[gray-b-gon:3] The Workshop Experience

Ember

May 5, 2010, 3:05:57 PM5/5/10
to Gray-B-Gon

In 2009, eight of these wind-powered graywater-eaters appeared on the
playa. Built from the online construction guide, or in the one-day
workshop, they intrigued people, brought playa neighborhoods together,
and quietly disposed of hundreds of gallons of waste water. You may
have seen one in operation on the lawn at Decompression.

What's a workshop like? It's like a party, but more focused; it's
like a class, but more fun. For some participants, it's their first
experience at actually building something for Burning Man. You will
likely learn some techniques with wood, wire, and other homely
materials that will have you thinking about future projects.

A workshop is limited in size, and fits easily in a driveway or small
backyard. Want to talk about hosting a workshop? Drop me a note.

Some quotes from builders and potential builders:

". . .[the evapotron] was a huge hit with my camp mates as well as a
great conversation piece bringing people into our camp."

". . .Your instructions are clear. Your tips are super helpful. . .
[The workshop] may be the construction 'class' I've longed for to
teach me some basic skills."

". . . I like the way you introduce the materials and offer advice
upfront before the user gets knee-deep into the nuances of the actual
building. And kudos for the innovative reuse of typical 'trash'
items! LOL, now I want to make a bunch of propellers for our local
landscape...just because I can! I love art with movement...and your
propellers are clearly art! And I so appreciate your instructions for
'balancing' the propellers."

It takes about five workshop hours to build evapotrons for all
participants. It's much easier than building one on your own, and
it's a simpler process than what's in the construction guide. If
you've used an electric drill, and screwed a few screws, you have the
skills necessary. By the end of the workshop you will know how to set
up your evapotron, operate it, and take it down for storage. With a
little care, it'll last for years.

I will bring tools and (almost) all the materials, and ask for a $50
materials fee. Purchased in retail quantities and prices, the
materials would cost about $175. Materials you are asked to bring are
panty-hose and discarded bike wheels.

Please contact me (Ember, aka Larry Breed) well in advance if you're
interested: livember at earthlink dot net. Enrollment is limited to
ten evapotrons, but friends and helpers are welcome.

Over the summer I will hold more workshops around the Bay Area.

A pdf of the construction guide is available in this group's files.