Offline Rendering Issue After Upgrading to 4.4.2

Bryan Sells

Nov 21, 2014, 11:44:42 AM11/21/14
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I am experiencing a problem that I think may be related to my recent upgrade from Android 4.3 to 4.4 on my AT&T Galaxy Note 2.  Since the upgrade, feeds set to download Articles + Images + Web Page do not render the page properly.  But if I switch the feed to download Articles + Images only and then switch to web mode while online, the page renders just fine within GrazeRSS, and exactly as it did before the upgrade.  I'm using GrazeRSS 2.0.7 and Android 4.4.2.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Any thoughts on how to resolve it?

Chad Johnson

Nov 21, 2014, 12:30:54 PM11/21/14
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I've been having the same thing but didn't put much thought into it.  I found that reloading the page (Menu --> Refresh Content) loads the page correctly.  I had assumed that I was just in a bad data spot the first time that happened.

I'm also on GrazeRSS 2.0.7 on Android 4.4.2 but on a Samsung Galaxy III.

--Chad
-------------------------

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Bryan Sells <br...@sellsmail.com> wrote:
I am experiencing a problem that I think may be related to my recent upgrade from Android 4.3 to 4.4 on my AT&T Galaxy Note 2.  Since the upgrade, feeds set to download Articles + Images + Web Page do not render the page properly.  But if I switch the feed to download Articles + Images only and then switch to web mode while online, the page renders just fine within GrazeRSS, and exactly as it did before the upgrade.  I'm using GrazeRSS 2.0.7 and Android 4.4.2.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Any thoughts on how to resolve it?

Travis Tabbal

Nov 21, 2014, 12:49:30 PM11/21/14
to graz...@googlegroups.com

There are some issues with CSS on some feeds. Many work fine, but some don't. I will be investigating it to narrow down why some work and some don't. I haven't seen any obvious common link yet.

On Nov 21, 2014 9:44 AM, "Bryan Sells" <br...@sellsmail.com> wrote:
I am experiencing a problem that I think may be related to my recent upgrade from Android 4.3 to 4.4 on my AT&T Galaxy Note 2.  Since the upgrade, feeds set to download Articles + Images + Web Page do not render the page properly.  But if I switch the feed to download Articles + Images only and then switch to web mode while online, the page renders just fine within GrazeRSS, and exactly as it did before the upgrade.  I'm using GrazeRSS 2.0.7 and Android 4.4.2.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Any thoughts on how to resolve it?

Bryan Sells

Nov 21, 2014, 1:02:36 PM11/21/14
to graz...@googlegroups.com
Two that are really bad for me are Lifehacker and Android Central, though these are not the only ones affected.

The Articles + Images + Web Page is a setting that I use sparingly, and generally only when a feed is truncated and the simplified web page yields unsatisfactory results.  Let me know if you would like me to test any particular feeds.

Thanks for looking into this.

Bryan Sells

Bryan Sells

Feb 16, 2015, 8:29:25 PM2/16/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com

Any progress with this bug?  It's killing me.

Travis Tabbal

Feb 18, 2015, 1:40:54 PM2/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com
I looked into it more a week or two back. I don't see any good reason for it. The CSS seems to download and get renamed properly, I wonder if it's a script that has to run while downloading to display the page properly. If so, I doubt I'll be able to really do much, the downloader works with files, it has no way to interpret scripts and I have no intention of doing that. A lot of pages work fine with it, but some sites have some really bizarre stuff going on. In experimenting with one site, the HTML displayed is exactly what they sent. If you view source in a browser, it matches up.

Bryan Sells

Feb 18, 2015, 2:15:15 PM2/18/15
to graz...@googlegroups.com, tra...@tabbal.net
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for looking into it.  I'm no programmer, but I think I understand what you're saying.

The only part that doesn't make sense to me is why this would have coincided with my upgrade from Android 4.3 to 4.4.

Is there anything I can do to help with the trouble-shooting?