Communicating to GWT services

James Dunning

Jul 2, 2013, 4:46:19 AM7/2/13
to grail...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Please excuse my ignorance as I am reasonably new to grails and GWT however, I have managed to put a basic GWT webapp together using the Grails GWT plugin 0.9.1 with ease.  I understand the basics of integrating GWT with a grails service by using the static expose = ['gwt:to some gwt package'] However, I can not seem to find any documentation, blogs or tutorials which covers the basics of getting a grails service to communicate to GWT..

Basically, what i want to do is have a REST interface, defined by the UrlMappings file which invokes the controller upon a GET request and I want the controller to poke data to the GWT to update dynamically widget on the client..

I have done this before but not using grails, which required the use of atmostphere framework, to dynamically update a JSF widget.  I would like to see how this can be done using the grails framework and GWT..

Thanks

James Dunning

Jul 2, 2013, 7:25:47 AM7/2/13
to grail...@googlegroups.com

After digging around, it looks like i need the grails atmosphere plugin, along with the GWT Atmosphere framework...

David Dawson

Jul 2, 2013, 7:32:11 AM7/2/13
to grail...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Yes, this would be a good approach.  There's nothing in the gwt plugin that currently supports server side push events down to the client.

This is something that is commonly done in many  JS side apps, and I've found that atmosphere is an excellent framework to use.

The grails plugin ecosystem does have some help on hand for this.

It might be worth investigating http://grails.org/plugin/platform-core

This includes an in built server side event bus that can be combined with http://grails.org/plugin/events-push to include the browser in a common event bus (this uses atmosphere)

I'm not sure if there's a way to address a particular browser from the server side, I don't believe so.  If you don't need to do that, then those two plugins, plus possibly GWT/ atmosphere on the browser side should get you a long way to having browser<->server eventing in a pretty minimal amount of code.

Best,

David.

--

---