GQRX runs on Ubuntu 14.04 but not on 16.04

g33t...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 2:58:01 PM1/31/19
to Gqrx SDR
I'm experimenting with a FUNcube Pro+ feeding GQRX on Ubuntu Linux.

GQRX installed & ran fine on 14.04, but that is not the PC I want to run it on. I want it on a PC which has 16.04 on it.

There's an account including error messages here:
https://g3yjr.wordpress.com/2019/01/30/gqrx-on-ubuntu-linux-with-funcube-dongle-pro-fcd/

Help!

Graham G3YJR

Richard Bown

Jan 31, 2019, 3:08:59 PM1/31/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I suspect you will get exactly the same answers you got on the other forum with the same question Graham.
If you move to Ubuntu 18.04LTS you will find NO problems with the current and latest version of gqrx.
73 Richard

Robin Gape

Jan 31, 2019, 3:35:31 PM1/31/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Graham,

the note at the link quoted is a little confusing.

The words start by noting how GQRX has been installed on Ubuntu 14.04. Then, right at the end, there is reference to Ubuntu 16.04. The reader is left confused, more than a little, as to where 16.04 might have come from, and how and why, and at what point in the narrative.

In regards to the aOaOaOaO… sequence, that, if memory serves correctly, indicates an audio overflow. That is to say, audio samples are being offered to the audio output device at a greater rate than it can accept.

Otherwise, Ubuntu 16.04 has no issues, in and of itself, in running GQRX with an FCDPP. (Nor, for that matter, does Ubuntu 18.04)

HTH, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 4:25:35 AM2/6/19
to Gqrx SDR
Robin,

I'm a complete beginner with GQRX.

I tiidied up my blog post when I saw your comment, so I hope it makes more sense now.

Audio overflow looks a possibility as you suggest. I don't know the effect of the volkprofile optimisation. It seems odd that it is the i7 PC which is not coping, whereas the i5 works with the GQRX software and the FCD.

I'm running GQRX version 2.11.5 on Ubuntu 18.04.

I'll investigate further today.

Thanks for responding.

73

Graham - G3YJR

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 6:54:26 AM2/6/19
to Gqrx SDR
I still get the problem of a stream of 0a's interspersed with No Audio FTT data error messages with Ubuntu 18.04.

Initially, I get an error box, but it doesn't tell me what the "problems" are or how to address them:

Gqrx has detected problems with the current configuration. Loading the configuration again could cause the application to crash. Do you want to edit the settings? I say yes.

It offers me an audio output sample rate of 48kHx, but with no option to change this. For Device it offers Default and Built-In Audio Analogue Stereo. I'm guessing these are the same device.

I've tried changing the decimation rate, but this made no difference.

What do I need to change to fix this? I continue to search the forum, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Graham

Richard Bown

Feb 6, 2019, 7:03:02 AM2/6/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
If you have a i7 processor on that computer, have you checked as been
suggested before and on previous posts by others with similar problems
that you are not using the dongle in a USB3 socket
Have you tied that dongle in different USB sockets on the MOBO ???
Just say its recognised by another program is not an answer
The funcube dongle is not USB3
TRY OTHER USB SOCKETS , and post the result
Richard

Alexandru Csete

Feb 6, 2019, 8:27:10 AM2/6/19
to Gqrx
Graham,

From the log on your website it looks like the FCD Pro+ control
interface is working, so that's fine. I think the audio output device
is fine too; however, the "No audio FFT data" suggests that no samples
are coming from the Funcube Dongle. I suppose you don't see any
activity on the FFT plot and the waterfall either.

So, I guess the audio device "hw:2" in the device string is incorrect.

Check which device the FCD is using "cat /proc/asound/cards" and use
the index in the device string, i.e. if the index is 1 you should
change to hw:1 in the device string.

Alex
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/55fc6412-a7b2-4d6b-8f37-91f66975da2e%40googlegroups.com.

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 12:03:12 PM2/6/19
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,

that is right: no plots on the the FFT display or waterfall.

cat /proc/asound/cards gave me:
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f30000 irq 29
 1 [V20            ]: USB-Audio - FUNcube Dongle V2.0
                      Hanlincrest Ltd. FUNcube Dongle V2.0 at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.1, full speed
 2 [SAA7134        ]: SAA7134 - SAA7134
                      saa7133[0] at 0xf7d00000 irq 20

lsusb gave me:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 045e:0083 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04d8:fb31 Microchip Technology, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
So that should be hw:1?

I re-launched gqrx:
linux; GNU C++ version 7.3.0; Boost_106501; UHD_003.010.003.000-0-unknown

linux; GNU C++ version 7.3.0; Boost_106501; UHD_003.010.003.000-0-unknown

Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd plutosdr miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
FM demod gain: 3.05577
Resampling audio 96000 -> 48000
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
BookmarksFile is /home/gray/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

RtApiAlsa::getDeviceInfo: snd_pcm_open error for device (hw:0,0), Device or resource busy.

getDeviceList : Available input devices:
   "FUNcube Dongle V2.0"
   "PlutoSDR"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"
   "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"
   "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"
   "hw:HDA Intel PCH,0"
   "hw:HDA Intel PCH,2"
   "hw:FUNcube Dongle V2.0,0"
   "hw:SAA7134,0"
   "default"
   "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
   "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"
   "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
Configuration file: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
Crash guard triggered!

In Configure IO Devices, 'Other...' appeared as the device.,
device string 'fcd=1'. I altered device to FUNcube Dongle V2.0 (witch reset 'fcd=1' to 'fcd=0'), and set 'fcd=1'. This gave:
Launching I/O device editor
firstTimeConfig
CIoConfig : Available output devices:
    0 : "Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo"
New input device selected: 1
  Label: "FUNcube Dongle V2.0"
  Devstr: "fcd=0"
I clicked OK and got a crash:
saveConfig
Configuration file: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd plutosdr miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
LLVM ERROR: out of memory
Aborted (core dumped)

I believe this PC has 8GB of memory.

Perhaps I got something wrong?

73
Graham G3YJR

Alexandru Csete

Feb 6, 2019, 2:42:41 PM2/6/19
to Gqrx
No! You need to use fcd=0 which means use the first available device.

Try:
fcd=0,type=2,device=hw:1

Though on my system running xubuntu 18.04 all I need is fcd=0

Btw, there is a link to device string docs from the website, but I
give it to you dorectly:
https://osmocom.org/projects/gr-osmosdr/wiki#FCD-Source

I have no idea why you run out of memory. Gqrx doesn't need more than
few 100 Mbytes.

Alex
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/02315f09-6ea7-4d0e-b886-daa8fe2f46a6%40googlegroups.com.

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2019, 6:49:33 AM2/7/19
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,

thanks for your advice. I found the default.conf file and amended:
[input]
device="fcd=0,type=2,device=hw:1"
frequency=144500000
I hope that is as you intended. Terminal gave:
In the Configure I/O Devices box, I noted Device had become set to Other... ,
but Device string was fcd=0,type=2,device=hw:1

I left these settings & launched gqrx. Terminal gave:
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd plutosdr miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
Using FUNcube Dongle V2.0 (hw:1)
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio source arch: alsa
Opened: hw:1
Dongle successfully initialized
Result of Action :+++++
FCDAPP 20.03
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
If gain set to: 15
IQ DCR samp_rate: 192000
IQ DCR alpha: 5.20831e-06
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 192000
New antenna selected: "RX"
********************
Gain name: "LNA"
      min: 0
      max: 1
     step: 1
Gain name: "MIX"
      min: 0
      max: 1
     step: 1
Gain name: "BB"
      min: 0
      max: 59
     step: 1
********************
No change in output device:
  old:
  new:
IQ DCR samp_rate: 192000
IQ DCR alpha: 5.20831e-06
Requested sample rate: 96000
Actual sample rate   : "192000.000000"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
Set Frequency to: 150000 Hz, corrected to: 150000 Hz
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
If gain set to: 15
New mode index: 0
Filter preset for mode 0 LO: 0 HI: 0
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Set Frequency to: 1.445e+08 Hz, corrected to: 144500000 Hz
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
aONew FFT rate: 25 Hz
aOaOaONew FFT rate: 25 Hz
aOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaOaO

I tried again, but in the Configure I/O Devices box, I altered Other... to FUNcube Dongle 2.0 and reset the Device string to fcd=0,type=2,device=hw:1. This gave a crash:
[...]
Requested sample rate: 192000
Actual sample rate   : "192000.000000"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
Set Frequency to: -7.20576e+16 Hz, corrected to: 2147483645 Hz
Set Frequency to: 150000 Hz, corrected to: 150000 Hz
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
If gain set to: 15
New mode index: 0
Filter preset for mode 0 LO: 0 HI: 0
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Set Frequency to: 1.445e+08 Hz, corrected to: 144500000 Hz
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  In hierarchical block source_impl, output 1 is not connected internally
Aborted (core dumped)

I note that in the Device options that there is a second option for FCD: hw:FUNcube 2.0,0

So I'm still struggling. Thanks again for your help. I'll check out your link to documentation.

73
Graham

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2019, 9:40:25 AM2/7/19
to Gqrx SDR
Richard, there is no blue tongue in the USB sockets and they are not marked SS orUSB3, so I am guessing they are USB2s.

Graham

Richard Bown

Feb 7, 2019, 11:51:40 AM2/7/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Dont rely on that ,
My new mobo has all white tongues on the sockets, but at least three are USB,
and any on the outside of the case maybe connected on headers off the pcb.
If you try on all you can at least eliminate that from the diagnostic list if it makes no difference.

Richard

Richard Bown

Feb 7, 2019, 11:59:35 AM2/7/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
edited a typo
On Thu, 2019-02-07 at 16:50 +0000, Richard Bown wrote:
Dont rely on that ,
My new mobo has all white tongues on the sockets, but at least three are USB3

Robin Gape

Feb 7, 2019, 8:11:53 PM2/7/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Graham,

Symptoms

looking at the trace of GQRX operation, it is noticeable that the reported issues are around the audio output device. In the first case quoted below, the aOaO… sequence indicates that some audio device is not taking data quickly enough. Unfortunately, that could either be the input from the FCD (which is processed as a USB-provided audio stream) or the audio output after processing. In the second case, the cryptic message provides a clue:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  In hierarchical block source_impl, output 1 is not connected internally
Aborted (core dumped)

The block referred to is a key block which interfaces to SDR peripherals of many sorts, which in this case should be an FCDPP. When the error message notes that "output 1 is not connected…", then something is radically wrong. In a nutshell, the circumstances which trigger such a message should never occur.

Diagnosis

What resources do we have that allow determining where the problem might be? In broad terms, and assuming a fully updated system, the problems might be:

a) with the FCDPP itself, or with it not being recognised by the host PC

b) with the GQRX installation, or some support adjunct

c) with the audio output from the host PC

To check a), QTHID 4.1 (just QTHID in the menu, or qthid from a terminal) may be used. It has a nasty quirk. For QTHID 4.1 to recognise an FCDPP, GQRX must not have been run beforehand. The simple solution is to reboot, run QTHID (not the 2-2 variant), and observe whether or not the FCDPP is recognised. If it has been recognised, then at the lower right-hand corner of the QTHID window,  the text FCD is active (20.03) will be shown. [This is applicable to Ubuntu 18.04 and 14.04]

To check b) is trickier. A reliable test is to make a substitution. The simplest substitution would be to use a different dongle, or perhaps an IQ file recorded with another installation. Alternatively, a different GQRX installation could be used, with the same dongle. If GQRX fails to operate, then the installation is called in to question. See below.

To check c), the obvious solution is to play an audio file or stream, such as the BBC iPlayer. If the file or stream plays satisfactorily then the audio is apparently working.

Given that an FCDPP performs correctly on a test installation of Ubuntu 18.04, as well as 14.04, then suspicion falls on option b), some fault with the installation of GQRX or an adjunct.

Solution

If the suspicion above is correct—which it may well not be—then the simplest solution would be a fresh installation of Ubuntu, followed by a careful installation of GQRX. If the problem is a), then the solution will depend on specific circumstances, and similarly for c).

Commentary

With the circumstances as described, it is very difficult to diagnose remotely. Having spent £XXX to acquire an i7 system, the temptation to spend £23 or so on a nice new Nooelec RTL-SDR dongle with an SMA connector would be hard to resist. Not only would it be a good substitution to explore possibilities a) and b), but, as and when things have been sorted out, it is available for subsequent use. (Note: on 18.04 full RTL-SDR support is baked in to the installation of GQRX and GNU Radio, pulled in as a dependency. There is no need to edit anything, either blacklist or udev rules.)

73

Robin, G8DQX

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 12:05:05 PM2/8/19
to Gqrx SDR
Robin,

thank you for responding. On the Ubuntu 14.04 i5 machine, the FCDPP seems to run fine. It decoded Radio Sheffield fine, just on the bit of signal from using my finger stuck in the aerial socket. I feel confident about the FCDPP.

We are thinking along the same lines regarding QTHID, which I had installed some weeks ago. On the 18.04 i7 machine, QTHID (I don't recall the version) ran & said it recognised the FCDPP was active. If I unplug the FCDPP then it doesn't recognise it, so something makes a bit of sense. I removed QTHID yesterday in case it was getting in the way & then removed & re-installed GQRX. The stream of a0's still occurs, but I have noticed the No Audio FTT messages seem to have gone away. I'm not sure when they went away; it is hard to spot them in the stream of a0's.

With other applications, iPlayer etc., sound works fine.

The following seems to indicate that it has recognised the FCDPP & is talking to it:
Using FUNcube Dongle V2.0 (hw:1)
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio source arch: alsa
Opened: hw:1
Dongle successfully initialized
Result of Action :+++++
FCDAPP 20.03
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
If gain set to: 15
IQ DCR samp_rate: 192000
IQ DCR alpha: 5.20831e-06
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 192000
New antenna selected: "RX"
The above happens in both attempts.

In the first attempt, the one without the core dump, it sets New FFT rate: 25 Hz, five times to the same value: 25 Hz.

I've tried the FCDPP in each of the four USB slots on the front of the PC box. I've removed all USB devices except the mouse & keyboard. I've tried lower FTT rates. None of this made any difference.

The i7 PC seems to have several USB buses. Maybe the addressing is assuming a single bus? Might the software be inputing & outouting to the same device & disappearing up its own whatsit?

I'm still scratching my head here.

I have borrowed an RTL dongle. I'll see what happens!

Thank you for your analysis.

73 Graham

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 1:53:49 PM2/8/19
to Gqrx SDR

Curiouser & curiouser...

First I tried the RTL-dongle on the 14.04, i5 machine & GQRX found it and decoded Radio Sheffield fine. So bothe the RTL and FCDPP work on the i5, plugged into what is marked as a USB3 socket.

Then I tried the RTL dongle on the 18.04 i7 PC, plugged into the exact same USB port that I had used the FCDPP in. This worked too & happily decoded Radio Sheffield. I got audio output!

So lots of things are working on the i7. But my FCD is not working on the i7 PC. Just guessing, but maybe the result of the volk optimisation is that a different kernal is being pulled in for the FCD? Something like that? I don't understand how this GNUradio stuff works.

The only wobble I noticed with the RTL dongle was:
Gtk-Message: 18:24:35.583: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

Whatever that means!

I'll have another go at it next week.

73
Graham

Terminal showed:

[...]

Detached kernel driver
Found Elonics E4000 tuner
Reattached kernel driver
getDeviceList : Available input devices:
   "Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000004"

   "PlutoSDR"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"
   "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"
   "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"
   "hw:HDA Intel PCH,0"
   "hw:HDA Intel PCH,2"
   "hw:SAA7134,0"
   "default"
   "Generic RTL2832U OEM :: 00000004"

   "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
   "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"
   "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
Configuration file: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
Crash guard triggered!

Launching I/O device editor
firstTimeConfig
CIoConfig : Available output devices:
    0 : "Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo"
New input device selected: 8
  Label: "Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000004"
  Devstr: "rtl=0"

saveConfig
Configuration file: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd plutosdr miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000004
Detached kernel driver
Found Elonics E4000 tuner
IQ DCR samp_rate: 1.024e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 9.76562e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 1.024e+06

New antenna selected: "RX"
********************
Gain name: "LNA"
      min: -1
      max: 42
     step: 2.5
Gain name: "IF"
      min: 3
      max: 56

     step: 1
********************
No change in output device:
  old:
  new:
IQ DCR samp_rate: 1.8e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 5.55555e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 1.024e+06 -> 1.8e+06
Requested sample rate: 1800000
Actual sample rate   : "1800000.000000"

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
New mode index: 0
Filter preset for mode 0 LO: 0 HI: 0
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New mode index: 5
getFilterPreset : Invalid preset: 3
FM demod gain: 0.509296
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
Filter preset for mode 5 LO: -80000 HI: 80000
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-80000   HI:80000 TW:32000   Taps: 19
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
Gtk-Message: 18:22:06.367: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
File to save: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/rtl-dongle.conf"
saveSettings *** FIXME_ SQL on/off

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Saving configuration to: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/rtl-dongle.conf"
Configuration file: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/rtl-dongle.conf"
No change in input device:
  old: rtl=0
  new: rtl=0
New antenna selected: ""

New antenna selected: "RX"
********************
Gain name: "LNA"
      min: -1
      max: 42
     step: 2.5
Gain name: "IF"
      min: 3
      max: 56

     step: 1
********************
No change in output device:
  old:
  new:
IQ DCR samp_rate: 1.8e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 5.55555e-07
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
Requested sample rate: 1800000
Actual sample rate   : "1800000.000000"

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
New mode index: 5
getFilterPreset : Invalid preset: 3
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
Filter preset for mode 5 LO: -80000 HI: 80000
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-80000   HI:80000 TW:32000   Taps: 19

setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-80000   HI:80000 TW:32000   Taps: 19
"Spectrum zoom: 0.9x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.8x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.8x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.7x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.6x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.6x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.4x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.4x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.4x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.4x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.4x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.6x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.5x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.6x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.7x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.7x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.8x"
"Spectrum zoom: 0.9x"
Gtk-Message: 18:24:35.583: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
File to save: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/rtl-dongle.conf"
saveSettings *** FIXME_ SQL on/off

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Saving configuration to: "/home/gray/.config/gqrx/rtl-dongle.conf"
New file is equal to old file => SYNCING...
saveSettings *** FIXME_ SQL on/off

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Reattached kernel driver

Richard Bown

Feb 8, 2019, 2:19:25 PM2/8/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Robin, Graham

I wonder if it might be worthwhile trying building the GR-FCD libs
there are some very subtle differences between intel and amd processors.
Ubuntu 64 bit lib etc are always labelled as amd64, which is often preferred by linux users.
It shouldn't make any difference, lovely word "shouldn't"
gqrx will probably need to be built from source code so the lib is found

just an idea

Richard

g33t...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 6:48:53 AM2/28/19
to Gqrx SDR

On Friday, 8 February 2019 19:19:25 UTC, Richard Bown wrote:
Robin, Graham

I wonder if it might be worthwhile trying building the GR-FCD libs
there are some very subtle differences between intel and amd processors.
Ubuntu 64 bit lib etc are always labelled as amd64, which is often preferred by linux users.
It shouldn't make any difference, lovely word "shouldn't"
gqrx will probably need to be built from source code so the lib is found

just an idea

Richard

Richard,

I've had enough of computer grief for the time being, so I've set aside the FQDPP and bought an RTL dongle from cosycave.co.uk for the i7+Ubuntu18.04  PC. The RTL dongle works fine with GQRX.

So I have not found the reason for the FQDPP not working with the i7/Ubuntu 18.04 configuration, but I have something that works.

Graham

Richard Bown

Feb 28, 2019, 8:22:42 AM2/28/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Graham
If you would like to pass it to Barry, he could pass it to me at the Cardiff RT
and I an see if I can get it running on the machines here.
Cant promise how long it will take me to to it, but there are a couple of others on the list with funcube dongles having problems.
So I might be able to find the problem

73 richard g8jvm

EI6IF

Aug 9, 2019, 9:42:03 PM8/9/19
to Gqrx SDR
Has there been any progress on the FCDPP issue? I am seeing the same problem on linux Mint 19 XFCE. Linux Mint 19 is built on the Ubuntu 18.04 package base.

However by reverting from my current 5.0.0-20-generic kernel to 4.4.0-34-generic the FCDPP did work with GQRX and also with Cubic SDR. The first time I tried with the old kernel the FCDPP worked first time. On subsequent tries I had to swap between different USB ports until it finally worked - usually i would just swap back and forth between two ports. The port swapping procedure was something i used to do back in the days of Mint 17 but with the difference that GQRX "remembered" the FCDPP after the laptop was resumed, with Mint 19 it does not, so it take 5-10 minutes of port swapping to get running again.

I did try newer kernels but 4.4.0-34-generic was the only one on my system that I got working with the FCDPP. RTL dongle works fine with all kernels versions.

This seem to be related to the usb 1.1 linux driver vs hardware problem as discussed in this and other threads : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gqrx/8doopw1hXQw/LmkEraMZBQAJ

For the record my system

~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: den-ThinkPad-T520 Kernel: 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 424329G v: ThinkPad T520 serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 424329G serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: 8AET49WW (1.29 ) date: 07/11/2011
Battery    BAT0: charge: 40.5 Wh 100.0% condition: 40.5/56.2 Wh (72%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1302 MHz 2: 1284 MHz 3: 1399 MHz
           4: 1367 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280...@60.02hz, 1680...@60.39hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.2
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
           driver: e1000e
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: f0:de:f1:89:36:48
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 08:11:96:16:03:44
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (56.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK3261GS size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 290G used: 165G (60%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2853
Info:      Processes: 204 Uptime: 2:07 Memory: 1961.8/3828.5MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

EI6IF

Aug 9, 2019, 9:45:51 PM8/9/19
to Gqrx SDR

Also tried Xubuntu 18.04 64 and 32 bits versions on a live usb with the same failure to run the FCDPP

Thomas D. Dean

Aug 9, 2019, 10:34:57 PM8/9/19
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On 8/9/19 6:42 PM, EI6IF wrote:
> Has there been any progress on the FCDPP issue? I am seeing the same
> problem on linux Mint 19 XFCE. Linux Mint 19 is built on the Ubuntu
> 18.04 package base.

<snip>

I have gqrx from the Ubuntu package.

From gqrx help -> about
This is Gqrx 2.11.5
This program uses Qt version 5.9.5.

Meerkat> uname -a
Linux Meerkat 5.0.0-23-generic #24~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 29
16:12:28 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Meerkat> lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

Meerkat> dpkg -l gqrx-sdr

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-===================-==============-==============-===========================================
ii gqrx-sdr 2.11.5-gqrx1~b amd64 Software defined
radio receiver

Tom Dean

EI6IF

Aug 10, 2019, 9:05:27 PM8/10/19
to Gqrx SDR

Because of the "not enough bandwidth" message in dsemg output I tried the reduced bandwidth firmware for the FCDPP.

The 96KHz firmware gave the aO output but GQRX did start with the 48KHz firmware. However the audio was stuttering badly and the frequency axis on the waterfall was not correct. This was on Mint 19/5.0.0-20-generic.

The discussion in https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91 suggests my results should have been better.

Now sure now if there is anything else worth trying!

Denis

EI6IF

Aug 10, 2019, 9:20:15 PM8/10/19
to Gqrx SDR
Oops typo dmesg not dsemg

EI6IF

Aug 12, 2019, 3:45:07 PM8/12/19
to Gqrx SDR
I got my FCDPP working correctly on Quisk with Mint 19/5.0.0-20-generic with the 48KHz firmware loaded on the FCDPP. All I had to do was edit the sample rate in the qusk conf file in the home directory.

Changing the "Input rate" panel on GQRX from 192000 to 48000 seems to have no effect. Audio is still stuttering and 2.5 KHz wide SSB signals display as 10KHz wide etc on the FFT display. Is this the only way to change the input sample rate in GQRX?

$ gqrx

linux; GNU C++ version 7.3.0; Boost_106501; UHD_003.010.003.000-0-unknown

Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd plutosdr miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
FM demod gain: 3.05577
Resampling audio 96000 -> 48000
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: N/A
BookmarksFile is /home/den/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv

getDeviceList : Available input devices:
   "FUNcube Dongle V2.0"
   "PlutoSDR"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"
   "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"
   "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"
   "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"
   "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
   "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"
   "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
Configuration file: "/home/den/.config/gqrx/default.conf"

[...]

Requested sample rate: 48000
Actual sample rate   : "192000.000000"

New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
Set Frequency to: 150000 Hz, corrected to: 150000 Hz
If gain set to: 15
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
 Lna gain enabled
 Mixer gain enabled
If gain set to: 15
New mode index: 2
Filter preset for mode 2 LO: -5000 HI: 5000

Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Set Frequency to: 7.074e+06 Hz, corrected to: 7074000 Hz

Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz

Alexandru Csete

Aug 12, 2019, 3:59:44 PM8/12/19
to Gqrx
The option to enter arbitrary sample rates is present because some
devices support many different rates and it doesn't make sense to list
them all. So, the user should be allowed to enter anything. However,
the SDR driver backend will still validate the sample rate and
override it if it thinks that the rate is invalid and this is probably
what happens here. The backend does not support anything else than the
standard rate.

Note that the hardware interfacing is done using external libraries
and issues can not be fixed in gqrx. So, the answer your initial
question "Has there been any progress on the FCDPP issue?" is "No,
not in gqrx itself" ;-)

Alex

EI6IF

Aug 13, 2019, 6:00:22 AM8/13/19
to Gqrx SDR

On Monday, 12 August 2019 20:59:44 UTC+1, Alexandru Csete wrote:
The option to enter arbitrary sample rates is present because some
devices support many different rates and it doesn't make sense to list
them all. So, the user should be allowed to enter anything. However,
the SDR driver backend will still validate the sample rate and
override it if it thinks that the rate is invalid and this is probably
what happens here. The backend does not support anything else than the
standard rate.

Note that the hardware interfacing is done using external libraries
and issues can not be fixed in gqrx. So, the answer your initial
question "Has there been any progress on the FCDPP issue?"  is "No,
not in gqrx itself" ;-)

documentation:

This block wraps the Funcube Dongle Pro+ USB alsa audio input and the USB control interface \
into one convenient GNU Radio source block.
The sample rate is fixed at 192 ksps.
The sound device is taken from the device_name. This should be the alsa device name, like \
hw:1 or plughw:1,0.
If the device name is empty or invalid the device will beautodetected\
by looking into /proc/asound/cards .
The frequency is expressed in Unit Hz, that means\
Unit = 1 Hz, Unit = 1000 Khz
The LNA can be switched on and off.
The mixer gain can be switched on and off.
The if gain can be set between 0 and 59 ( integer values) .
file_format: 1

So issues with the Linux kernel can make the FCDPP difficult to use and this has got worse in more recent kernel/ distro changes and
GQRX is at the mercy of external libraries limitations when trying to implement kernel issue workarounds!

Last night I was able to use the FCDPP as an input audio source to JTDX which was very useful because of the wide and flat audio spectrum compared to my HF transceiver. Qthid was used to control the FCDPP but I miss the waterfall point and click transceiver control that I had with GQRX!

I very recently got a Raspberry PI4 but there seems to be problems at the moment that are not present on the PI3 as a user reported here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=248571&p=1518011&hilit=funcube#p1518011

Alex, as an aside, I remember you expressing somewhere a desire, maybe even an intent, to develop and self contained SDR app that did not have the dependencies of GQRX. Did that ever make it off the wish list?

Denis

Alexandru Csete

Aug 13, 2019, 8:27:08 AM8/13/19
to Gqrx
> Alex, as an aside, I remember you expressing somewhere a desire, maybe even an intent, to develop and self contained SDR app that did not have the dependencies of GQRX. Did that ever make it off the wish list?

Not, it's still a work in progress.