Very new to Granicus

Jerry Churchill

Apr 13, 2012, 10:34:34 AM4/13/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
The Montana Legislature just contracted with Granicus and I am trying to figure out how and when I will use the API. I have their Help document, downloaded and installed the .msi, have the API Pdf. I do not see the sample applications that came with the msi, not sure where they installed. We are a Java shop with a Jboss server for Java apps and an Oracle App server for our Oracle based bill status system. I believe one use of the API will be to query the encoders to see current live broadcasts for our live page, we will have the section view also but want a page showing what's live or scheduled today.
Also we hope to use the API to copy and rename the audio and video files to a networked archive location, including some metadata.
So, if anyone is bored and wants to help me get started, I'm ready. Of course the encoders have not even shipped yet, just want to be ready.

Javier Muniz

Apr 13, 2012, 1:24:36 PM4/13/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jerry,

I'd be more than happy to help, especially if you want to build a Java wrapper for the API. I think a lot of people would get some benefit from that.

On the .NET side, the sample applications should have installed into your C:\Program Files\Granicus\... folder (you should see an API folder there, name of it depends on the api version). On 64bit machines, it may be in Program Files x86.

If you don't find them there, let me know and I will investigate what is going on with the MSI, could be a build issue.

-javier

May 9, 2012, 11:58:50 AM5/9/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,
    I have learned we have a site now and have a WSDL for hopefully Eclipse/Java use. Can I use the WSDL in Java or do we have to use the .dll?
Jerry

Javier Muniz

May 9, 2012, 12:04:23 PM5/9/12
to <granicus-developers@googlegroups.com>, granicus-...@googlegroups.com, Benjamin Lucchesi
Definitely use the wsdl. I'm not at my desk right now but when I get there I'll send a list of SOAP libraries that you can use. I've also Cc'd Ben Lucchesi who might have some recommendations.

UtahLeg -Sara

May 14, 2012, 12:14:59 PM5/14/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com, Benjamin Lucchesi
Can we get the Soap libraries and recommendations at the Utah Legislature as well?  We are primarily a Java group here too and while we were able to create a .NET listener that would interact with the Granicus.  It would be nice to have all of our programming in one place.

Lucas Richardson

May 14, 2012, 12:57:30 PM5/14/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to what type of .NET listener you setup.  I would like to be able to "listen" for events such as when the clerk timestamps a agenda item on a different computer.

UtahLeg -Sara

May 14, 2012, 1:03:24 PM5/14/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...It sounds like you might be looking for a Granicus listener.  We are not listening to Granicus.  We are listening to our Java program that Starts and Stops a recording.  The listener then transfers to the start/stop message to Granicus. Are you still interested in our listener?  It is basically just a .NET program that we leave running in the background that the Java program sends messages to.  The program also occasionally queries the encoder status and sends back the status to the Java program.

Sara

Javier Muniz

May 14, 2012, 1:04:42 PM5/14/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucas,

Unfortunately there isn't any way to do that right now. The best way to do that is to use the encoder object (you can get an encoder object by calling GetOutcastEncoder(CameraID) for the camera/encoder ID that the meeting is running on.

From there, you can poll the encoder status object and watch for changes in the status as it relates to the current agenda item.

We are working on a better way to "listen" to events in the system, but it's still in very early development right now and doesn't have an estimated release date.

-javier

May 14, 2012, 1:52:44 PM5/14/12
to granicus-...@googlegroups.com
Our code is not actually implemented yet.  We started with Granicus at the beginning of our Legislative Session in January.  Now session is over we are beginning to play with the API.  Most of our 'code' so far is just random projects where I was seeing what I could and couldn't do.  It isn't very organized and does not take anything from start to finish.  Our listener program is our first program that is written for live use and it has not been rolled out yet.  However, I will talk to my fellow programmers (The program was a mix of my code and others) and see what I can get to you.

Sara