Linux for Indic!

Shriramana Sharma

Jan 14, 2017, 9:47:48 PM1/14/17
to granth...@googlegroups.com
On 1/14/17, Jaganath Bharadwaj <rangasat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From the non-programmers perspective in this group, each successive
> generation of Windows OS seems to be giving less and less importance to
> indic scripts. With XP, we could use indolipi, bhasha and a host of other
> scripts. None of these work on Windows 10, unless I use an online editor.

Sorry that this is not a direct reply to your query but for
flexibility with Indic I would sincerely recommend using Linux, since
its powerful XKB input method allows me to program my own keyboard
with up to four (or even eight, but I haven't tried that) characters
per key.

Please find attached my active Devanagari layout. You can see it
allows me (who have special requirements for Vedic and other rare
characters) to input whatever I want from whichever key I want.

I personally use Kubuntu Linux but there is a whole variety to choose
from. If you're new, better go with one of the better known distros
like *buntu or Fedora which actually sponsored the Lohit Indic fonts
project (https://fedorahosted.org/lohit/).

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा
shriramana-keyboard-deva.png