Grassy Narrows blockade marks another year.

Grassy Narrows Asubpeeschoseewagong Anishinabek

Dec 11, 2013, 11:50:22 AM12/11/13
to grassy-narrows-support
GRASSY NARROWS BLOCKADE MARKS ANOTHER YEAR

On December 3, 2002 Grassy Narrows youth, women, landusers, and elders
put our bodies on the line to stop the logging trucks from desecrating
our forest.  We had no other choice but to take this action or watch
the forest that we depend on get carried away before our eyes.  Our
blockade is still strong.

Inline image 1

Along the way we have learned, and accomplished so much together. We
kicked Abitibi, the world's largest newsprint producer, off our
homeland and we have stopped the logging for over 5 years.  We have
fought for justice for the mercury poison that is in our bodies.  And
we have built friendships and alliances for land defence, indigenous
sovereignty, and environmental justice.

But our fight continues.  Right now Ontario is about to approve a new
plan for another decade of clearcut logging on our land that would
continue the devastation of our forest and prolong the tragedy of
mercury in our community.  We say 'no' to logging and 'no' to mercury
poison.

Tell Premier Wynne to reject this terrible plan.

Watch the recent APTN story about the logging plan.

"We are trying all angles to protect the forest and our people.  That
includes the blockade, public speaking, protests, the court case,
using the land, youth and women's gatherings, ceremonies, songs,
healing, the sacred fire, a community health survey, wild foods and
sediment studies, and trying to establish an environmental monitoring
station.

We are calling on all people to hear our voices and to stand by us as
we protect the source of life."

Judy Da Silva

"This is 11 years and we are still here, still standing strong. There
have been many challenges through this fight with these big
corporations and governments and even sometimes with ourselves but we
still stand united as a community.

Our opponents want us to fight each other, but instead we are
working through our differences and still being able to stand strong
with each other. We are all different but we all still have a role and
place in this fight for our land and the future of our children."

Shawanong Noodin Ikwe

For more information:  FreeGrassy.net
Grassy youth blockade small.jpg