GREAT INDIA GENE BAZAR

GRASSROOTS India

Nov 27, 2012, 2:44:58 AM11/27/12
to GRASSROOTS in action, Arun Shrivastava, ARUNDHATI ROY

GREAT INDIA GENE BAZAR

“We have documented about 40 landraces in Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh, India and were thinking to link those landraces with NBPGR under PVFRA for getting farmers’ rights over the genetic resources. Although the brokerage and biopiracy were undergoing in several Indian agriculture universities where gene/seed banks do exist, but I was not sure it could happen from national level gene bank i.e. NBPGR. This is really shocking to us. It means these cheater scientists can go to any extent. Oh!!!!”

-         Dr. Hasrat Arjjumend, Director, Grassroots Institute, Kullu (India)

“At a time when everything is up for sale, how could the government and the scientists resist not selling its 370000 plant collections? They are getting ready with the great sale. I don't know whether it will offer discounts to seed MNCs. But it will certainly put up a unique Gene Bazaar where the nation's precious biodiversity resources will be sold.”

-         Dr. Devinder Sharma, Food Security Activist, New Delhi (India)

ICAR prepares to open India's plant gene bank to private companies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2238319/ICAR-prepares-open-Indias-plant-gene-bank-private-companies.html#ixzz2DM9QPtk0