has been automatically removed from your browser...

Rick Bauer

Sep 20, 2019, 2:16:54 PM9/20/19
to greasemonkey-users
What on earth makes anyone at greasemonkey think they have the mental capacity to decide for me which scripts I want to run and more importantly who feels they have the right to just remove scripts I use regularly from MY browser?

I'm not even sure that is legal without permission of the owner.

This is completely disrespectful to your users and is an insult the same as if you told your users you could care less how they feel or what they want.

Anthony Lieuallen

Sep 20, 2019, 4:12:27 PM9/20/19
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Greasemonkey doesn't do this.  More detail would be constructive.

(Looks like you're probably seeing a feature from some particular site hosting a script which you've installed.  That exact phrase shows up in Google related to one of these sites.  e.g.)

Dan Almashy

Sep 20, 2019, 5:23:54 PM9/20/19
to greasemonkey-users
   While someone is on looking, can I ask why my greasemonkey doesn't delete my old facebook posts etc when I tell it to? I have tried it multiple times on firefox and it goes through the motions but never does actually delete anything. I have stuff from 9 years ago and just want to clear most of it other than recent stuff, maybe I need to do something other to make it work?

LWChris

Sep 21, 2019, 2:00:23 PM9/21/19
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

Just to make it clear:

Greasemonkey or Greasemonkey scripts cannot delete Facebook posts directly, all any script could do is provide an easy way to automate what you'd have to do by hand on Facebook. So if there is the ability to delete an old Facebook post by clicking a "Delete" link and confirm a popup dialog, a dedicated script could click the link and confirm the popup for you.

It sounds like you have such script that tries to automate deleting old posts, and chances are Facebook updated something on their side and now the script does no longer know what to do because the page's source code is now different at a certain part that the script needed to find the things it needed to click on.

An arbitrary example to illustrate what I mean would be that the delete links were previously tagged with "fb-action-delete-post" and now they're named "fb-action-remove-post". The script tries to identify the delete link by looking for a post's "fb-action-delete-post" link; now it doesn't find that link, hence it doesn't know what to do and does nothing.

Usually, script authors will fix such issues on their side and update the script at the website it was hosted on. However there a chance the script has been abandonned by the original author, or (s)he hasn't fixed it yet, or the automated update doesn't work. If you remember where you go the script from, try visiting that page and see if there have been any updates published.

Chris

Rick Bauer

Sep 21, 2019, 3:06:23 PM9/21/19
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Facebook has nothing to do with my post so please create a post related to your post and your Facebook script.

I want to know what makes greasemonkey admins think they know what scripts I want to run and what on earth makes them think they have the right to remove scripts I have chosen to install and run from my browser without my knowledge or permission?

I could understand no longer distributing it or allowing it to be hosted on their site but I feel it is very disrespectful and likely illegal to remove things from my browser without my knowledge or permission.

It is not in any way related to facebook or the problems you are describing so please don't confuse this thread with unrelated problems.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may include
restricted, protected, and/or proprietary information, and may be used only

Björn Kautler

Sep 21, 2019, 3:11:04 PM9/21/19
to greasemonkey-users
Rick, didn't Anthony already explain to you, that it is not Greasemonkey that did this?
And also he asked for further details to be able to maybe tell you whom to shout at
instead of the Greasemonkey people that do not deserve to be the target of your anger
as it is not Greasemonkey that does this?

Cheers
Björn

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 2:16:54 PM UTC-4, Rick Bauer wrote:
What on earth makes anyone at greasemonkey think they have the mental capacity to decide for me which scripts I want to run and more importantly who feels they have the right to just remove scripts I use regularly from MY browser?

I'm not even sure that is legal without permission of the owner.

This is completely disrespectful to your users and is an insult the same as if you told your users you could care less how they feel or what they want.

Dan Almashy

Rick Bauer

Sep 21, 2019, 3:41:10 PM9/21/19
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
If he did ask for more information I did not receive the request. I would gladly have supplied it.

Gmail seems to lose a lot of mail.

I started getting a bunch of windows popping up last night telling me greasemonkey removed the script without my knowledge or permission.
That will give the basics...I used the script with no problems, no negative effects and no reason to remove it....I did not give permission for it to be removed from my browser.

Yes, it is last years date but minor tweaks would have kept it active and working, now I have to start from scratch. I'm thinking it's time to remove greasemonkey and upgrade to tampermonkey or one of the other alternatives.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may include
restricted, protected, and/or proprietary information, and may be used only
for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this
e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the
reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail
immediately. Notice: The disclosure of private information is strictly
prohibited by federal regulation. Unauthorized release of private
information may result in administrative, civil and criminal sanctions.

Björn Kautler

Sep 21, 2019, 3:59:13 PM9/21/19
to greasemonkey-users
Well, your screenshot is pretty self-explaining, isn't it?
On the page where you got the script from, namely Greasy Fork, the script was deleted, so you got a pseudo-update that tells you it was deleted.
If you look at the page of that script on Greasy Fork: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/375672-christmas-town-2018
you see the script was deleted and replaced by AntiAdware: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4294-antiadware

So I suggest you simply install the replacement or if you insist, shout at Greasy Fork, not at GreaseMonkey.
GreaseMonkey is just executing the script in your browser, Greasy Fork is the page where the script was deleted.

Alternatively to using the replacement, you can also install a previous version of the script and disable the auto-update functionality for that script.
For each single script you have available in Greasemonkey, you can choose whether to auto-update it or not.

Cheers
Björn

Robert G. Werner

Sep 21, 2019, 5:30:58 PM9/21/19
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com, Björn Kautler
On 9/21/19 12:59 PM, Björn Kautler wrote:
> Well, your screenshot is pretty self-explaining, isn't it?
> On the page where you got the script from, namely Greasy Fork, the
> script was deleted, so you got a pseudo-update that tells you it was
> deleted.
[snip]
> Cheers
> Björn
[snip]
Well said and clearly explained!

--
In Reach Technology: http://www.inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
rob...@inreachtech.net

Tel: 559.304.5122

It wasn't that she had a rose in her teeth, exactly. It was more like
the rose and the teeth were in the same glass.

Rick Bauer

Sep 25, 2019, 3:44:15 AM9/25/19
to greasemonkey-users
I am sorry and you are correct. I was complaining at the wrong place. Please accept my apolology.