Introduction

rmontgomery429

Nov 14, 2010, 7:17:53 PM11/14/10
to Grand Rapids NodeJS User Group
Hello. My name is Ryan Montgomery. I am a web developer living and
working in Grand Rapids, MI. I enjoy learning new technologies, and
nodejs is one of them. Personally I think it's the next big thing. I
guess we'll see. Recently I've noticed more friends and co-workers are
showing interest in nodejs. So one night (about 10 minutes ago) one of
those friends, Carl Furrow, and myself made the 10 second decision to
start a user group. So here it is. :)

Join the group and stay posted. There will more than likely be a
meetup in the near future and you won't want to miss it.

cfurrow

Nov 14, 2010, 7:43:31 PM11/14/10
to Grand Rapids NodeJS User Group
I'll follow your lead: I'm Carl Furrow, and I too am a web dev in
Grand Rapids, but I work for a company out in San Francisco. Creative
ideas excite me, and NodeJS is one of the more recent ones that I've
latched onto. I spend most of my work day inside of a complex js
framework, so NodeJS is appealing to my "I love javascript" side.

As I learn, I love to share, so this group, and a UG, would be
perfect, so here we are. I've thrown up a few blag posts here:
http://carlfurrow.com/tag/nodejs/ and plan on putting more up there in
the future as I figure out more.

Hope to see you at future meetups.

manlycode

Nov 16, 2010, 8:32:37 AM11/16/10
to Grand Rapids NodeJS User Group
I'm Chris Rittersdorf, a developer in Grand Rapids. I like to work
with
awesome tools and Node seems to have this potential.

As a Ruby on Rails developer, I gained a passion for JavaScript
through my overall hubris and lack of knowledge toward the
language. During my re-education in JavaScript, I embraced
the simplicity, beauty, and power of the language.

So then last spring at the Great Lakes Ruby Bash, everybody
was all atwitter about the new hotness called NodeJS.

"Oh another new technology, here we go." I thought.
"Event driven programming, that's a lot different than what I usually
do and that's bad." I thought.

But throughout the past several months, NodeJS is the emerging
technology
that I keep coming to in order to have fun (unlike Clojure).

I like to share my ideas (although It's something I haven't done much
in the past) and hope
to contribute value to the group. I maintain a blog (I.E. have set up
a blogging engine and
made one post) at http://manlyco.de.

Looking forward the the inaugural meetup!