Grafana release and design doc update

Daniel Lee

Sep 28, 2020, 1:25:41 PM9/28/20
to Grafana Developers
Hi all,

Here is an update about the latest release and the upcoming 7.3 release.

Grafana 7.2 released

Grafana 7.2  was released on Wednesday. Read the blog post here and the changelog for a more detailed list of changes.

Some of the main highlights were:
  • Custom data format options (a feature we have talked about for ~5 years)
  • Field options are out of beta
  • Table column filters
  • A new Group By transform has been added to transformations and a UX improvement for transformations - drag and drop reordering
  • Explore - the query inspector has been added to Explore mode
  • Explore - we got an awesome contribution from Fredrik Enestad to add a feature to toggle parsed Loki fields.
  • Prometheus - the new $__rate_interval variable adds some logic that should make using the rate function in Grafana much easier (PR here).
  • For 7.0, we announced that we would be deprecating multi-org support. In this release, we removed the deprecation notice as we are going to keep multi-org support (got lots of feedback that it is an essential feature for many).
Other releases:

Grafana 7.3 planning
  • This is a short release to sync with ObservabilityCon (also called CDD - Conference Driven Development). The release contains features that will be demoed at the conference (hint: tracing and Explore - see Exemplars design doc below).
  • Beta on October 14th. Full release around 1-2 weeks after that.
Grafana community call on plugins signing

Marcus Olsson organized a community call on a hot topic for the plugins developers - plugins signing. We plan to enforce that all Grafana plugins have to be signed (a security measure to make sure that plugins haven't been tampered with). The session was recorded.

Design docs

As the 7.3 release is a special, short release, there is a lot of work underway that is aimed for the 7.4 release. Here are some of the design docs that have been written or are being written (and more coming soon):
If you don't have access to any of these docs, then ask here and I can give you access. Some of them are already open to everyone.

/Daniel

Julien Pivotto

Sep 28, 2020, 2:24:47 PM9/28/20
to Daniel Lee, Grafana Developers
Hello,

On 28 Sep 19:25, 'Daniel Lee' via Grafana Developers wrote:
> [...]
> - Explore - we got an awesome contribution from Fredrik Enestad
> <https://github.com/fredr> to add a feature to toggle parsed Loki fields
> <https://github.com/grafana/grafana/pull/26178>.
> - Prometheus - the new $__rate_interval variable
> <https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/features/datasources/prometheus/#using-__rate_interval-variable>
> adds
> some logic that should make using the rate function in Grafana much
> easier (PR
> here <https://github.com/grafana/grafana/pull/26937>).
> - For 7.0, we announced that we would be deprecating multi-org support.
> In this release, we removed the deprecation notice as we are going to keep
> multi-org support (got lots of feedback that it is an essential feature for
> many).
>
> Other releases:
>
> - Azure Data Explorer 3.1
> <https://github.com/grafana/azure-data-explorer-datasource/releases/tag/v3.1.0>:
> we released a new version with lots of improvements to the visual query
> builder. Hoping to reuse a lot of the work on the visual quer builder on
> other data sources.
> - AWS x-ray (tracing) data source
> <https://github.com/grafana/x-ray-datasource> will be released very soon.
> - Kevin Minehard released the GitHub data source
> <https://grafana.com/grafana/plugins/grafana-github-datasource>. You can
> read his blog post on How we use the Grafana GitHub plugin to track
> outstanding pull requests
> <https://grafana.com/blog/2020/09/21/how-we-use-the-grafana-github-plugin-to-track-outstanding-pull-requests/>
>

> *Grafana 7.3 planning*
>
> - This is a short release to sync with ObservabilityCon
> <https://grafana.com/blog/2020/09/14/observabilitycon-is-coming.-what-will-you-talk-about/>
> (also
> called CDD - Conference Driven Development). The release contains features
> that will be demoed at the conference (hint: tracing and Explore - see
> Exemplars design doc below).
> - Beta on October 14th. Full release around 1-2 weeks after that.
>
> *Grafana community call on plugins signing*
>
> Marcus Olsson organized a community call on a hot topic for the plugins
> developers - plugins signing. We plan to enforce that all Grafana plugins
> have to be signed
> <https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/plugins/plugin-signature-verification/>
> (a
> security measure to make sure that plugins haven't been tampered
> with). The session
> was recorded
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8zoNvExkf-XQDWbAJw9CFX-8oxLnf6W/view?usp=sharing>
> .
>
> *Design docs*
>
> As the 7.3 release is a special, short release, there is a lot of work
> underway that is aimed for the 7.4 release. Here are some of the design
> docs that have been written or are being written (and more coming soon):

Do you expect the pull request on the Prometheus side to be merged on
time? I'd like to at least make sure that the API changes in the PR is
accepted before the implementation in grafana and won't change.

https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/6635

> - ADX visual query editor
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HUVjo5FsWKtcq__rcygpoBhob50D29QF_hxLk-GoZPk/edit?usp=sharing>
> - Multiple views in Explore
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y8LC2p4dTmV7j5sx5u2IQWEJYzLqKoNofWCkONtrDB0/edit?usp=sharing>
> (x-ray
> data source)
> - Rich History in Explore - Share short url
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AFK-EhBkz__5X9_R4HdLaalkQoWFFlSQ25C0GjeiZQE/edit?usp=sharing>
> (open
> PR from mistersquishy <https://github.com/mistersquishy> is here
> <https://github.com/grafana/grafana/pull/27409>)
> - Elasticsearch data source overhaul
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kqb37iEOoEzzMXFnZjozaGqtxqevAeo4NWsRf9zUc3c/edit?usp=sharing>
> - React Graph panel
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X3GTNF8TfS8GK3QJOKzsX0etzqSA-GK8_lUDchkOVt4/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> If you don't have access to any of these docs, then ask here and I can give
> you access. Some of them are already open to everyone.
>
> /Daniel
>
> --

Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie
signature.asc

Daniel Lee

Sep 28, 2020, 2:37:01 PM9/28/20
to Grafana Developers, David Kaltschmidt, Zoltán Bedi, Andrej Ocenas
Hi Julien,

As far as I know, we're not expecting the PR on the Prometheus side to be merged by then and we will hide the exemplar code in Grafana behind a feature flag to make sure we don't expose something that would break for users at a later stage. But David K, Zoltan and Andrej know more about this than me.

/Daniel

Andrej Ocenas

Sep 28, 2020, 3:08:19 PM9/28/20
to Grafana Developers
Will just confirm what Daniel said, the hard deadline for the ObservabilityCon is for a demo so the code won't be public at the time and as long as we can demo on a prometheus branch that's ok.

Andrej