Moving Greasemonkey to Github

Aaron Boodman

May 3, 2009, 3:12:17 AM5/3/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com
http://blog.devjavu.com/2009/05/01/devjavu-will-be-shutting-down/

As Devjavu is shutting down, we need to move Greasemonkey elsewhere.
Github seems to be the most popular these days, and I like Git, so I
was thinking there.

Thoughts?

- a

Olivier Cornu

May 3, 2009, 6:47:13 AM5/3/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com

Sounds very good to me. :-)
Switching to Git will probably make it easier to integrate external
code contributions.
As a side note, the GM code i've been working on is hosted on GitHub too.

What about the ticket tracker, if GM is moving out of DevjaVu?

--
Olivier

Aaron Boodman

May 3, 2009, 12:02:08 PM5/3/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com
Github has an alpha issue tracker. I've not used it, but I figured we
could try it out. If it doesn't work, I guess we can use another
hosted trac instance.

- a

Pas

May 3, 2009, 12:47:09 PM5/3/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Launchpad has a very hand issue tracker. Also SourceForge started to
support git sometime ago and their tracker is just half bad.

I've never used TRAC with Git, but GitPlugin exitst for it, maybe it's
stable enough.

Just to throw in a few ideas.

-- Pas

vBm

May 3, 2009, 1:18:32 PM5/3/09
to greasemonkey-dev
What's wrong with Google code ?

a lot of projects are there and if it's good for firebug for instance
why wouldn't it be for gm ? ;x

Anthony Lieuallen

May 3, 2009, 3:27:40 PM5/3/09
On 5/3/2009 3:12 AM, Aaron Boodman wrote:
> As Devjavu is shutting down, we need to move Greasemonkey elsewhere.
> Github seems to be the most popular these days, and I like Git, so I
> was thinking there.

So, github is primarily source-control, but not issue tracker/wiki like
we had at Trac. Google code would provide both of those, sourceforge
would provide much of it. We could consider setting up a copy of Trac
for a direct migration.

I'm neither for nor against git. I've heard plenty of good things/seen
plenty of momentum, but personally had minimal exposure so far.

Johan Sundström

May 3, 2009, 6:16:03 PM5/3/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com

+1. Github is nice, and I think the subversion repository / management
model is growing rather dated, more hampering than helping
development, these days. I'm not sure about their issue tracker
either, but I'd rather try it out than not.

I ran a test import from devjavu at
http://github.com/johan/greasemonkey/ with their webby thing, which
claims to have succeeded, but seems to have failed importing anything
after January 27, 2009, so presumbly manual (well, in the sense of
running svn2git somewhere by hand) labour might be needed. As for
committer mapping, I ran a lightly fixed version of Olivier's one he
posted here a while ago (it had found some other odd name for Stephen
Paul Weber):

aran...@gmail.com = Anthony Lieuallen <aran...@gmail.com>
at...@atrus.org = Nikolas Coukouma <at...@atrus.org>
bo...@youngpup.net = Aaron Boodman <bo...@youngpup.net>
ginger...@gmail.com = Gareth Andrew <ginger...@gmail.com>
i...@mckellar.org = Ian McKellar <i...@mckellar.org>
loucyp...@gmail.com = LouCypher <loucyp...@gmail.com>
ma...@jesperkristensen.dk = Jesper Kristensen <ma...@jesperkristensen.dk>
moe...@moeffju.net = Matthias Bauer <moe...@moeffju.net>
o.c...@gmail.com = Olivier Cornu <o.c...@gmail.com>
oya...@gmail.com = Johan Sundström <oya...@gmail.com>
singp...@gmail.com = Stephen Paul Weber <singp...@gmail.com>
thal...@hotmail.com = Marti Martz <thal...@hotmail.com>

It seems Olivier's churned away on a
http://github.com/ocornu/webmonkey/ fork for a month or two already,
doing substantial refactoring work since activity subsided here. I'm
hopeful the easy repository forking and pushing-back-and-forward
development model of git might prove useful for the user scripting
community at large.

I have tried convincing myself that the heavy-set, conservative,
process of adding forward momentum to Greasemonkey has been mostly
beneficial, but I don't think I ever really managed to side with it
more than against it -- when ambition and hackery efforts habitually
evaded touching Greasemonkey, something's not quite right, considering
how much I use that tool. I'll try to stay on top of both projects I
think; if Webmonkey is new, fun experimental land and Greasemonkey the
stable maintenance mode project, that might prove a decent development
model for the future.

Sandboxing new incomprehensible-to-most features until it grows
apparent what they're good for, from use in the wild, is likely a much
more effortless way of doing user scripting evolution than upfront
process trying to convince everybody the whats, hows and whys.

--
/ Johan Sundström

gibbon...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2009, 6:22:07 AM5/4/09
to greasemonkey-dev
The two options seem to be to move to another SVN server or to move to
GIT.

To be specific lets say these optins are:
1) move to SVN at google code
2) move to GIT at say github.com

3 issues I see are:
1) GIT places do not have a mature ticket tracking system or wiki
system.
2) GIT does not have a mature client like Tortoise SVN
3) google is more robust and less likely to go out of business than
places like dejavu or github.

I would suggest as a first step migrating from dejavu to google code.
That should preserve everything.

As a second step, that SVN can be experimentally GITified. If Git
advocates can demonstrate a mature ticket tracker and client then most
of GM in google code can be abandoned. We could still keep the Wiki
part and update it through SVN. Not to long ago I got TortiseSVN up on
my box and the local SVN server so that my userscripts directory is
under local SVN. I most definitely do not want to go back to a command
line interface to use GIT.

Another option is that there might be some automagic way to
synchronize a SVN repository with a GIT one. I don't mean fine scale
semantic equivalence but one where if somebody finishes a major
revision (such as a new released GM version) in SVN or GIT then it can
be propagated to the other repository.

gibbon...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2009, 9:23:53 AM5/4/09
to greasemonkey-dev
I've looked at Olivier Cornu's GIT WebMonkey refactorization:

http://wiki.github.com/ocornu/webmonkey

One problem there is that it has much less tools for finding things
(E.g. "where is GM_setValue defined?").

One thing not mentioned at his github site is that he is adding
comments to the code to make it 'auto documentating', so I edited his
Wiki to give a pointer to the auto documentation.

Anthony Lieuallen

May 4, 2009, 1:44:24 PM5/4/09
to greasemo...@googlegroups.com
Just found this link via HN:

http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200903/code_hosting_choices.html
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=592416

Appears to be a bunch of valuable info in the comments.

Johan Sundström

May 6, 2009, 4:37:27 PM5/6/09
2009/5/3 Johan Sundström <oya...@gmail.com>:

> I ran a test import from devjavu at
> http://github.com/johan/greasemonkey/ with their webby thing, which
> claims to have succeeded, but seems to have failed importing [...]

I've deleted and manually reimported the devjavu repository now --
http://github.com/johan/greasemonkey/tree/master works, and should now
contain the entire history we had in subversion at devjavu.

--
/ Johan Sundström, http://ecmanaut.blogspot.com/