GEARs Scheduled Rides for the Week of July 29th & Beyond

Larry Diffie

Jul 28, 2024, 6:13:56 PM (3 days ago) Jul 28
to GEARs

Hello GEARs Group,

Looks like hotter days in store for us this next week – please take care and lather the water on real good and drink that suntan lotion – ok, maybe it’s the other way around – please be wise about your Riding.

This warmth makes going on Riding on the Oregon Coast a bit more enticing!  Ok, I volunteer!  I'll go!  Wait, I was already planning on going!  I’ll share photos!  I’d take you all with me, but my tent only holds me……sorry!  I do know you will find ways to stay cool while Riding this week!

We had 3 different Rides going in 3 different directions Saturday morning and 44 Riders participating – it’s great to have options, and we sure do try!

Jackie is out leading 12 to 14 mph Riders from Cottage Grove to Drain, Scott’s Valley and London and back again……….76 miles and a Level C.  I love the fact that we are scheduling more adventure Rides – there are many of our Members who like a long Ride with some decent gain!

Tomorrow, Monday, July 29th, at 8:30 a.m., Bob will lead our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out McKenzie View to Hill Rd and Back, 25 miles, 543’ gain.

On Tuesday, July 30th:

At 8:30 a.m., we are hoping to have a “Free, Fun Fox Hollow” Ride, to be led by Craig Congdon – stay tuned and keep looking for the signup page………….

At 6:00 p.m., Danielle will lead our “Monday Was Really UnGood and Tuesday Not Much Better – I Need Ride Therapy” 14 to 16 mph Riders up Fox Hollow, down McBeth, with a taste of Gimpl, 32 miles, 1963’ gain.  Please Bring Lights and this Ride subject to a flex on account of darkness………..

On Thursday, August 1st – yes, August is really upon us!

At 8:30 a.m.:

Sir Richard Hughes will lead 13 to 15 mph Riders out McKenzie View, Sunderman via the I-5 Path, 34 miles, 861’ gain.

Steve Husak will lead 16+ Riders to Veneta via Central, 47 miles, 1293’ gain.  Can you say, “I have a need for Speed?”

At 6:00 p.m., the Fabulous Angie will lead “I Need A Happy Hour Really Bad But Need This Ride More And First” 14 to 16 mph Riders out McKenzie View to Hill and Back, 25 miles, 543’ gain.  You do not have to need a Happy Hour to participate in this Ride – Drinking this Ride in is better than any Happy Hour!!!

On Saturday, August 3rd:

At 8:30 a.m., Ted will lead our 13 to 15 mph Riders out Coburg Rd to Herman and Back, 32 miles, 371’ gain.

Then there is our Joint Adventure with MVBC Gravel/Camping Weekend – with Camping and Riding, or you can just show up during the day and go for a Gravel Ride.  Both Rides (Saturday and Sunday) will start from the Camp at 9:30 a.m.  Saturday’s Ride is Sweet Creek Rd to North Smith River, 42 miles, 3823’ gain.  Sunday’s Ride is Whitaker Creek Camp to Swiss Home, 42 miles, 2714’ gain.  Please contact Max Rosenberg if you have questions – check out Signup Genius for contact info, and please sign up!  Thanks to Max for stepping in and helping to keep track of our Riders.  And thanks to Jack Schra for including us in to this weekend.  I am sure we will have more joint ventures moving forward!

On Monday, August 5th, Karen will lead our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out to Coburg Bottom Loop & Back, 27 miles, Level A.

And Beyond:

Saturday, August 17th, the bRamble Volunteer Rides:

At 7:30 a.m., Mr. John Reidy will lead 16+ Riders on the bRamble Wolf Creek Century (102 miles).

At 8:30 a.m.:

Steve Hecker will lead 13 to 15 mph Riders on the bRamble Metric Century (62 miles)

I will lead 10 to 12 mph Riders on the 40 Miler Volunteer Ride.

The goal is to allow Volunteers a chance to experience the routes that they may not be able to participate in – due to their taking the time to bRamble Volunteer; however, with that said, these Rides are also open to others and fill or normal Saturday Ride schedule.

On Sunday, August 18th, there is a tentatively scheduled GEARs and Emeralds Baseball Game at 5:30, not that GEARs will be playing, well, maybe in the stands.  And some GEARs Member will get to throw out the first ceremonial pitch.  More details in the works!

On then, on Sunday, August 25th – something Big!  Something that only happens once a year!  Yes, it’s the GEARs Blackberry bRamble Riding Events!!!!  Come one!  Come all!  And enjoy the beautiful rolling hills and countryside that surrounds our amazing cities!

And there will be more Beyonds!

My sincere and great thanks to all the Ride Leaders who have supported me over the past 4 years!  You have made this a blast and a hoot for me!  And we would not be the same Wonderful Bike Club that we are without you!  And thanks to Garry Swanson who force fed me into using a calendar and being creative – ok, Garry does force anyone, he just shows up and slogs through – he has been an amazing Mentor to me and I appreciate him!  Thanks to Mike Cantrell who put up with all my “What do you mean I can’t do that” and other similar phrases – we worked through everything that we needed to, to get where we are today.    And many thanks to Kentucky Bob Lewis, who did not hesitate in agreeing to replace me when I stepped to the side!  He has been doing so for a few months now and he will do great with the same support you all have given me!

We have a GREAT Bicycle Club!

Peace,

Larry