Won't start after Instalation,

Dennis Kerrisk

Jan 4, 2018, 1:46:02 PM1/4/18
to Gqrx SDR
I am running Ubunto 18.04, and I am having this issue after starting it. Can anyone help me get gqrx running?

linux; GNU C++ version 7.2.0; Boost_106501; UHD_003.010.002.000-0-unknown

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyqt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Could not connect to any X display.

Dennis

Dennis Kerrisk

Jan 5, 2018, 8:10:46 AM1/5/18
to Gqrx SDR
Here is the kernel information. Is there anything else that would help diagnose this?

root@dennisHome:~# uname -a
Linux dennisHome 4.14.11 #1 SMP Thu Jan 4 10:26:48 MST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Dennis

Robin Gape

Jan 5, 2018, 9:55:38 AM1/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Dennis,

if your 2nd email is to be believed, you are indeed using Ubuntu 18.04, which will be 18.04α.

1) How did you attempt to install GQRX? What hardware platform is in use?

2) If you wish to run GQRX under Ubuntu, why not run Ubuntu 16.04, which is the most recent LTS (long term support) version?

Alpha versions of operating systems (OSes) are great fun to play with, but not to be relied upon for anything that matters to one. An alpha install is really a trash install, since one can not rely upon the underlying structure not to change by the time the OS version gets to release.

3) The error message seems to indicate that one is attempting to run GQRX as root, rather than as a normal user. [For stuff like this, your favourite search engine is your friend!]

Cheers,

Robin, G8DQX

Dennis Kerrisk

Jan 5, 2018, 11:49:39 AM1/5/18
to Gqrx SDR

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 7:55:38 AM UTC-7, Robin, G8DQX wrote:

Dennis,

if your 2nd email is to be believed, you are indeed using Ubuntu 18.04, which will be 18.04α.

1) How did you attempt to install GQRX? What hardware platform is in use?

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:bladerf/bladerf
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ettusresearch/uhd
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/gnuradio
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gqrx/gqrx-sdr
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

on an x86 machine.

2) If you wish to run GQRX under Ubuntu, why not run Ubuntu 16.04, which is the most recent LTS (long term support) version?

because I don't have a 16.04 machine available.

3) The error message seems to indicate that one is attempting to run GQRX as root, rather than as a normal user. [For stuff like this, your favourite search engine is your friend!]

I get the same error as root or as me.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 5, 2018, 1:26:38 PM1/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The only situation where I can imagine this error to happen is when
somebody is trying to execute a GUI application over a remote ssh
connection. But I assume that is not the case, because if it was, you
would have mentioned that "little detail" in your mail.

In any case, this error is unlikely to have anything to do with gqrx,
surely you get the same error when trying to run other GUI
applications also?

Alex

Alexander Fasching

Jan 5, 2018, 1:33:58 PM1/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hasn't Ubuntu switched from X to Wayland?

If I try to run Gqrx in Wayland, I get the following error:
> qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
> Could not connect to any X display

Maybe that's a problem, although I doubt that something that could
potentially break all Qt applications would make it into a release.
AFAIK there are ways to run X in Wayland and I'd assume that this is
enabled by default in Ubuntu.

Alexander Fasching

Jan 5, 2018, 2:03:16 PM1/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM and installed Gqrx according to
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

There are some errors, because some ppa's are not available for 18.04,
but Gqrx starts fine.

Robin Gape

Jan 5, 2018, 8:26:49 PM1/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Dennis,

1) The PPAs that you are using will not yet have packages for Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)

2) Unless you wish to compile GQRX from source—which is a lovely learning experience in itself—you are far better off installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the host machine, if running GQRX is your prime aim.

If the machine is yours, then you may wish to establish 2 or more partitions for OSes, should you really wish to run a pre-release version of Ubuntu.

If the machine belongs to someone else, then one might either talk them in to installing 16.04, or yourself install 16.04 to a bootable USB device.

If you're not very familiar with installing Ubuntu, the process is very painless these days, though one does need to keep one's wits about one! You'll waste far less time installing 16.04, and then installing GQRX on top of it. As you have discovered the hard way, the GQRX PPAs do not yet formally support Ubuntu 18.04, which is itself not yet stable.

Running on 16.04 reduces the number of things to be debugged.

3) Another possibility for the display problem is somewhere in Wayland, unless you have switched to the native X-server option.

4) Although Alex Fasching installed 18.04 in a VM, that VM will be using a virtual display, and be running on top of a well debugged OS.

Of course, "You pays your money and you takes your choice". The rest of it is up to you!

Cheers,

Robin, G8DQX

Alexandru Csete

Jan 6, 2018, 4:58:06 AM1/6/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:03 PM, Alexander Fasching
<faschi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM and installed Gqrx according to
> http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu
>
> There are some errors, because some ppa's are not available for 18.04, but
> Gqrx starts fine.

Thanks for testing. Yeah, as Robin pointed out, gqrx ppa does not have
packages for bionic. Maybe I will build for it.

Alex

Dennis Kerrisk

Jan 6, 2018, 2:45:18 PM1/6/18
to Gqrx SDR
I just tried a 16.04 virtual box and it is working except that I cannot see my RTL2838 dongle in Virtual box. I guess it is back to the drawing board,.

Dennis

Alexander Fasching

Jan 6, 2018, 2:52:27 PM1/6/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
You have to enable USB-passthrough for the device.
See the attached screenshot for that. I wouldn't expect it working very
well though.

Do other GUI applications, specifically Qt applications, work?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/ba9d714c-e217-4ae7-9870-1896f8beaf15%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/ba9d714c-e217-4ae7-9870-1896f8beaf15%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Screenshot_2018-01-06_20-46-41.png

Dennis Kerrisk

Jan 6, 2018, 3:56:22 PM1/6/18
to Gqrx SDR
The device is not even seen at all. I am looking into why.

Dennis

Luc Van Craen

Jan 25, 2018, 7:34:28 PM1/25/18
to Gqrx SDR

Op zaterdag 6 januari 2018 02:26:49 UTC+1 schreef Robin, G8DQX:
I have the same problem as Dennis. I am working with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and a notebook HP 8730W
Everything installed fine until I wanted to run GQRX: I get the same error:
     QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display

I tried it as user and as root.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Luc