OR 58: Coast Fork Willamette River Bridges Construction Paving

Richard Hughes

Jul 21, 2024, 7:39:24 PM (9 days ago) Jul 21
to GEARs List Serve, Robert Lewis, Larry Diffie

Larry DIFFIE

Jul 21, 2024, 10:11:52 PM (9 days ago) Jul 21
to Richard Hughes, GEARs List Serve, Robert Lewis
I couldn't find any dates listed...........    looks like only one will be of any concern - if.....???

Jul 25, 2024, 9:51:12 PM (5 days ago) Jul 25
to Greater-Eugen...@googlegroups.com, Rob Zako, TAYLOR Becky G
I went to ODOT's page and didn't see anything about making improvements to make the Highway 58n bridge across the Coast Fork of the Willamette safer for bicyclists and pedestrians, such as a protected shoulder on the outside of the bridge.

Was there any outreach or scoping of this project?  If not, why not?  This might have been an ideal time to improve a major bottleneck for people biking and walking on Highway 58.  I might not know the whole story but it sure appears that ODOT dropped the ball.

Allen

Rob Zako

Jul 25, 2024, 10:07:35 PM (5 days ago) Jul 25
to Richard Hughes, Allen Hancock, TAYLOR Becky G, greater-eugen...@googlegroups.com
Richard: Thank you for the alert!

Allen: This is the first I heard about this $31.6 million project. To put that amount into context, it is equal to the total statewide funding for Safe Routes to Schools projects over 2 or 3 years!

Becky: Recognizing that Highway 58 is a state not a county facility, are these bridges identified in Lane County's Bicycle Master Plan as places where improvements are needed?

Rob Zako

Jul 26, 2024, 12:34:44 AM (5 days ago) Jul 26
to Richard Hughes, Allen Hancock, Kayna Robison, Karen Goodwin, TAYLOR Becky G, greater-eugen...@googlegroups.com
Dear fellow cyclists and Becky with Lane County,

Note that the four bridges are not being simply repaved but rather retrofitted to better withstand an earthquake. Connecting the Willamette Valley to Central Oregon will be critical after a major one. But from the ODOT project page, it isn't clear whether each bridge will retain its current width, or if retrofitting might expand the width and allow for the addition of bicycle lanes.

Note also that I will answer my own question to Becky Taylor. The Lane County Bicycle Master Plan calls for projects adding a 6' shoulder on each side of Highway 58 from Matthews Road (near Goshen) all the way to LaDuke Road (near Westfir), and also installing buffered/protected bike lanes from Westfir‐Oakridge Road (west of Oakridge) to Kitson Springs Road (east of Oakridge).
  • Highway 58 from Matthews Rd to Enterprise Rd: Construct 6' shoulders ($15,628,000)
  • Highway 58 from Enterprise Rd to Wheeler Rd: Construct 6' shoulders ($13,301,000)
  • Highway 58 from Wheeler Rd to Dexter Rd: Construct 6' shoulders ($646,000)
  • Highway 58 from Dexter Rd to Jasper‐Lowell Rd: Construct 6' shoulders ($11,279,000)
  • Highway 58 from Jasper‐Lowell Rd to LaDuke Rd: Construct 6' shoulders ($58,514)
  • Highway 58 from Westfir‐Oakridge Rd to Kitson Springs Rd: Install buffered/protected bike lanes ($117,000)
It looks to me like three of the four bridge projects (all but the easternmost Lower Salt Creek Bridge) are contained within these projects to widen Highway 58 to provide safe lanes for people bicycling.

Note that these six bicycle projects (and many others) were explicitly added into the Lane County Transportation System Plan (TSP) when the Board of County Commissioners formally adopted the Lane County Bicycle Master Plan in 2022. But as ODOT, not Lane County, owns Highway 58, the county plan explicitly notes that coordination between Lane County and ODOT is required for these bicycle projects to get on ODOT's list. I do not know whether or not that has happened, hence whether ODOT's plans to retrofit four bridges would take the opportunity to widen these bridges at the same time.

Lastly, I will note that traditionally GEARs has been a bicycling club. People who like to ride might enjoy having good and safe facilities to do so — but not necessarily enjoy advocating for safe facilities! On the other hand, the mission of my nonprofit BEST (Better Eugene-Springfield Transportation) includes ensuring safe ways to get around through Lane County, including for people bicycling. Our Cycle of Change Biking working group is looking to expand safe bicycling routes. Currently the focus is on routes within the City of Eugene.

But if there is interest in working on rural routes, we'd welcome anyone with energy. We can provide assistance on what could be done:
  1. Consult with Lane County and ODOT to confirm what is planned, both long-term and with these four bridge projects.
  2. Write a formal letter to ODOT highlighting the opportunity to improve bike safety while making bridges more resilient.
  3. If staff are not providing the desired answers, as for key elected officials — a county commissioner or a state legislator — to provide assistance.
Best wishes,
Rob

--
Rob Zako (he/him/his)
Executive Director

BEST is building a successful community by bringing people together to promote transportation options, safe streets, and walkable neighborhoods.

Rob Zako

Jul 30, 2024, 2:20:04 PM (16 hours ago) Jul 30
to Richard Hughes, Allen Hancock, Kayna Robison, Karen Goodwin, GEARs Group, Cycle of Change Biking, TAYLOR Becky
Dear fellow cyclists … and Becky with Lane County, now using her correct email address!

Thank you to Becky for checking in with ODOT. She reports:

I had a chance to check-in with ODOT about the project. It does not involve bridge replacements or structural alternations which is what would be necessary for adding bike/ped amenities. Most of the proposed work is underneath the existing bridges to better withstand an earthquake. The funding is limited to this scope of work.

I understand that since 2014 ODOT has had a plan to retrofit their own bridge on state highways and are proceeding to do so as funding becomes available.

That said, circumstances and priorities can chance, especially in response to input from local officials and the public. In particular, when last month ODOT reported to the Metropolitan Policy Committee their plans to retrofit bridges, local officials highlighted the fact that there is no longer a hospital on the Eugene side of the Willamette River and having access to PeaceHealth Riverbend after a major earthquake will be critical. Thus local officials asked ODOT if they might retrofit some local bridges that are perhaps more critical. Read more.

I suggest that it would be useful for some from GEARs to draft a letter to ODOT asking about the possibility of modifying the scope of the four bridge projects to add bicycle lanes — or about ODOT's future plans to help build out elements of Lane County's Bicycle Master Plan.

BEST (and possible our Biking working group) would be happy to support this work. But it will be more effective coming from people who ride and know Highway 58.

If you are interested in following up, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Rob

P.S. Back in 2001, the Ferry Street Bridge across the Willamette River was retrofitted with funding that Congressman DeFazio had secured. In addition to building the bicycle bridge named after him, I believe that the bike lanes on the outsides of the Ferry Street Bridge were added at that time. Thus it is is technically possible to do so as part of a larger project.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2024 at 4:18 PM TAYLOR Becky <becky....@lanecountyor.gov> wrote:

Hi Rob and Richard,

I had a chance to check-in with ODOT about the project. It does not involve bridge replacements or structural alternations which is what would be necessary for adding bike/ped amenities. Most of the proposed work is underneath the existing bridges to better withstand an earthquake. The funding is limited to this scope of work.

I appreciate your interest in identifying any opportunity to improve bike/ped safety. I can also share the frustration about the lack of opportunity to do so. This feels a lot like some of the County pavement preservation projects in which people ask why we can’t just add a little more pavement for a shoulder. If only it were that easy.

Anyway, I was able to emphasize that this road is a key bicycle route for Lane County and that safety improvements are needed. Funding is the barrier. So your advocacy about needing funding for multi-modal safety is much appreciated.

Here is more information from ODOT about the project:

This project consisting of the four structures are part of an initial series of work for a long term plan of resilience for the State. “In case of a major seismic event in Oregon, the main help for affected areas is expected to come from the eastern part of our state and from our neighbor states. Redmond Airport will be used as the main hub for providing goods and medical supplies for those in need… Creating a resilient highway system that would provide East-West freight movement becomes an important task… “https://www.oregon.gov/odot/Bridge/Docs_Seismic/Seismic-Plus-Report_2014.pdf

OR58 between Eugene and US97 is a critical piece of the overall plan of resiliency.  The four existing bridges that are being worked on makes for them to be retrofitted to meet seismic standards:

  1. Coast Fork Willamette River Bridge: Majority of the work being done is under the roadway with the foundations, crossmembers, and columns. To conclude this work, next season we will be working on strengthening the trusses above the roadway.
  2. Barnard Bridge: Similarly, majority of the work for this existing structure is under the roadway (bearings, foundations modifications, etc). We will be placing a wearing surface above the deck.
  3. Salmon Creek Bridge: This existing structure has modifications to be done with its footings, bearing pads, slope paving, etc. This is a 4-lane structure with shoulders and only the joints along the roadway are to be sealed as part of this project.
  4. Lower Salt Creek Bridge:  This existing bridge is scheduled for restrainers, bearing pads, etc.  We will be placing a newer wearing surface above the deck similar to the Barnard structure.

Thanks,

Becky Taylor

Senior Transportation Planner

Lane County Public Works