Re: [Grass-Fed-Eggs] Digest for grass-fed-eggs@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 2 Topics

jim adams

May 17, 2012, 5:51:21 AM5/17/12
to grass-f...@googlegroups.com
Hey Laura .. when mine had mites, their feathers started looking snarled and ratty in places where the rooster did NOT mount them.  They scratch themselves a lot. They look scruffy

You can set up a dust bath for them and add Diatomaceous Earth.  You can add pyrethrum (the natural version) or permethrin (the synthetic version) to put in the dust bath too.

Or --- since chickens are blind to red light --you can come out in the dark with a red light, and take a handful of either or both powders and pull back the feathers, scattering the DE and whatever else among their feathers.  They just stand on the roost and say a mild "bawk" or three.  You can treat all your chickens in less than 15 minutes -- once you get proficient at it.

I also got a UV flashlight which is supposed to show dander, pest feces, etc, but i haven't yet had a chance to use it.

And that's what i do.  Large flocks  should have DE in their dustbaths. Individually treating them more than once can get to be a big hassle, but when flocks are the size of yours and mine, the individual treatment is -- well, kinda fun.

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM, <grass-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/grass-fed-eggs/topics

    jim adams <thetravel...@gmail.com> May 16 03:02AM -0400

    hmmmm .. how did this spam get thru? asks jim

    Laura Hollister <slhol...@netzero.net> May 16 02:02AM -0400

    I think it's finally happened.

    I took in a homeless rooster about two
    weeks ago. May or may not be connected. About a week ago I had a hen
    start acting lethargic, and her comb's off-color. One of my boys
    noticed matted yuck on the feathers near her vent. Egg production is
    down a bit the last week- I usually get about 12-13 eggs a day, and
    we're running 7-10 now. I'm wondering if this is my first experience
    with mites, how I can tell for sure, and if so what this group
    suggests I do. I read a ton of
    hits on google, but they seem contradictory or scary. I'd rather hear
    it from you guys. (c:

    Laura

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group grass-fed-eggs.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

--
To post to Grass-Fed-Eggs, send email to grass-f...@googlegroups.com
Visit this discussion group at