hacktoberfest

Julien Pivotto

Sep 28, 2020, 3:40:12 PM9/28/20
to grafana-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello team,

Hacktoberfest is a great way to get new contributors/community members:
https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/

There are only 6 issues tagged hacktoberfest (and that's great!!):
https://github.com/grafana/grafana/labels/Hacktoberfest

But I guess that out of the 2.8k issues, we can find other good exemples
that would fit that? I'd suggest we try to tag more issues to make this
hacktober a great event.

Regards,

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie

Diana Payton

Sep 28, 2020, 3:46:39 PM9/28/20
to Grafana Developers
Fun fact, I added those six issues last Friday. Most of them have been claimed already. There is a mighty need for more Hacktoberfest issues, folks!

And don't be afraid that the issue is too small or boring or unworthy. One of them, which has already been completed, was to change markdown list bullets from `*` to `-`. Give the people new to OSS the opportunity to cut their teeth, and save yourself some boring (to you) chores.

Diana Payton

Marcus Efraimsson

Sep 28, 2020, 6:02:22 PM9/28/20
to Grafana Developers
Thanks for the reminder and suggestions Julien and thanks both of you for being proactive!

The Grafana project has been involved in Hacktoberfest for the last 2 years with pretty good results. It has usually been organized like the last day before it starts and a bit ad-hoc so great we're starting a couple days in advance this year.

Given some learnings from earlier years we've had great success with some Hacktoberfest contributors by writing down some instructions and pointers to the code in question that probably needs changes. This is in general applicable to a bit more involved/advanced issues. However, since Grafana includes a lot of different features, panels, data source etc that could be very hard for any contributor that never seen/used Grafana so it's probably a good idea to add as much information as possible. Besides the Hacktoberfest label there are related ones like beginner friendly  and help wanted that you also should consider adding

Here's a couple examples of old Hacktoberfest issues that includes instructions/pointers to code:

As Diana suggests, add the label to any issue you see fit. If you don't have access to add labels, add a comment in the issue or post here for further help if you think you've found a suitable issue for Hacktoberfest. We'll try to go through the list of issues before October 1st to verify it has all the basic information needed.

As explained, earlier years the focus of Hacktoberfest has been the Grafana project. But this year I think it's time that we also consider all of the other related Grafana repositories as well, For example plugins, tutorialsGrafonnetHelm charts, Terraform Provider etc.

I'm planning to post a new topic here before October 1st that's more directly targets Hacktoberfest contributors with some information about Grafana, how to get started, how to contribute and where to reach out for help/assistance.

Feedback/ideas/suggestions are very welcome.

Kind regards,
Marcus Efraimsson