Grand Vision Growth & Investment Network Updates

Nigel Griswold

Mar 29, 2011, 9:53:11 AM3/29/11
to Nigel Griswold

Dear Grand Vision Growth & Investment Network Stakeholders,

Below you will find several updates on information that is relevant to the forward movement of our network mission. Specifically, there is event information, further information for discussion of forward moving strategies in our cities and villages, some follow-up information from the 2011 Northern Michigan Placemaking Summit and a great grant opportunity for our rural villages.

·         2011 Michigan Land & Prosperity Summit – April 8th, 2011 @ the Kellogg Center in East Lansing, MI

o   For more Information and to Register Online: http://www.milandandprosperitysummit.org/index.html

·         Wexford County Community Service Expo – Tuesday, April 12th @ the Cadillac High School in Cadillac, MI

o   Hosted by the Cadillac Area Chamber of Commerce

·         Information on the “Power of 10,” Placemaking Strategies:

o   http://www.pps.org/articles/the-power-of-10/

·         Information on “lighter, quicker, cheaper,” Placemaking Strategies:

o   http://www.pps.org/articles/lighter-quicker-cheaper-a-low-cost-high-impact-approach/

·         2011 Northern Michigan Placemaking Summit Highlights: Video Interviews w/ Speakers, Presentations, News, Coverage, etc.

o   http://www.nwm.org/placemaking.asp

·         USDA Rural Development Broadband Grant:

o   This program provides support for broadband transmission service initiatives in currently unserved rural communities with populations of 20,000 or less. Priority will be given to activities in rural areas having the greatest need for broadband transmission services that are delivered on a community-oriented connectivity basis and that foster economic growth and facilitate enhanced educational, health care, and public safety services.

o   http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/utp_commconnect.html

I hope some of this information is helpful to each of you.

I’m looking forward to our next Growth & Investment Network meeting on April 11th in the TC Chamber Steelcase room from 10am-Noon. Agenda and resource materials specific to that meeting will be available via email this Friday, April 1st.

Best,

Nigel

Nigel G. Griswold
Regional Planner
Northwest Michigan Council of Governments

PO Box 506

Traverse City MI 49685-0506

nigelg...@nwm.cog.mi.us

P: 231.929.5056

F: 231.929.5012

nwm.org / twitter / Facebook / Linked in / YouTube

cid:image019.jpg@01CB9202.C3E5D380

image001.jpg