Model-based Exploratory Test Automation Success Story - Using Robot Framework and GraphWalker

Joshua Gorospe

Dec 7, 2017, 6:08:42 PM12/7/17
to GraphWalker

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a possibly interesting success story that I have published in Medium. I am using GraphWalker, Robot Framework and Docker for model-based exploratory testing. Here is the URL...

https://ixn.intersection.com/continuous-learning-to-guide-testing-decisions-a69ee295c1fd

Kristian Karl

Dec 8, 2017, 3:57:59 AM12/8/17
to GraphWalker
Hey Joshua!

What a great story you shared. Thank you.
This is pretty innovative stuff you created at Intersection, I love it!

Best Kristian

One note, GraphWalker is not a tool made by Spotify. It's a GPL'ed open source tool, though people at Spotify contributed to it over the years :-)

joshua....@intersection.com

Dec 8, 2017, 6:14:10 AM12/8/17
to GraphWalker
Thank you Kristian. This tool has been a big part of my toolbox for a while. I hope I did an ok job sharing some of my personal experience with it to the world. :)

Also thank you for the correction. I took that part out.

Kristian Karl

Dec 8, 2017, 7:06:39 AM12/8/17
to GraphWalker
It was a great blog article I must say.
I shared internally here at Spotify. I believe someone here made a comment on your article. Have you seen it?

Joshua Gorospe

Dec 8, 2017, 7:36:18 AM12/8/17
to graph...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's great! I will let my team know, they will be very excited to hear that. I hope your office doesn't find it too boring of a read, lol. :)

I did see Magnus Holmqvist's response. Those are excellent questions and coincidentally I was asked some similar questions by Pekka Klärck (creator of Robot Framework). I did not really feel comfortable providing Magnus a response on Intersection's Medium publication. I doubt that the senior managers of my job read these types of Google groups, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

What I think I can safely say to both of those questions from Magnus (without getting myself in too much trouble) is that we are creating tools for very high profile clients and we also have a machine learning & data science team on our staff. I talk to them and bounce ideas off of them very often, and they have been great mentors to me. Maybe some day (after manager approval) I can share what I learned and plan to implement soon for Intersection's clients.

Nils Olsson

Dec 9, 2017, 9:53:19 AM12/9/17
to GraphWalker
Awesome!

lion...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 9:01:16 AM2/14/18
to GraphWalker
This URL is not reachable, anyone knows where the new URL would be?

Joshua Gorospe

Feb 14, 2018, 9:05:49 AM2/14/18
to GraphWalker
I checked the URL, it's working on my end. I am able to get to it on my phone.
Message has been deleted

lion...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 9:17:43 AM2/14/18
to GraphWalker
seems like it is blocked from my country

"unable to connect medium.com", i will try vpn later.

Jessie TANG

Feb 14, 2018, 10:04:20 AM2/14/18
to GraphWalker
I can view it now via tunneling :) it is a great post. Thanks!

Jessie

joshua....@intersection.com

Jan 14, 2019, 9:20:30 AM1/14/19
to GraphWalker
Hi everyone,

Just posting a follow-up to this forum post. I am currently in Finland attending https://robocon.io/#workshops as a workshop organizer. The workshop I am running is called "Robot Framework strategies for the lone tester", and I will be presenting 4 Graphwalker + Robot Framework demonstrations that are a variation of the article I posted on Medium in 2017.

The code is kept here...
https://github.com/jg8481/Robot-Framework-Lone-Tester-Strategies-RoboCon-2019

The gist of the 4 demonstrations are...
[1] Do a long run of Graphwlker + Robot Framework while using a slow internet proxy (https://github.com/bcoe/crapify) in a Docker container
[2] Do a re-run using the same Graphwalker path generated in [1]
[3] Do a short run of Graphwlker + Robot Framework with more vertexes than edges, and running without the slow internet proxy in a Docker container
[4] Do a re-run using the same Graphwalker path generated in [3]

These Graphwlker + Robot Framework examples also have bonus content such as... random test data generators, using Radamsa for creating malformed test data, and Slack notifications for edge or vertex failures.

At the workshop I will also be demonstrating how to turn the Graphwalker + Robot Framework results logs into a dashboard that is deployed to Heroku.

Here are the other dashboards (not related to Graphwalker) I will be covering in the workshop...

https://robocon2019-sbtm-dashboard.herokuapp.com/

Kristian Karl

Jan 15, 2019, 8:58:35 AM1/15/19
to GraphWalker
Thank you for sharing!
:-)

/Kristian

joshua....@intersection.com

Jan 15, 2019, 1:37:58 PM1/15/19
to GraphWalker
Any time :-D

vgar...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2019, 5:12:54 AM2/15/19
to GraphWalker
Thaks for sharing.

Joshua Gorospe

Mar 11, 2021, 4:20:27 PM3/11/21
to GraphWalker
Hello GraphWalker community,

I wanted to add a continuation of this success story of Robot Framework and GraphWalker. I created more experiments based on my 2019 workshop and I have come up with a new upcoming RoboCon 2021 online workshop. On March 15th I will be presenting live examples and code for combining Robot Framework, Appium, GraphWalker, and also Charles Proxy. Tickets are still on sale, and they are deeply discounted by roughly 75% (using coupon tickets are only 62 EUR). I hope some of you will join in, GraphWalker has been a huge help in my QA career. I just want to give back to the Open Source community. ^_^

Kristian Karl

Mar 19, 2021, 4:55:08 AM3/19/21
to GraphWalker
Thanks for sharing Joshua!

Joshua Gorospe

Apr 3, 2021, 6:44:00 PM4/3/21
to GraphWalker
Any time Kristian!

If anyone out there is interested, here is the code for the workshop. I also included the slides.

https://github.com/jg8481/Getting-Started-Robotframework-AppiumLibrary-RoboCon-2021

Also here is a YouTube video walk-through demonstrating all of the examples. I demonstrate the parallel running GraphWalker + Android CPU monitoring example on 44:48 in the video.

On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 4:55:08 AM UTC-4 kristian.h...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for sharing Joshua!