Correction: Support for managed grazing in the WI state budget

Laura Paine

Apr 18, 2021, 5:01:25 PM4/18/21
to Ask-A-Grazier

Hey again,

Just wanted to correct an error in the post below. Wisconsin Farmers Union is supporting the grazing grant funding. It just isn’t listed in the document referenced below. Sorry for the confusion!
Laura

Here is an opportunity to voice your support for grazing funding in the Wisconsin state budget. The Governor’s proposed budget restores the Grazing Grant program that I once ran at the WI Department of Ag. That program provided funds to support grazing networks, pasture walks, and grazing planning for farmers around the state. The Joint Finance Committee of the Legislature is holding hearings in the next couple of weeks on the state budget. If you think this program is worthwhile, please do consider attending and testifying or sending in comments in support of the program. Here is what the Governor has in his budget that we want the legislature to retain when they do revisions:

Conservation Grant Program. The Governor recommends providing funding of $320,000 annually to support the establishment of a statewide grazing education grant program and assist producers who incorporate regenerative agricultural practices.

Here is information on the hearings: https://legis.wisconsin.gov/topics/budgetcomments. They are April 21st in Rhinelander, April 22nd in Menomonie, and a virtual one in April 28th.

Here is an article Randy Jackson and I wrote that has some context and rationale for supporting the grazing grant program and some other worthwhile ag items in the Governor’s budget. https://www.wispolitics.com/2021/laura-paine-randy-jackson-positioning-agriculture-for-resilience-in-a-post-pandemic-wisconsin/

WFU has some good information on how to give testimony, although they are currently not supporting the grazing grant program: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fvix4ae_24u0g8qjuCxgOA48BQY7VbRgwPMNBweWWno/edit

Thanks everyone!
Laura

Laura Paine

Outreach & Learning Hub Coordinator