Fwd: Congressional Progressive caucus addresses climate change

Robert Marshall

Dec 18, 2015, 2:43:11 PM12/18/15
to Doug McInnis, Mary Tonneberger, Peter Wolcott, jo walker, Jim MacInnes, Ann McInnis, Grand Vision-Energy, Susan Wheadon, Stephanie Mills, Skip Pruss, Mary Skrocki, Sarah Litch, Jane Packard, Russ Packard, Marcia Curran
Hi all,
Here is another article sent by Marcia Curran which spells out what might be a workable plan for the next decades in the Progressive Caucus re energy mix's:
Thanks,Marcia,
Bob M.

Begin forwarded message:

From: marcia curran <curran...@hotmail.com>
Date: December 17, 2015 at 3:06:43 PM EST
Subject: Congressional Progressive caucus addresses climate change

This is the kind of plan and goal that the US should be aiming for.  We can do it if we decide to!
For some reason we do not even get to see a report on this in our regular media (TV and newspapers). Maybe Bernie will talk about it, but I doubt you will hear about it from other political sources.

From The Nation magazine:

Last Monday, the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) introduced an ambitious climate-change resolution calling for goals of near-zero emissions by 2050, 50 percent renewable electricity by 2030, and 100 percent clean and renewable energy by 2050. The resolution covers everything from emission goals to job programs for American workers. It also seeks to unify activists, organizations, the scientific community, and elected officials around our common survival.

Setting these priorities will help us avoid the most catastrophic impacts of climate change, and reshape our economy by creating millions of jobs. For example, shifting from landfills to recycling or composting will create 10 times more jobs than landfilling, while also reducing emissions. New renewable energy industries can provide opportunities for Americans who are unemployed or underemployed communities to work and receive the fair wages that have long eluded them. These solutions will deliver us the clean- energy revolution that our country desperately needs.

Climate change is the most pressing global issue of our time, and we must leave a world worth inheriting. This is a unique opportunity for us to build a cleaner, more just, and more peaceful world. The CPC’s climate resolution provides each member of Congress an opportunity to support these essential policies. The global movement to address climate change is building, and it will proceed without us if members of Congress do not have the vision to lead on this issue.

We have a historic opportunity for a better future. Let’s get to work.

Robert Marshall
nm...@charter.net
Festina Lente

"We need to move
from our human-centered
to an earth-centered
norm of reality and value."  Thomas Berry