Gqrx on Mac OS X Mavericks

monte freeman

Jul 30, 2015, 1:58:01 AM7/30/15
to Gqrx SDR
I would like to talk with anyone who is using the Gqrc code on a Mac.

I used Macports and installed the code (version 20150518).

Using information I found in the supported hardware section of the wiki, I ordered a device from Amazon.

The case looks like the attachment "Usb-sdr.jpeg" attached (hopefully) to this message.

Voiding the warranty and opening the case, I took a picture of the chip. It's the "Rtl2832.jpeg" file attached.

Running 'lsusb' with the device in a USB port, it shows up to the OS as:

Bus 038 Device 002: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838UHIDIR  Serial: 00000001

According to the table in the wiki, that appears to cross to:

The following devices are known to work fine with RTLSDR software:
VIDPIDtunerdevice name

0x0bda 0x2838 E4000 ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle

The Gqrx software does detect the dongle. But the only signals I can tune in and hear are local FM broadcast stations, and the NOAA weather radio transmitter at 162.55Mhz.

I'm in the metro Atlanta Georgia, USA area. Tucker, between Decatur and Stone Mountain on the East/North-East part of the city.

Is there anyone else who is using Gqrx running OSX on a Mac (I've tried both my Intel MacBook Pro and my Intel Mac mini).

I'd like to hear from people who can pick up considerably more signals than what I can. Maybe find out what specific RTL hardware you have.
If it's convenient; maybe meet one afternoon/evening somewhere with my MBP, my RTL hardware, your RTL hardware; and see if your RTL hardware performs any differently (hopefully better) than mine does on my Mac. Or put my RTL hardware in your Mac and see if it performs the same or different than it does in my Mac.

Several videos and descriptions I've seen in YouTube videos; point to people who appear to have the same hardware as I have, receiving far, far more signals than I am capable of receiving.

Even though the RTL dongle I purchased seemed to be compatible, perhaps this one is defective or slightly different in some way and I need to get a different one.

Anyone on this list in the metro Atlanta Georgia area who would be willing to spend a couple of hours with me trying to narrow down where my problem may be?

Thanks,

 Monte Freeman - KC4GPW
 mon...@gmail.com

Usb-sdr .jpeg
Rtl2832.jpeg

Robin Gape

Jul 30, 2015, 7:41:38 AM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Monte,

you've told us a lot about the dongle—which seems to be working—but nothing about the aerial (antenna to you) that you're trying to receive with. Given that you can hear something, then the issues are most likely with:
a) the aerial in use, or

b) RF signal overload in your specific neighbourhood (filtering may help with this)
HTH

73,

Robin, G8DQX

Michael Dickens

Jul 30, 2015, 8:13:48 AM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'll second Robin's notes. I've never had to use a filter, but I know of folks who do because of too much RF power. I don't live near you, but instead somewhat outside Chicago. I have multiple different SDR hardwares for applications, testing, and evaluation, including some RTL types. When I don't use an antenna (aerial), the reception is horrid (for any of them). I can just barely receive only our local (college) FM station because it broadcasts from maybe 500 meters away from my home. Otherwise, none of the devices receive anything of any consequence. Adding an antenna (even an untwisted paper clip), and I can receive from the college station 30+ miles away; sometimes even from downtown Chicago if the weather is right and with the correct antenna. If you already are using an antenna, maybe it's not well connected? Hope this helps! - MLD

Monte Freeman

Jul 30, 2015, 10:20:59 AM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I completely left out anything about antennas. It was late when I posted, and I was tired. Apologies.

I've tried the antenna that came with the device. I have multiple different antennas for various ham radio bands (frequencies). I've tried  all of them (long wire, inverted V, dipole, discone, etc). Even just (as one person suggested ) a straightened out paper clip.

Changing the antenna changes the signal strength and clarity of the broadcasts I can receive, but does nothing for increasing the number of things I can hear.
For example. The NOAA weather station on 162.55Mhz is on top of Stone Mountain.
A few feet from that transmitter, is also one of the local amateur radio VHF repeaters at 146.760Mhz.

I can hear the NOAA station on the SDR dongle, and on my 2m/70cm HT. I can use the "rubber duckie" antenna on the HT, (which have somewhat of a reputation for being poor antennas for the most part) with it laying on it side on the couch and still hear the VHF repeater; but I can't hear the repeater on the SDR dongle, no matter what antenna (internal to the house, in the attic, or mounted outside on a tower) is connected to it.

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for not including the antenna information originally.

 -Monte
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gqrx SDR" group.

Alexandru Csete

Jul 30, 2015, 3:35:23 PM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Monte,

You can also try adjusting the gain settings to see if it makes any difference.

I have experienced very mixed results with these devices and do not use them for anything serious. There is just too much variation in production quality and performance. I have had best results with the more recent devices with R820T and R820T2 tuners.

Alex

Monte Freeman

Jul 30, 2015, 3:52:50 PM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the gain suggestions.
I've played with all the software adjustments available in the gqrx gui.

It just appears to be deaf.

This particular dongle has both the RTL2832U  and an R820T chip on it.

I can't find a good position/angle to take a picture of the R820T chip so that the printing on it shows up on for the camera.

Is it possible that gqrx needs to be compiled differently to enable support for the R820T chip?

-Monte

Alexandru Csete

Jul 30, 2015, 4:09:09 PM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Monte Freeman <mon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible that gqrx needs to be compiled differently to enable support for the R820T chip?

No, the same build supports all known tuners, so there is nothing there.

Alex

Monte Freeman

Jul 30, 2015, 4:25:05 PM7/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
In that case, I think I'm back to one part of my original post; hoping to find someone else in the metro Atlanta area who is using the gqrx software, to see if my hardware performs the same with a different computer - and someone else's SDR hardware works better in my computer.

If I need to buy a different RTL/SDR dongle; I'm ok with that, but I'd kind of like some way of knowing I'm not getting another one exactly like the one I have if there is a design "flaw" with this specific vendor's hardware.

I can't afford any of the professional gear at the moment. This is just a hobby for me presently.

-Monte

jmly...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2015, 3:32:12 PM7/31/15
to Gqrx SDR, mon...@gmail.com
I bought the Rafael Micro R820T with Realtek RTL2832U as shown in the Nuts & Volts article from July 2015. I have about 60 feet of stranded wire stapled to the open beams in my ceiling. I clamped the end of the wire onto the supplied whip by wrapping it around the whip threads and tightening it down(bought the wrong BNC adapter). So far I can pick up WFM broadcast, CB AM & SSB, Orlando Approach Control AM, 2m and 70cm FM repeaters and a 2m APRS repeater. I've started looking at pipeing the audio to fldigi via Pulse Audio.

I am getting periodic stuttering, which sometimes clears with multiple DSP off/on cycles or restart and program lockups when changing modes which requires a restart.

James, KE4MIQ
Ubuntu 14.04LTS, HP 15 AMD64 Quadcore