Facebook

1 view

Jon Tyson

Dec 20, 2007, 7:47:18 PM12/20/07
to GraphSync
Going to dive into providing an export application for facebook!

David Baker

Dec 20, 2007, 8:27:24 PM12/20/07
to grap...@googlegroups.com
Good stuff,
I jumped on last night and tried out their demo code, trying to get
info on a users friends.
Seems you can get most things except for email address.

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Users.getInfo

This exports a list of your friends first names / last names:
http://examples.dtbaker.com.au/code/fb_data/

Code available from here:
http://examples.dtbaker.com.au/view/facebook_export

Dave

--
David Baker
http://dtbaker.com.au/

Alexandre Passant

Dec 21, 2007, 4:06:32 AM12/21/07
to grap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You may be interested in this Facebook to FOAF exporter:

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mrowe/foafgenerator.html

Best,

Alex.

David Baker

Dec 21, 2007, 11:31:12 PM12/21/07
to grap...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 21, 2007 7:06 PM, Alexandre Passant <al...@passant.org> wrote:
You may be interested in this Facebook to FOAF exporter:

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mrowe/foafgenerator.html

hmm.. http://ext.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~u0057/FoafGenerator/files/

Looks pretty cool. FOAF seems to capture interests, personal details, and friend relationships all in the same file yes?
Would it be better to use XFN or FOAF to represent friends?
Is FOAF designed just for social networks? Or can it be used for other things (eg: represent a buddy list from Gaim/Pidgin)?

Cheers,
Dave

Alexandre Passant

Dec 22, 2007, 6:07:21 AM12/22/07
to grap...@googlegroups.com
On 12/22/07, David Baker <dtb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007 7:06 PM, Alexandre Passant <al...@passant.org> wrote:
> > You may be interested in this Facebook to FOAF exporter:
> >
> > http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mrowe/foafgenerator.html
>
> hmm.. http://ext.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~u0057/FoafGenerator/files/
>
> Looks pretty cool. FOAF seems to capture interests, personal details, and
> friend relationships all in the same file yes?
Indeed, but not necessary in the same files.
Using the principles of the Semantic Web, you can define it in various
files. Eg, you can have one file for your Facebook network and
interests, another one for twitter ... and then you have to say that
somes ressources are the same between files, by linking URIs with
owl:sameAs [1] (can also be computed with mbox_sha1). Thus you can
represent your networks /interests in various files, and then link
them together to finally answer queries "Who are my friends from
twitter and facebook that are not my friends on myspace but like
punk-rock".

> Would it be better to use XFN or FOAF to represent friends?

I don't know a lot about XFN, but I think that FOAF has more
expressive power since it can be extended and mapped to other
vocabularies, interconnecting all data with RDF / SW principles.
But I think that XFN can be translated to FOAF.

> Is FOAF designed just for social networks? Or can it be used for other
> things (eg: represent a buddy list from Gaim/Pidgin)?

FOAF is a way to describe people (and more generally agents) and
relationships between them. So you can have a foaf/gaim file where you
store your gaim buddylist. If you want to describe your accounts (and
what you wrote ...) you can have a look at SIOC [2] - it also has
mappings with FOAF.

Hope that helps,

Alex.

[1] http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#links