Quick Fix: Animation and Layers

BluFudge CrispyRice

Jun 15, 2023, 2:37:47 AM6/15/23
to GrafX2
Hello,
From my poking around on Grafx2's sites, I found that you guys indeed are working on a way to integrate the two.

From what I understand, it's something like this:

I'm looking forward to it, but since there seems to be some development issues in trying to get two horizontal strips to appear like that.

After a long period of time, I've started using Grafx2 again. While using it, it just hit me how we can combine animation frames and layers in the same horizontal strip.

pulko...@pulkomandy.tk

Jun 15, 2023, 3:03:41 AM6/15/23
to gra...@googlegroups.com
15 juin 2023 à 08:34 "BluFudge CrispyRice" <micl...@gmail.com> a écrit:

> Hello,
> From my poking around on Grafx2's sites, I found that you guys indeed are working on a way to integrate the two.
>
> From what I understand, it's something like this:
>
> I'm looking forward to it, but since there seems to be some development issues in trying to get two horizontal strips to appear like that.
>
> After a long period of time, I've started using Grafx2 again. While using it, it just hit me how we can combine animation frames and layers in the same horizontal strip.

Hello,

The problem with having both animations and layers is not really the user interface, indeed it is easy to show both strips in the menu.

The problem is with the internals of the code, which reuse the same data structures for layers and animations in several places. This would require a lot of rework to separate the two, and creates some complications in the management of undo/redo (where we only save the modified frame or layer, and now we would need to save only the modified layer of the modified frame). Things like deleting a layer (which now would have to delete many frames) or deleting a frame (which would delete all layers in that frame) become more complicated.

When saving files, we use "frames" in GIF files as either layers or animation frames. We can't use them for both things. So we would need a new file format.

--
Adrien.

BluFudge CrispyRice

Jun 16, 2023, 3:05:37 AM6/16/23
to GrafX2
Ah, interesting... I might have misunderstood.
I was going to give some single bar suggestions but there's no point.

Really enjoying the program so far, it's fantastic.