Cafeteria-style Minerals Quiestion

Richard J. Hollidday

Jan 11, 2021, 11:59:32 AM1/11/21
to grassworks-a...@googlegroups.com, Rachel Bouressa

Subject: Cafeteria-style Minerals Quiestion

Greetings,

I am submitting this email in response to Drew’s questions about cafeteria style minerals on 4 January.

Formulating livestock mineral programs is a complex and fascinating subject with a multitude of different approaches.
I have written many articles on this subject and rather than do a rewrite here I would refer you to pertinent items that have already been published  on my blog.
If you care for more in-depth information I suggest “Soil Fertility and  Animal Health,” by Dr. Wm A. Albrecht (Acres USA).

Anything you can find by Dr. Fred Provenza is worth reading, especially his book, “Nourishment.”

As a last resort you may want to check out my book, “A Holistic Veterinarians Prescription for a Health Herd.” Available from Acres USA and Amazon.

Starting at the beginning:  Why we feed minerals, and how to do  it right.

Many folks believe you can formulate an adequate mineral mix in a one-bag-fits-all (OBFA) mode.  I don’t think so and here’s what can happen in that situation:  Are OBFA Minerals Suitable for Livestock Feeding?

Starting a complete cafeteria-style program all at once can be a daunting and almost overwhelming endeavor.  Here’s a way to get started and learn as you go while developing your oun best program: A Quick Start Mini Cafeteria Style Mineral Program

I believe animals have innate nutritional wisdom that enables them to satisfy their individual nutritional needs if they have proper choices available.  I know not everyone agrees.  Dr. Provenza would be a good one to research on this topic.
This is my viewpoint: Do Animals Eat Minerals Because They Need Them or Because They Taste Good?

There is research to support both sides of the cafeteria-style mineral program.  Because of the complexity of the problem, valid reaserch is difficult to come by with the reductionist research methods commonly used in this country.
In 1977 SD State University did a much publicized study of cafeteria-style mineral feeding,  In the opening statement the authors stated - “Little evidence was found that dairy cows offered minerals and vitamins free choice consumed to a specific appetite or need under the two nutritional regimes.”    Then, in the body of the report — “… only in the cases of potassium and vitamins did cows fed corn silage consume large amounts free-choice possibly to compensate for a dietary deficiencyYou can’t have it both ways, Guys — eating specific minerals to compensate for a dietary eficiency is the essense of the cafeteria-style concept. There were other similar discrepancies.  Here is my analysis of this flawed report:  Research - Reading Between the Lines

Here are a few more links that may be of interest:

Measuring Mineral Balance:

Minerals Are Team Players.

 Hey, Doc, my cows are eating dirt. Waddya got for that?

I started feeding cafeteria-style minerals to my own livestock  back in the early 1960s. If I still had any animals I would still be using it. I believe over the years, I have learned more about livestock health and nutrition by observing the animals response to cafeteria-style mineral feeding than I ever did in college.

 You can do the same thing.

There is nothing in these article that you cannot  verify for yourself by providing a choice of minerals to your animals and observing their response.

Please do not hesitate to contat me if you have questions.

Richard J. Holliday, DVM (MO ’59)
2040 N 4000 W
Rexburg, Idaho  83440
Mobile:  309 507 2208