Calf Handling Recommendations

Mat Boerson

Feb 24, 2021, 8:49:42 PM2/24/21
to GrassWorks: Ask-a-Grazier
Hello All,

In the past I have opted to not bother new calves to weigh or tag, partly due to time constraints during a busy time of year and partly because I have been hesitant to interrupt cow/calf bonding (especially with first calf cows).  I usually process the calf group at 3 or 4 months, but have noticed the last couple of years that they have a challengingly large flight zone.  I've read about 'imprinting' foals by gently restraining them until they realize that the handler is not going to hurt them and this sticks in their mind.

I'm wondering what other folks are doing to process new calves?  Is the process of weighing enough to gentle them, or do some folks take more steps?  I certainly don't want to make them into pets, but would like future handling to be as low stress as possible.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Mat Boerson

Bouressa, Rachel

Feb 25, 2021, 1:43:35 PM2/25/21
to Mat Boerson, GrassWorks: Ask-a-Grazier
Thanks for the question Mat!

I'm curious what others protocol is as well.

I don't have good handling facilities to handle the calves, so I tag and band when they're days old - still like baby deer hiding in the tall grass and sleeping a lot.  If I miss that window, it's a lot harder for me to get a rope on them to handle them and they are FAST.
I know a lot of people prefer cutting to banding or waiting a little while before banding to ensure success.  I don't have 100% success, though I'm getting better... and it saves me a day of it down the road.

I've never had much luck with my babies imprinting to me, though each year I think it's the year for me to have a halter calf, they decide otherwise.

Happy grazing gang, this year's calves will be coming in no time!
Rachel

Rachel Bouressa
Grazing Planner
Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc.
1100 Main St, Suite 150
Stevens Point, WI 54481
715-343-6215

Golden Sands is a 501(c)3 regional conservation non-profit working to make Central Wisconsin a better place to live and work through cooperative efforts.

Clean water, healthy forests, abundant wildlife and sustainable agriculture. We can help you with that!

Highland Spring Farm

Feb 25, 2021, 2:55:09 PM2/25/21
to Bouressa, Rachel, Mat Boerson, GrassWorks: Ask-a-Grazier
For awhile we eat tagged at birth or as soon as we could but as Rachel said, missing that 24-36 hour window and it was IMPOSSIBLE. They are crazy fast. We do run them through some gates/corral monthly so we try to catch them up at that time if we can to get them tagged. Then I read an article that there’s no reason to ear tag calves so we stopped for a year or two. I decided we didn’t like that because we move cattle around to different farms too much and I was always afraid we’d mix some up. It was also easier to figure out who was missing if they had numbers so now we’re back to tagging as soon as possible and have culled cows that tried to kill me when we do that. If we didn’t have a group of registered animals and/or kept them all on the same farm until weaning, I could see skipping ear tags altogether.

We found it much easier to tame them down at weaning but daily pasture moves and lots of time walking through the herd helps and some eventually get curious.

I find banding and vaccinating easier to do later so we do around weaning time but preferably not at weaning.

Highland Spring Farm - www.HighlandSpringFarm.com
Oregon, WI  53575

Join our mailing list! Or find us on Facebook!

Gene Schriefer

Feb 25, 2021, 3:19:55 PM2/25/21
to highlands...@gmail.com, Rachel Bouressa, Mat Boerson, GrassWorks: Ask-a-Grazier

Similar to Kevin, I tag/vaccinate/castrate in Fall with a vet, and wean later at a pregnancy check.    Daily moves, get’s them pretty calm, moreso if mom is calm around me.   Calves primarily need tags for processing and tracking purposes for USDA HAACAP plan.

Tagging at birth is just one more labor thing I don’t have time to do, unless one were selling registered breeding stock, is it worth the effort?

Gene Schriefer

Laura Paine

Feb 25, 2021, 3:32:34 PM2/25/21
to Gene Schriefer, highlands...@gmail.com, Rachel Bouressa, Ask-A-Grazier, Mat Boerson

Mat Boerson

Mar 1, 2021, 1:21:20 PM3/1/21
to GrassWorks: Ask-a-Grazier
Thanks all for your insights!  I think I will try to get up early during calving season this year to get tags and weights on the calves.  We still have plenty of room for improvement in our breeding stock so being able to more easily track daily gain will hopefully make for more informed decisions.  We'll see if the calves are any easier to get into the catch pen.
Happy (almost) Spring!
Mat