Re: [Grass-Fed-Eggs] Digest for grass-fed-eggs@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

jim adams

May 25, 2012, 8:45:39 PM5/25/12
to grass-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Agnes .. what we do is put 2 to 4 inches of hay-as-it-comes-off-the-bale on the cardboard.  Complete cover, no spaces, etc.  Then we water it with a sprinkler.  The hay and cardboard hold the moisture in and the light out.

It's just adding a lot of organic matter to the soil in specific ways which enhances the decomposer ecosystem And then, by the 2nd or 3rd year, there is a worm population in the garden, converting compost, cardboard and hay into organic soil in which any self-respecting vegetable would wiggle its roots in delight.

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM, <grass-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/grass-fed-eggs/topics

    "Agnes Gibson" <agnes...@hughes.net> May 24 11:50AM -0600

    Great idea. How do you keep the cardboard from blowing off? Seems like
    that small amount of hay wouldn't be enough to keep it down until it "melts"
    into the ground.

    For weed control, we have used old carpet cut into strips the width of the
    space between rows. And it too helps hold moisture in the ground. But then
    we roll the carpet after each garden season.

    Agnes

    _____

May 26, 2012, 1:12:55 AM5/26/12
to grass-f...@googlegroups.com
Jim, we are getting ready to do this hopefully next week!  So just to double-check - you cut a line in the cardboard and then poke the seeds down, then they will know where the opening is (by following the sun)?  I'm just worried they will grow the wrong way and smother like the weeds.  Also, how do you do zucchini and other veg that need mounds?  Just soften the cardboard first?  My husband also read that you can use plain cardboard boxes (fill with soil) as planters, so I think my herbs will go in a couple of those.
Thanks!
Kelly