Re: Understanding the error with --minval argument when using svdpp with my own data set.

Danny Bickson

Nov 22, 2013, 1:53:16 AM11/22/13
to Richard Latimer, GraphLab Users, graph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,
I have pushed a fix to your problem. That was an interesting one.. :-)

You had a file called .DS_Store inside the input folder mydata. The junk data inside this file confused our parser which failed, but the error message
was not clear. Now I have fixed parsing and made the error message clearer:

INFO:     distributed_graph.hpp(load_from_posixfs:2189): Loading graph from file: mydata/.DS_Store
WARNING:  svdpp.cpp(graph_loader:598): Failed to read input line: Bud%
                                                                    @� @ @ @
                                                                            E%DSDB` @ @ @ in file: mydata/.DS_Store (or node id is -1).

Please pull from github and let us know if this works for you.

Thanks for helping us improve GraphLab!

Danny Bickson
Co-Founder
GraphLab Inc.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Richard Latimer <rpla...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had checked my data entries and I didn't read a 0, but I'll definitely appreciate the help. I'm sending you an email to the account on your cmu personal page.

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:59:09 PM UTC-6, Danny Bickson wrote:
Hi Richard,
It seems that something in your input confuses our parser to parse the values wrong. The observation is read as 0,
and since the minimum allowed value is 1 this error is generated. Can you verify there are no zero observations in your input?

If you like to send me a personal email with a sample data file which causes this error I will be happy to take a look at it.

Danny Bickson
Co-Founder
GraphLab Inc.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Richard Latimer <rpla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't understand this error, mainly how to get rid of it:

Rating values should be between 1 and 5. Got value: 0 [ user: 18446744073709551615 to item: 18446744073709551615 ]

The error appears when I set --minval to 1, it works when --minval=0, for the following command line input:

./svdpp mydata  --ncpus=1 --predictions=out_file --max_iter=3  --gamma=1e-3 --lambda=5e-4 --step_dec=0.9999 --minval=1 --maxval=5

There aren't any values set to 0 in the rating column for training or validation. I had assumed that by setting minval and maxvalue, my prediction rating would be bounded between 1 and 5?

My mydata.train data starts off like this:

1 1 5
3 1 4
13 1 4
17 1 5
34 1 5
37 1 3

My mydata.validate starts off like this:
5 1 5
9 1 4
12 1 3
16 1 4
19 1 3
29 1 4

My mydata.predict starts off like this:
2 1
4 1
6 1
7 1
8 1
10 1
11 1

Any suggestions how to interpret the error above?