Text rendering is broken

Isaac LaComb

Oct 3, 2022, 2:42:46 AM10/3/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com
Outside of GrafX2's own fonts, text rendering is broken. It appears as if the raw image data is interpreted as having a width several pixels fewer than what it should be, leaving the text unreadable. In other words, it's rendering too many pixels to the first row, so it goes to the next, and then doesn't go back to the very left when starting the next row, etc.

Interestingly, this even happens with Windows bitmap fonts (which I'm surprised render at all, even though I'm on Linux).

This only occurs with SDL2 on Linux, so far as I have tested. The SDL1 version does not have this issue, nor do I experience it when running the Win32 version in Wine. I was unable to test the X11 version due to errors in compiling.

I believe the issue is due to some changes in libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0 version 2.0.18 .

pulko...@pulkomandy.tk

Oct 3, 2022, 2:50:00 AM10/3/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it sounds likely SDL2-ttf changed something. Any idea what?

I created a ticket to track this (the bug had already been reported by Debian):
https://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2/ticket/171#ticket

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy

miniupnp

Oct 8, 2022, 10:51:40 AM10/8/22
to gra...@googlegroups.com, is...@lacombfamily.com
Hello,
text rendering using SDL2-ttf has been fixed with
https://gitlab.com/GrafX2/grafX2/-/commit/7e5daa65a8699f6640bf51272c925f4307164f9f

you can grab the latest sources and test again

Thomas.