Grafx2 on macOS Monterey

Paul Braun

Feb 1, 2022, 2:51:30 AM2/1/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com
I've just installed GrafX2 on my MacBook running macOS Monterey after trying it years ago on Linux, but at that time I didn't really like the look and feel of it, because I didn't think it was much like the classic Deluxe Paint on the Amiga, which I used to use a lot. I was even using it in 2021 again! I have never found anything else much like it on MS Windows or Linux, so when I stopped using the Amiga and started using PCs instead this made me give up doing graphic art! After a nasty accident with my Amiga A1200 I don't know what to do, so I downloaded GrafX2 for macOS.

I had to install GrafX2 by installing the package handler macport first. The website said that there was no other version for macOS. I didn't really understand this, but I followed the instructions which seemed to be like actually compiling source code! Why is this necessary?

After finding that GrafX2 had actually installed into my Applications and onto my Launchpad, I clicked and it started up. I didn't like the display showing me that I was supposed to work on one corner of the screen as the default, so I tried changing this to a full screen mode like in DeLuxe Paint and then GrafX2 crashed! I tried changing it to another full screen mode and it crashed again! Eventually, I found I was able to select full screen modes without it crashing, though.

After all this, I tried loading a piece or graphic artwork I had been doing in the little known macOS app PaintX. This seemed to work better than under PaintX itself. However, I couldn't find two tools that I used under DeLuxe Paint. I hope someone in this list can tell me where they might be hidden or what I can do instead.

As my graphic artwork had originally been created in PaintX with a limited palette, the palette wasn't arranged in the same layout. It was difficult for me to find the same colours. This is where the Pick tool in DeLuxe Paint would have helped. I was using the Fill tool a lot of the time. However, when I came to an area that wasn't completely enclosed I needed to complete the outline. Unfortunately, this outline had been drawn with a line tool that was at least a few pixels thick. All I could find was a pencil that drew lines one pixel thick. I looked around for some help which might enable me to draw a line that was thicker. I read that the answer was to press SHIFT and H to increase the thickness and just H to decrease it again. I tried both of these, but they didn't work!

I hope someone on this list can answer my questions.

--

Paul

Adrien Destugues

Feb 1, 2022, 3:08:05 AM2/1/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com, Paul Braun
Hello,

> I had to install GrafX2 by installing the package handler macport first. The website said that
> there was no other version for macOS. I didn't really understand this, but I followed the
> instructions which seemed to be like actually compiling source code! Why is this necessary?

Personally I don't have a MacOS machine so I can't provide an already compiled version myself.
In the past we had other people do it, but they lost interest or do not have MacOS machines
anymore. So, no one could provide a build for us to put on the website.

> After finding that GrafX2 had actually installed into my Applications and onto my Launchpad, I
> clicked and it started up. I didn't like the display showing me that I was supposed to work on one
> corner of the screen as the default, so I tried changing this to a full screen mode like in DeLuxe
> Paint and then GrafX2 crashed! I tried changing it to another full screen mode and it crashed
> again! Eventually, I found I was able to select full screen modes without it crashing, though.

I don't know if the version available in macports is up to date. Can you check the version in the
splash screen or about box? If it's an older version, it's quite possible the problem was already
fixed in a newer one. Otherwise, it could be a problem specific to MacOS, in which case it will be
difficult for me to fix it.

> After all this, I tried loading a piece or graphic artwork I had been doing in the little known
> macOS app PaintX. This seemed to work better than under PaintX itself. However, I couldn't find two
> tools that I used under DeLuxe Paint. I hope someone in this list can tell me where they might be
> hidden or what I can do instead.

The complete documentation for all the tools is available online here:
http://grafx2.gitlab.io/grafX2/htmldoc
It is also available in the program itself by pressing the F1 key. If you use that key with the
mouse hovering a button, it will display help for that specific button.

> As my graphic artwork had originally been created in PaintX with a limited palette, the palette
> wasn't arranged in the same layout. It was difficult for me to find the same colours. This is where
> the Pick tool in DeLuxe Paint would have helped. I was using the Fill tool a lot of the time.
> However, when I came to an area that wasn't completely enclosed I needed to complete the outline.
> Unfortunately, this outline had been drawn with a line tool that was at least a few pixels thick.
> All I could find was a pencil that drew lines one pixel thick. I looked around for some help which
> might enable me to draw a line that was thicker. I read that the answer was to press SHIFT and H to
> increase the thickness and just H to decrease it again. I tried both of these, but they didn't
> work!

You can change your paintbrush size using the paintbrush menu (initially it will look like a button
with a 1px dot on it, it is the first button at the top left of the menu). Various paintbrush
shapes
and sizes are available there.

Your questions make me wonder if the menu with all the tools is visible at the bottom like in these
screenshots: http://grafx2.chez.com/index.php?static2/screenshots

This should make it easy to find all the tools, but maybe it ended up not being visible for you?
(it is possible to hide and show it using the F10 key for example, or maybe you used a videomode
that doesn't work correctly on your display and the menu is outside the screen)

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy

miniupnp

Feb 1, 2022, 3:58:29 AM2/1/22
Le 01/02/2022 à 10:15, Adrien Destugues a écrit :
> Hello,
>
>> I had to install GrafX2 by installing the package handler macport first. The website said that
>> there was no other version for macOS. I didn't really understand this, but I followed the
>> instructions which seemed to be like actually compiling source code! Why is this necessary?
> Personally I don't have a MacOS machine so I can't provide an already compiled version myself.
> In the past we had other people do it, but they lost interest or do not have MacOS machines
> anymore. So, no one could provide a build for us to put on the website.
There are a few compiled versions for macOS available on
https://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2/downloads
The last one was built for 10.15+ and x86_64 cpus.

Building from source code is the best way to have the latest version
built for you CPU and System.
macOS is particular for not always maintaining backward or forward
compatibility.

>> After finding that GrafX2 had actually installed into my Applications and onto my Launchpad, I
>> clicked and it started up. I didn't like the display showing me that I was supposed to work on one
>> corner of the screen as the default, so I tried changing this to a full screen mode like in DeLuxe
>> Paint and then GrafX2 crashed! I tried changing it to another full screen mode and it crashed
>> again! Eventually, I found I was able to select full screen modes without it crashing, though.
> I don't know if the version available in macports is up to date. Can you check the version in the
> splash screen or about box? If it's an older version, it's quite possible the problem was already
> fixed in a newer one. Otherwise, it could be a problem specific to MacOS, in which case it will be
> difficult for me to fix it.

I think I can update the macports version if needed. I just was using an
old G4 for this ;)

Joshua Jauregui

May 3, 2022, 2:16:30 PM5/3/22
to GrafX2
Ive been Trying to get GrafX2 to work on my m1 mac and havent had any luck.
After troubleshooting if found the problem to be cause the app is 32bit and 64bit is the only thing that will run natively on it.

miniupnp

May 7, 2022, 5:36:58 AM5/7/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Jauregui
Some 64bits (x86_64) packages are available on https://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2/downloads

however you'd better build a arm64 version by yourself.
have you tried using macports ?

Thomas
--

---