Web content only after refresh

Nelson Ricciardi

Mar 25, 2017, 10:50:02 AM3/25/17
to grazerss
Hello guys.
I'm having an issue with some of my feeds. They only show in web display after I request a refresh.
The first download or presentation always shows article + picture.
One example is USA Today. The feed is setup to download and display web page and it is not working. Other feeds are showing the same behavior while others work just fine.

My engine is Feedly.

Any suggestions? I tried a complete reinstall but the behavior remains the same.
Screenshot_20170324-163216.png

Nelson Ricciardi

Mar 28, 2017, 6:55:34 AM3/28/17
to grazerss
Hello.
Is this group here the proper channel for support?

hronir

Mar 28, 2017, 7:15:31 AM3/28/17
to GrazeRSS
   I'm experiencing the same issue too, e.g. with a feed from blogspot: https://backreaction.blogspot.it/
   Let me take this opportunity to thank whoever is still working on GrazeRSS: it's still the better feed-reader for Android — notwithstanding it would need a few adjustments, for example to comply the accessibility of the option-menu through the long-press of the physical buttons when present (instead of just through the three-dots within the recent-app on-screen button).
   Kudos to everybody!

Mark Otway

Mar 28, 2017, 7:20:49 AM3/28/17
to GrazeRSS
I don't believe anyone is working on it. Travis has been the only developer on it for years, and judging by the github repo, there haven't really been any major commits since 2013!

hronir

Mar 28, 2017, 7:26:28 AM3/28/17
to GrazeRSS
   Sad news.
   We're looking for volunteers! :)

Travis Tabbal

Mar 28, 2017, 12:13:19 PM3/28/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I honestly don't have a lot I want to change. And I'm not a fan of change for the sake of change to be new/shiney.

For the menu, keep in mind it targets 2.3. OEMs are supposed to display a menu button when an app registers a menu command. That they don't is annoying. For the record, AOSP from Google does. So any Android that doesn't, the manufacturer went out of their way to prevent it. The only way to avoid it is to rewrite the UI. I have considered adding a menu button to the existing button bar. It's not perfect, but might work. The down side is there isn't a lot of space on it. The "standard" place would be on the top left, the app icon is there now, and when tapped it goes to the main reading screen. I don't have any data about how often it is used. I suspect a number of people don't even know it's there. :) I didn't do it for the last release as I suspect it would be annoying for users without a bigger UI change to tip them off that it's different.

As for the web content... That's tricky. There are a lot of dependencies on the server side, which I don't control. I suspect there is throttling at play, the remote site doesn't like us hitting them with many requests in a short time. Web caching is tricky and getting worse. Many sites use live scripting to display their content, and since we aren't running a browser to download the content, we aren't running the scripts. A number of sites really don't like the way we do things. They want all that crap to shove their ads at you. So they try to prevent it. It might also look like "scraping" to them. I guess it sort of is in a way, but for your own personal use. It's not like you send the content anywhere. But they can't know that. I've tried slowing it down a little, it helps with the failed downloads, but it also means wakelocks stay up longer. That means more battery use. Perhaps I'll try to make it user configurable. Maybe even per feed. But then per-feed settings get cluttered.... I really wish Google had made the "reading mode" from Chrome API accessible. It would be cool to feed it URLS, have it download and send the content back for storage. One thing I've considered is trying to get AMP pages to work cached. They would be lightweight, already mobile friendly. Not everyone supports it, but it might be interesting.

I am always willing to consider ideas and code submissions. If you know a developer that wants to donate some time, have them contact me and I'll help them get started, merge pull requests, and post updates to the play store. I had a request to support innoreader recently, that might happen as the API looks to be compatible with The Old Reader. I am considering UI ideas. The simplest option is to use Material. It would look a lot like GMail, but I guess that's what people are into these days. I personally think it goes from one style of "somewhat boring UI" to another in that case... That's not really a bad thing, it's not like there are a lot of opportunities to dress up a list of articles. But if you have some ideas, try drawing them up in a wireframe, photoshop, whatever you like to use. Or even write an "app" that's just a UI to display what it looks like.

The first thing to do to really make a new development push is to get it building in Android Studio. Right now, it uses the old Eclipse based build system. I had started that, but had to drop everything because Google decided to be annoying about permissions.

hronir .

Mar 29, 2017, 6:40:24 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
   Thanks a lot Travis!
   So, Mark, there're no such sad news :)
   For the menu, maybe my English is broken, let me try again with more words, I hope you understand.
   I have a One Plus 3, which can use off-screen physical/touch buttons instead of on-screen ones for back/recent-apps. If I use the on-screen buttons, I see the extra menu button (three vertical dots) near the right recent button, and everything is ok.
   Of course the physical off-screen buttons' layout cannot be changed adding a menu-button extension, but users can bind an action to long-pressing them, and one choice available is to show the option menu, if available in the app.
   So, as far as I know of programming (which is little) I think for GrazeRSS there's some (new? maybe available in latest Android OS releases?) callback to comply with, or to bind with, whatever, so that the system call associated with such a long-press can trigger the option menu in GrazeRSS.
   I hope it's clearer now what was my point.
   I don't know how effort it could require.
   For sure it's not a show stopper (whenever I need to access the settings, I switch to on-screen button, so that I can access the three-dot option menu, do whatever I meant to do, and eventually switch back to the off-screen physical buttons), just a quite annoying missing-feature.
   Thanks again for everything, Travis!

Alan J Robertson

Mar 29, 2017, 6:43:05 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
For menu on Samsung devices a long-press on the back button should
make it pop-up - not a great implementation by them in my view, but at
least it does work. If there was an easy way to put a menu in then
I'd be supportive - it would certainly be more discoverable for users.
Perhaps if the top-left menu icon was changed we could make the top
item Home, so that a double tap would have the same effect as a single
one now.

Alan
>> email to grazerss+u...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --

Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

hronir .

Mar 29, 2017, 8:42:48 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
On 29 March 2017 at 12:42, Alan J Robertson <a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk> wrote:
For menu on Samsung devices a long-press on the back button should
make it pop-up - not a great implementation by them in my view, but at
least it does work.

   This is exactly the behaviour I would expect, but donno why in my OP3T it doesn't work...

> --

Sent by Alan J Robertson (a...@alanjrobertson.co.uk)
Tel: +44 (0)7939-558-403

Travis Tabbal

Mar 29, 2017, 9:37:19 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
For the hardware keys, OnePlus would need to have them send the menu command to the application. If Android tells me that you want to see the menu, I show it. The fact is, it's likely that OnePlus didn't bother to implement it. It's not reasonable to expect every application to work around every random thing hardware makers do. The menu command has been in Android since the first public release. I could power up my G1 and after the 10 minute boot, it would work. There is no excuse for OnePlus not to have some way to send it.

The only simple way to add an on screen option is to do something with the button bar. I'll look around a bit.

hronir .

Mar 29, 2017, 9:56:18 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
   In other apps the long-press action does indeed show the option menu: of course GrazeRSS is not the only exception that fails in doing it, but most of apps comply to the long-press action...

Travis Tabbal

Mar 29, 2017, 11:39:41 AM3/29/17
to graz...@googlegroups.com
And it works on every other device, so I'm not sure what to suggest. What I'm trying to avoid is writing custom code for each device out there. The whole point of an operating system is to prevent applications from having to do that. The OS tells me when commands are requested by the user, I respond to them. That it works when the nav bar is enabled tells me it's the implementation in the OS that is the problem. If it were universal, the nav bar would not work either.

OnePlus is not sending the standard menu command, so I'm not displaying the menu. If OnePlus disagrees with me on that, I'm happy to discuss it with them. However, without connecting one to the debugger, I don't know what they are up to. I understand that the menu command is "old", but it's completely valid, even on 7.x. Doing things like binding directly to buttons causes other problems. What happens when that button doesn't exist on the device? What if the OEM used that button for something else? Not to mention the mess of code to support it. I don't know if you were around then, but it's not much different than every program having to ask the user which sound card they have, and what its hardware address and IRQ are like the old DOS games had to. Down that road lies madness.

The "new standard" for menus is for the app to have an on-screen button for it, rather than rely on the OS to request one. I personally think it's a bit backward, but whatever. Most applications have some form of button/status bar so I guess it's not any worse for screen space. The thing I don't like about it is that it's inconsistent. Even GMail, the message list has it top-left, but when replying it's on the top-right. Chrome has it on the right, Hangouts on the left, etc...

I could probably put a menu button up on the right, that would be more obvious for users.