Grantha Unicode in Unicode 7 Beta

Vinodh Rajan

Feb 21, 2014, 5:03:05 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Unicode 7.0 is expected around July 2014. The latest version of Unicode will also include the Grantha script.

I have attached the Grantha code chart from the beta release.

With Regards,

Vinodh Rajan
Grantha_U7_Beta.pdf

Marco Franceschini

Feb 21, 2014, 5:06:50 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Many thanks to Vinodh and to all the people who worked hard for this result!

Marco
---

<Grantha_U7_Beta.pdf>

Vijay Vanbakkam

Feb 21, 2014, 5:48:06 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Thanks from me also for Vinodh and others who worked towards it.

Vijay

From: marco.fra...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Grantha Unicode in Unicode 7 Beta
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:06:50 +0100
To: granth...@googlegroups.com

T.Raguveeradayal

Feb 21, 2014, 6:26:25 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vinodh,
Thanks.
Does this mean that after the release, one need not type grantha lipi with the present Egrantamil+ Bengali encoding?

adiyen,
dasan,
T. Raguveeradayal
C/O SRIRANGAM SRIMAD
ANDAVAN ASHRAMAM,
THIRUPPULLANI 623532
04567-254242//919443301091
http://thiruppul.blogspot.com
http://thiruthiru.wordpress.com

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Marco Franceschini <marco.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (marco.fra...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

Great news! Many thanks to Vinodh and to all the people who worked hard for this result!

Marco
---

Il giorno 21/feb/2014, alle ore 11:03, Vinodh Rajan <vinodh...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

<Grantha_U7_Beta.pdf>

Ramakrishnan

Feb 21, 2014, 7:11:20 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com

No it means the unicode standard is available, not that unicode fonts will become available on that day.

Based on the unicode standard, people can proceed to create unicode fonts, and changing the individual unicode font will not make your texts look like garbage.

The glyphs can probably be reused from egrantamil to create a quick unicode font with standard mapping (subject to intellectual property considerations of course, I don't know who owns egrantamil)

​Ram​

Vinodh Rajan

Feb 21, 2014, 9:16:12 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com

No it means the unicode standard is available, not that unicode fonts will become available on that day.

Based on the unicode standard, people can proceed to create unicode fonts, and changing the individual unicode font will not make your texts look like garbage.

Just adding to the above:

Windows support will also not be immediate. It may take some more time to use Grantha in MS products. The Uniscribe rendering engine will not support Grantha until Microsoft decides so. So don't expect right away to compose Grantha unicode documents in MS Word.

So, even if we have a proper Grantha font in Grantha Unicode, the font will work properly only with Opensource packages (Firefox, Libreoffice and stuff using OT/Graphite), and also in Mac (using AAT).

But sadly that's the case with all minority scripts. They just don't have wide support. Adding to this, the codepoints are in SMP. (Well.. By the the time the proposal was made, BMP was full :-( ). I know there are still some packages which can't handle SMP characters. I think it was some forum package which just couldn't save SMP characters into its DB and crashed.

So I'll stop being all gloomy :P... It's a very important step. (all credits should go to Shiramana for creating the proposal. He had to go through several hurdles to make this happen). We have partial support as of now.. But I suppose in a few years time, the support should be quite universal.

Cheers,

Mohanarangan V Srirangam

Feb 21, 2014, 9:13:29 AM2/21/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com
A stride ahead for Vinod ! Great news. Best wishes Vinod and team !

O தோழன்:-}

Feb 27, 2014, 3:36:52 AM2/27/14
to granth...@googlegroups.com

Best wishes Vinod dreams come true

Keep it up

Regards
Kalyan ji

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM, T.Raguveeradayal <raja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Vinodh,
Thanks.
Does this mean that after the release, one need not type grantha lipi with the present Egrantamil+ Bengali encoding?

adiyen,
dasan,
T. Raguveeradayal
C/O SRIRANGAM SRIMAD