Grafana 8: switch to light

Julien Pivotto

Oct 17, 2020, 8:04:11 AM10/17/20
to grafana-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear developers,

I find the light theme really great. It has been hugely improved in the
last years, and I think it produce clear and nice dashboards.

I was wondering if we should can consider switching the default theme in
grafana 8 to light?

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie

Carl Bergquist

Oct 17, 2020, 12:28:08 PM10/17/20
to Grafana Developers
UnitedPhonyHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Emil Tullstedt

Oct 19, 2020, 6:21:00 AM10/19/20
to grafana-d...@googlegroups.com
Now that light/dark mode has made it into the browsers, I think it'd be even better to add support for automatic color scheme detection. To me it would make sense to have auto-detection as the default option for new installations as well eventually (maybe beginning in Grafana 8). Changing color scheme isn't hard to do, but it's better when you can do it once in your OS/browser settings and having your preference propagated to every application.

I'd avoid changing the color scheme for existing installations. While it's bad practice to set up dashboards that don't work with both light and dark mode we should assume there is a significant number of dashboards tightly coupled with dark mode.

#teamlightmode

Diana Payton

Oct 19, 2020, 12:32:22 PM10/19/20
to Emil Tullstedt, Grafana Developers
My husband spends a large portion of his day staring at dashboards, including Grafana's. His response to changing the default is hilarious, with lots of howling, "Why? Why would you do this?" His argument is that no one wants to spend all day staring at the blinding whiteness of pain.

Diana Payton
#DarkModeLikeMySoul

Dieter Plaetinck

Oct 19, 2020, 12:55:26 PM10/19/20
to Emil Tullstedt, grafana-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM 'Emil Tullstedt' via Grafana Developers <grafana-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
While it's bad practice to set up dashboards that don't work with both light and dark mode we should assume there is a significant number of dashboards tightly coupled with dark mode.

IMO creating a dashboard that works well both in dark and light is very challenging and impractical to do in the UI. I find myself just trying some colors and flipping the theme back and forth while tweaking the colors until I get something that looks okay but inevitably is suboptimal. I think grafana’s UI could make this process easier (eg suggest palettes known to work equally well in both themes and even that has issues eg with the fill option where colors blend ) otherwise people don’t bother.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM Julien Pivotto <roidel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear developers,

I find the light theme really great. It has been hugely improved in the
last years, and I think it produce clear and nice dashboards.

I was wondering if we should can consider switching the default theme in
grafana 8 to light?

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie

Patrick O'Carroll

Oct 20, 2020, 4:25:01 AM10/20/20
to Dieter Plaetinck, Emil Tullstedt, grafana-d...@googlegroups.com
Work is being done on both themes for Grafana 8. So hopefully the dark theme will clear and nice dashboards and the light theme won't be a blinding whiteness of pain.😉

I think Emils suggestion is really nice but for it to work the issue Dieter points out needs to be fixed. When we did the new color picker the idea was that you should be able to switch between themes and the colors should work in both themes. But it failed since we didn't mirror the brightness of the colors. Since I am responsible for the color picker design I will look into a fix for it.