How much does it cost to get good grails developers?

Tomas Lin

Feb 21, 2011, 10:17:53 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com
So I've recently had to interview a bunch of developers, and have been
given a very wide range of costs and prices ranging from $15/hour to
£500 per day.

I'm guessing this varies in different areas of the world. Given the
relative scarcity of Grails developers in the world, what would you
consider to be a fair price for hiring a developer hourly?

Stephane Maldini

Feb 21, 2011, 10:42:51 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com, Tomas Lin
Depending on the xp. Usually here we practice 550€ HT a day for 3,5 months min contract to -1100€ HT a day for short contracts , we employ 3-4 years experienced groovy grails people and . VMware is doing higher rates :) Web agencies and offshores do usually lower rates, however you can't rely 100% on them for QA, vision, architect, webscale, practices, propositions etc .

Depending also if you practice homeworking / coworking spaces. Our lowest rates are mainly due to this, this is mainly because we work from home and do some real meeting time to time.

You could try to get trainees, but your application quality will suffer except you have found a trainee star or you pair program with him 4h / day .

logo_d4w_2010 5k.png

Adrian Hass

Feb 21, 2011, 10:55:57 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomas,

Tested several individuals for 45�/hr here in Berlin with two years experience. But most of them were recent converts from Java and were not groovy enough for our purposes.

We had some good experiences with a company from Poland and they charged from 15� (junior 1-2yrs), 25�(2-3yrs) to 35 (3yrs+). As long as you get your team together for something like 2 week kickoff and have some means of code review in place I can also recommend that.

Regards,
Adrian

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Tomas Lin <toma...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I've recently had to interview a bunch of developers, and have been
given a very wide range of costs and prices ranging from $15/hour to
�500 per day.

I'm guessing this varies in different areas of the world. Given the
relative scarcity of Grails developers in the world, what would you
consider to be a fair price for hiring a developer hourly?

logo_d4w_2010 5k.png

St�phane MALDINI
Consultant�
(+33) 6 79 92 67 22

Tomas Lin

Feb 21, 2011, 11:01:57 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.

I wonder how 3+ years of grails experience is calculated considering Grails 1.0 was out only in Feb 2008. I remember the grails community being tiny back then. How many 0.5 developers can there really be out there?

Are they saying 'This is a java developer with 3 years experience including grails"?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Adrian Hass <adria...@googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane MALDINI
Consultant
(+33) 6 79 92 67 22

Stephane Maldini

Feb 21, 2011, 10:46:13 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com, Tomas Lin
sry for typos :s
Finally, I will prefer to hire a good junior at £350-400, or I will hire an expert for at least £600+ (on a 6 month contract)
logo_d4w_2010 5k.png
logo_d4w_2010 5k.png

Stephane Maldini

Feb 21, 2011, 11:52:39 AM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com, Tomas Lin
I think this is Java/Groovy including Grails (and hopefully major part is grails). We have the chance to work with Spring Consultants time to time for instance and we are certain of their skill there but it's not the same price :).
logo_d4w_2010 5k.png

Adrian Hass

Feb 21, 2011, 12:34:54 PM2/21/11
to grails-startup...@googlegroups.com
I never asked actually... Maybe is the same rate they charge for Java and Grails developers and they don't even have a 3 year grails dev. Or someone with Groovy experience.

We we quite happy with our 25�-Guy... It was a masters student how worked part time for us last year and now is finished and works full time. Since he did a lot of API.devlopment it was a good choice, since we also hired an android developer from them. (I can give you some contact data if you like.)

Regards,
Adrian

Am 21.02.2011 17:01, schrieb Tomas Lin:
[...]

Mengu