The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged)(revised)[again] - review

Jane Zussman

Jun 20, 2024, 10:45:16 PM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to Jane Zussman
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged)(revised)[again] is a wild, multi-character rampage accomplished by only three remarkable actors (Ben Corsi, Oscar Quiroz and Raleigh Belle Wine) representing ALL Shakespeare’s plays. It was scripted but it felt like improvisation. The latest version is packed with contemporary references. I saw a version done by Peppermint Creek many years ago — I don’t remember the specifics but I’m pretty sure it didn’t include any T-Mobile ad references, or questions about peoples’ pronouns.

Director Alexis Black's über-energetic cast performed extended-abridged versions of both Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, with twisted tidbits of Titus Andronicus, Othello, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Two Noble Kinsmen, combined and glossed over the “sucky” comedies and King shows. There’s a scene where they account for every script to have been at least marginally referenced.

The fun set (Kessler Jones) offered handy places to hide and peek and change costumes, with a “window” portrait of the Bard, that spent much of the show wearing a clown nose. The vast array of costumes/wigs were all quick-change (Angie Wendelberger) with many props flying (Julie Clampitt.)

The mood is mostly bawdy and slapstick. There is no fourth wall as actors relate to the audience — and those sitting close will experience various water squirts and sprays simulating vomit, etc… with a couple good-sport volunteers briefly sharing the stage.

We did not stay for the post show entertainment (SCT Broadway Cabaret) Check out the website for a listing of pre and post show additions to the Summer Circle main shows.https://theatre.msu.edu/sct-2/
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged)(revised)[again] continues at 7 Friday and Saturday and 4pm on Sunday.

Jane Zussman
G.L.U.T. List
(Greater Lansing Ubiquitous Theatre)
http://www.greaterlansingtheatre.net
To review past emails as they were sent, click “About the G.L.U.T.” and choose “email list” from the drop-down menu — also check out the all-theatres calendar.

“Like” us on Facebook!