Let's Fight - review

Jane Zussman

May 11, 2024, 11:49:32 PMMay 11
to Jane Zussman
I like to admit my prejudices so you can take my reviews with the appropriate grains of salt. For example, you probably know I’m not a fan of Shakespeare (though director Mary Job keeps trying to change my mind with her excellent renditions; don’t miss As You Like It, LCC Summer Stage outdoors June 26-30.)

So, I must admit, I LOVE the mini-shows-on-a-theme collections that Ixion Ensemble produces every season. They are always fresh and imaginative and surprising — and hardly ever use confusing Shakespearean language. This year’s “Let’s Fight” collection is no exception.

I’m not sure where all the scripts came from. I believe Ixion has a writers group and also solicits scripts from far and wide. I recognize local playwrights Adam Carlson and Heath Sartorius but there is no info on the authors in the program. Wherever/however they find them and whoever selects them (Jeff Croff?) the mini-scripts are mostly funny, twisted, creative, and sprinkled with insights into the human condition. Casts are small and sets are quick-change and contain common elements that reinforce the cohesion of the collection.

Director Rose Jangmi Cooper (and her A.D. Ny’kieria Blocker who directed one of the nine scripts) have assembled a versatile gang of actors to “fight” for us: Ann Carlson, Sarah Hayner, Teresa Hurd, Quinn Kelly, Jeff Kennedy, Rich Kopitsch, Nick Lemmer, Maureen Sawdon, Dillon Smith, and Ian Whipp. Most play multiple roles.

Because “surprising” is one of the selling points of this collection, I don’t want to give much away, but I can say that Kung Foolery by Brett Hursey offered a hilarious contrast between the fed-up Sarah Hayner and the fired-up Quinn Kelly. Jeff Kennedy aced two scripts that were near monologues. I really liked Fighting for Mr. Right by Barbara Lindsay, where Dillon Smith artfully countered Maureen Sawdon’s daunting dating requirements. Adam Carlson’s Kortal Mombat was a little scary. Nick Lemmer and Ian Whip were hilarious in The Heist by Lisa Dellagiarino Feriend. Rich Kopitsch was an amazing and necessary fight choreographer — as well as an acrobatic onstage fighter along with Ann Carlson in Heath’s script Not Part of the Choreography.

Only two more chances (5/17-18, 8pm) to see this entertaining collection “Let’s Fight!” at Stage One at Sycamore Creek Eastwood 2200 Lake Lansing Road, directly across from McAllister’s Deli. The driveway is down east side of the building and entry on the lower level in the back. (There is an elevator, and handicap parking in front.) $15 general admission tickets at:

Jane Zussman
G.L.U.T. List
(Greater Lansing Ubiquitous Theatre)
http://www.greaterlansingtheatre.net
To review past emails as they were sent, click “About the G.L.U.T.” and choose “email list” from the drop-down menu — also check out the all-theatres calendar.

“Like” us on Facebook!