7 days to go and author information

Pernille Ripp

Sep 27, 2015, 9:04:23 PM9/27/15
to Global Read Aloud 2015
Good evening from quiet Sun Prairie, WI
I cannot believe that the final countdown to Global Read Aloud 2015 has begun!  Kick off is next Monday, October 5th and this is now the biggest Global Read Aloud ever with approximately 476,000 students signed up worldwide.

Connections Wanted:
If you are still looking for a connection, please try the Facebook page.  A lot of people seem to be having luck there https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677451162491208/

Merchandise:
I am so excited because I ordered my new shirt and it is on its way.  New for the year is the new design but also that you can get it in a multitude of colors, just click the shirt and change the color!  https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pernilleripp/?noCache=true#

Kick Off Ideas:
I would love if you would share kick off ideas on this Google Doc - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LObt8imQev_Djz6YM39_Y9Vr2YJu2EZ-UF5j8JUZjXc/edit?usp=sharing

Twitter:
Twitter is a central tool to the GRA and one that authors in particular love using for interacting with classrooms.  There are specific hashtags for each book and there are also slowchats for the books happening each week.  Your students do not need a Twitter account but can participate through yours.  Also, Lynda Mullaly Hunt is using Twitter to alert readers to the various giveaways she is doing throughout the project!

Author participation:
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a creative genius.  Not only will we be running a contest for her new book Awake Beautiful Child, she has also asked us to do Random Acts of Kindness weeks, A finale that involves Roald Dahl, as well as some other amazing things.  A whole blog post will be forthcoming on all the fun she will be a part of.  She will also be using the hashtag #GRAAmy to stay in touch with as many people as possible.  Due to work, she will not be able to skype with individual classes, but we may be able to do a culminating one!

Kevin Henkes does not use technology much and will therefore not be participating.

Lynda Mullaly Hunt is doing amazing things as well.  Follow her on Twitter to stay up-to-date with giveaways, as well as on her blog https://lyndamullalyhunt.wordpress.com/  Her Skype calendar is full but she has agreed to do a culminating Google Hangout.  She is already using the hashtag #GRAFIAT to check in with people.

Laura Dron will be using her hashtag #GRAFish to communicate and may even drop by blogs and such to say hello.

Meg Medina will also be using her hashtag #GRAYaqui and has also agreed to do a culminating Google Hangout.

Write About:

Get Started:

  1. View the Global Read Aloud page on Write About: writeabout.com/gra

  2. Register for a free Write About account as a teacher

  3. Fill out a short survey to access a GRA promo code for the free upgrade

  4. Follow the directions in the email to complete the upgrade

I am so excited that so many of the authors will be participating again this year.

Say hello:
While almost all of my days are spent with my awesome 7th graders in Oregon, Wisconsin (our door is always open!), I do get to travel a little bit this year to speak and meet amazing people.  So if you are at Edscape in New Jersey on October 17th or at NCTE in November please come and say hi.  I love meeting all of the passionate people that are a part of the GRA family.  Also, my book just came out if you are interested in ideas for how to engage and empower your students.  It is called "Passionate Learners" and I think it is pretty good, but I am biased.

All my best,
Pernille Ripp
@pernilleripp