Missing menu button

Peter Riocreux

Mar 24, 2015, 8:06:22 PM3/24/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if I am last to the party here, but I have finally put a little effort into working out how to access the settings of GrazeRSS on a phone without a menu button (such as my Galaxy S5 mini), and as I have seen no discussion of this on here I thought I would share.

It turns out to be remarkably easy - a long press on the recent-applications button brings it up. The recent applications switcher button is the one that looks like two overlapping application windows.

The arrangement may vary between devices, but the screenshot on the followinglink shows theicon of the relevant button:

Hope that proves of help to someone.

Pete

Alan J Robertson

Mar 24, 2015, 8:11:10 PM3/24/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, never knew that worked - I get the 3 dots on all my devices when using GrazeRSS though so I haven't had to use this workaround.

Alan

Alan J Robertson

Apr 25, 2015, 7:51:50 AM4/25/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

Just to update - on the Galaxy S6 there's no '3 dots' menu button but thankfully I remembered reading this thread and a variation on a theme works - a long press on the back key! Weird but it works!

Alan

Василий Суматохин

Dec 16, 2015, 7:56:07 AM12/16/15
to GrazeRSS, a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk
There is no menu button on most Meizu phones. It would be very useful.

Travis Tabbal

Dec 16, 2015, 8:39:48 AM12/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

Does the long press on back/recents work? For applications targeting the older API Android is supposed to add a menu button. On AOSP 6.1 (Nexus 6) that's what happens. Pie control apps like LMT usually offer menu buttons as well, so that's another option.

Nelson Ricciardi

Dec 16, 2015, 9:59:03 AM12/16/15
to grazerss
Travis
In my Galaxy S5 I see no "3 dots". I need to long press the "task manager" button to get the menu.

Travis Tabbal

Dec 16, 2015, 11:24:48 AM12/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's Samsung playing loose with the specs again. I have no idea why, it's not like it takes up much room in the nav bar. On AOSP it's a tiny button off to the right side, only shown when an app wants to use it.

Alan J Robertson

Dec 16, 2015, 3:24:47 PM12/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

It looks like Samsung caught up I one of their updates a few months back (sorry, forgot to post back here). When required there's a floating 3 dots than can be moved around, sound similar to AOSP? Doubt many non-expert users will work out what it's for though! You can also move it around, although it resets to bottom right next time it appears. Screenshot attached.

Alan

Screenshot_2015-12-17-07-22-10.png

Travis Tabbal

Dec 16, 2015, 3:31:53 PM12/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
That's a little nuts, but sure, it can work. Do they not have any nav bar on screen at all then? On AOSP, there's always a nav bar with back/home/recents on screen. Then the 3-dot menu shows up way off to the right on demand.

I really should do something with the UI, but it's so clean and fast I hate to mess with it. :)

Alan J Robertson

Dec 16, 2015, 3:46:30 PM12/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

No, the application switcher is bottom left below the screen (touch-sensitive area), the back bottom right (same) and the home is a physical button below the screen. I've also got a Nexus 7 and 9 and now I think of it I know precisely what you mean re how it is handled there - much more intuitive! Annoyingly back and switch app are the opposite way round on Samsung!

I'm in agreement on the UI TBH - I love how efficient it is, especially pinning articles then marking everything else as read! My only (tiny) bugbear is the switch between feed and Web mode, I seem to have to try tapping quite a few times to manage this but suspect it might be a Samsung issue too and I don't remember it being a problem on the Nexus 5 - it's as if it has a smaller tolerance for what counts as a tap in the header area.

A.