Linux Inkernel Driver Not Working

Drasko DRASKOVIC

Jul 4, 2022, 6:09:52 PM7/4/22
to us...@gramineproject.io
Hello,
I am running 5.18 kernel on Debian Testing machine.

In-kernel driver is compiled:
drasko@Mando:~$ cat /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep -i sgx
CONFIG_X86_SGX=y
# CONFIG_X86_SGX_KVM is not set
drasko@Mando:~$

However, SGX /dev nodes are not existing:
drasko@Mando:~$ ls /dev/sgx*
ls: cannot access '/dev/sgx*': No such file or directory

Do you have any idea what is wrong and what needs to be activated? How
to verify that this in-kernel driver is working?

BR,
Drasko

Michał Kowalczyk

Jul 4, 2022, 7:35:08 PM7/4/22
to Drasko DRASKOVIC, us...@gramineproject.io
Hi,

Could you post here the output from `is-sgx-available`? (it's a small
tool included in Gramine)

Best,
Michał

Drasko DRASKOVIC

Jul 4, 2022, 7:52:34 PM7/4/22
to Michał Kowalczyk, us...@gramineproject.io
Hi Michal,
where can I find this tool? I do not see it in the repo (how to build it?).

BTW, I think my problem comes from a lack of SGX_LC, as I just
concluded here:
https://github.com/intel/linux-sgx/issues/837#issuecomment-1174450719

BR,
Drasko

Dmitrii Kuvaiskii

Jul 5, 2022, 2:47:09 AM7/5/22
to Drasko DRASKOVIC, us...@gramineproject.io
Dear Drasko,

Yes, the problem stems from the fact that your machine does not
support SGX_LC (aka Flexible Launch Control, or FLC for short).

The Linux in-kernel SGX driver refuses to run on such machines.
Unfortunately, in a silent way (just exits without printing any
errors).

The `is-sgx-available` tool is installed together with Gramine, see
https://gramine.readthedocs.io/en/stable/quickstart.html for
installation instructions. But anyway, you already figured out the
problem.

You can try to use the "legacy non-maintained" out-of-tree SGX driver
from here: https://github.com/intel/linux-sgx-driver. This driver
works even on machines with SGX_LC.
> --

Yours sincerely,