Grafana logfile when running pre-compiled

Danny de Waard

Feb 13, 2021, 4:47:11 AM2/13/21
to Grafana Developers
Where does grafana log its own logging when running form a precompiled version?

Emil Tullstedt

Feb 15, 2021, 8:18:14 AM2/15/21
to Danny de Waard, Grafana Developers
That's very dependent on which system you are using, for Linux it is more often than not configured to write to /var/log/grafana/grafana.log by default. If you're running Grafana as a systemd service, you should also be able to access the logs from journald:

sudo journalctl -u grafana-server.service

The troubleshooting page in the docs contains some additional information about where to look for the logs for the other systems:

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Danny de Waard <waa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Where does grafana log its own logging when running form a precompiled version?

Danny de Waard

Feb 15, 2021, 10:50:44 AM2/15/21
to Grafana Developers
Your answer directed me to the grafana ini file which states that my log is going to data/log
My grafana starts in /appl/zabbix/grafana-server/bin and so the complete dir is /appl/zabbix/grafana-server/data/log
This is where my logging is.

But tnx for the directions :)

Daniel Lee

Feb 15, 2021, 11:18:38 AM2/15/21
to Emil Tullstedt, Danny de Waard, Grafana Developers
The Grafana docs for installing on each OS list the location of all the files. See the package details section for Linux for example: https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/installation/debian/#package-details

Danny de Waard

Feb 16, 2021, 2:07:59 AM2/16/21
to Grafana Developers
When downloading, extracting and running the tar.gz package it does not really state the location.
You can configure it in the ini file from the root of the running Grafana. In my case /appl/zabbix/grafana-server/data/log
I see that my previous message is missing some text.

Daniel Lee

Feb 16, 2021, 6:50:34 AM2/16/21
to Danny de Waard, Grafana Developers
If you are not using a package and extracting from the tar then Grafana falls back to the default configuration values which you can see in the conf/defaults.ini file. The paths.logs setting will be used: https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/administration/configuration/#logs to set the path.

/Daniel