Mapknitter: UI evaluation (#19650)

notifi...@publiclab.org

Jun 10, 2019, 6:10:04 AM6/10/19
to notifi...@publiclab.org

Mapknitter: UI evaluation

Read and respond to the post here: https://publiclab.org/notes/molangmuir10/06-10-2019/mapknitter-ui-evaluation

Homepage and logging in:

  • I love being able to see everyone else’s projects listed below

  • This is a minor issue but when I originally tried to log on, I used my publiclab username ‘molangmuir10’ – because it says ‘username’. This didn’t work and I had to type in my email to login. Could change the ‘username’ to ‘email’ or ‘account email’ or ‘public lab email’
  • Jeff’s tutorial video on the homepage is great. Really helpful to visualise exactly what you’ll be doing image 1

  • More space between the ‘Community Microscope Kits Reserve a kit today’ and ‘Regions’

  • Why is Community Microscope kits listed here?

image 2

  • I like that you can see the number of maps! Especially if this changes in real time.
  • Why is ‘resolutions’ listed twice?

Creating a map:

I found the initial stages very simple; entering the project name, entering the location and long and lat coming up.

  • I like how the map zooms to your location as you enter the text. Straightforward, simple and clear.

Uploading images: - Straightforward - You should be able to delete an image and re-‘place’ the same image without having to re-upload it. There is only an option to download rather than ‘place’ them.

image 3

  • Also it would be great to be able to clear these images once you’ve used them as it can get quite crowded when you’ve uploaded a few.

Placing images to the map:

  • Adjusting photo size: You should definitely be able to change the size of the image after the first placing/tool toggling – I couldn’t work out how to do this. It’s very frustrating if you have got the image size slightly off in the first place.

Toolbar:

  • There should be an undo tool button!
  • It would be great to get the transparency tool to work on a range – going from opaque to increasingly more transparent

Keymappings:

The keymappings window is quite obstructive and I couldn’t work out how to get rid of it image 4

  • Pressing the letters on the keymappings toolbar (jk/o/s/t/dr) did nothing – (I have a macbook). But pressing the other commands on the toolbar (esc/delete/backspace/caps) did work.
  • ‘delete, backspace’: could it say “delete photo/image” just to clarify it’s not the map you’re deleting

2nd image upload:

‘Keymappings’: - 2nd time I logged in to use mapknitter, the ‘keymappings’ didn’t come up initially. image 5

  • And then it came up twice image 6

  • It would be good if there was a button for ‘keymappings’ – you click and it brings up the window. Then you can close again when its obstructing the map view.

Altering the image size and scale: The second image I uploaded I couldn’t change the size of the image at all – it came up with the blue squares in the corner rather than the black ‘x’s. Then I couldn’t find a way to change the size. I closed the app and reopened. I re-uploaded the image and the same thing happened – I can’t figure out how to alter the size! Initially it was black ‘x’s and I dragged them bigger or smaller after first placing the image. How do I get back to that? image 7

General comments: I really like being able to switch to the street map view! image description

Just a small thing though – ‘OpenStreetMap’ has no spacing and ‘Google Satellite’ does – would be nice if they both had the same spacing.

Once you have made a map it would be great for it to have a link directly from your profile homepage. e.g. After logging in to mapknitter, a ‘My maps’ button links you to the maps you’ve made.

Recent toolbar tool updates by @sashadev-sky: https://github.com/publiclab/Leaflet.DistortableImage/pull/255#issuecomment-498781215

• GREAT that the keymappings order has been re-arranged to match toolbar order • ‘toggle image transparency’ and ‘toggle image outline’ – makes sense to have these tools next to eachother • Delete on the end in red is much better – makes more sense to have delete on the end • “Fixed _toggleOutline method: fixed bug where we were also toggling image opacity here not just the outline opacity” I was going to comment on this bug in my evaluation above – great that it’s already been done!

Overall the toolbar changes are much improved! - I did think it would be useful to have an undo button on this toolbar

The things I’ve suggested may already exist – but if they do then they aren’t obvious/simple for a new mapknitter user like me!

Have you tried using mapknitter? I’d love to know your experiences in the comments below!

Respond to the post here: https://publiclab.org/notes/molangmuir10/06-10-2019/mapknitter-ui-evaluation

This post was tagged with #balloon-mapping by molangmuir10

You received this email because it was tagged with: balloon-mapping.

Subscribe to all the tags for this post by visiting https://publiclab.org/subscribe/multiple/tag/.

Report spam and abuse to: moder...@publiclab.org

Check out the blog at https://publiclab.org/blog | Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today at https://publiclab.org/donate If this email title has an ID in the format #0000, you can reply with the email you use at PublicLab.org and your response will be posted as a comment on the website.