Anyone got another method to enter tasks via google wear (your watch)

James Heath

Sep 25, 2022, 5:01:28 PM9/25/22
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Hi,
for the last couple of years I've been adding tasks using google assistant from my watch, triggering IFTTT to email the task in to Gqueues.
Google switched off this functionality in IFTTT on 1st sept.

Has anyone got an alternative method?

not happy with google!!

Fabio F.

Jul 12, 2023, 12:30:07 AM7/12/23
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Hi James,
since last autumn i've been replacing your method with a more convoluted one:
* add task to my to-do list through google assistant
* link my to-do list to Bring (integrated in google assistant)
* set Bring to integrate with Alexa list (yes, Alexa)
* set IFTTT to send an email to GQueues when an item was added to Alexa list

Weird, but it worked.

Now Google broke even Bring integration, allowing only its Google Tasks integration.
There is an IFTTT's Google Tasks trigger but here the problem is: how to add a task without specifying date and time reminder?
If I ask Google: "Add the task: test", I am asked when and at wht time to set a reminder and I did not find a way to do the same without reminder (at least in italian).

Very frustrating.

If you find a workaround, pleasse share it

James Heath

Jul 12, 2023, 9:47:41 AM7/12/23
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Hi Fabio,

I cam really close to switching task management systems!
The solution I ended up with in the end was to pass the task through Alexa, which I'd already set up to send on to GQueues.
To do this I used a 3rd party app to add Alexa to my watch:
this has a watch app too - see  https://www.ultimatevoiceassistant.com/
(Amazon do have their own app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.alexaonwearos&hl=en_GB&gl=US but it doesn't work with my watch).

I've set this up to work on the 2nd button on my watch. It works OK, but isn't exactly brilliant - I find myself using it much less than the old way with IFTTT. I probably need to work a bit more on getting the setting right. TBH I'm impressed the devs at ultimatevoiceassistant have managed to make this work at all - it feels like they're going beyond the bounds of what Amazon intended.

You do have to pay for the app after the trial, but it's not expensive.

Do let  me know how you get on!

Cheers,
James

Fabio F.

Jul 19, 2023, 5:23:13 AM7/19/23
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Thank you James for your tips.

Maybe I will end up with your solution, even if what I would like is the possibility to add a task through Google Assistant (I have a Google smart speaker in every room).
There is an IFTTT integration that allows to
Add task to Google Tasks -> Send email to Gqueues - > add task to  Gqueues.

What bothers me is that the vocal command to add  task to Google Tasks does not allow to create a task without due date and time (this makes the command too long), and it's weird since it's possible in task to Google Tasks app and website.

I hope that Google will soon implement this option.
In the meanwhile I will give a try to your Alexa solution, only on the watch.

Cheers,
Fabio