New member intro

Jeff Dantzler

Oct 21, 2014, 8:25:44 PM10/21/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Just got my nooelec rtl-sdr dongle and am using kali linux 1.09
gqrx works perfectly in this distro.

I'm mainly interested in learning to use this receiver for more than just FM and also constructing a better antenna(s).

Alexandru Csete

Oct 22, 2014, 11:45:23 AM10/22/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the group!

Although the rtl-sdr dongles do not have top performance, they are
being successfully used for a wide range of interesting applications.
People are welcome to discuss all such topics here, even if they are
not directly related to gqrx.

Alex

grege...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 12:14:29 PM10/23/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Your rtl dongle covers a very wide frequency range from below the VHF band up through UHF.  For a single, omnidirectional antenna, I would suggest that you try a "Discone" scanner antenna as sold by radio shack #20-043 and by most or all other scanner and ham radio stores.  If you want to try making your own directional antennas for specific bands, Google "cheap yagi" and check out the website of Kent Britian, WA5VJB, for designs of homemade wire and wood beam antennas.  Either way, you will need an adapter for the little MCX antenna connector on the rtl.  Nooelec sells these.

Greg Ella
Ft. Collins, CO