Keyboard locks up when running gqrx

Michael Thursby

Nov 19, 2013, 5:25:01 PM11/19/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Just recently i have noticed that there is no response from the keyboard on my Macbook Pro running OSX when I am running gqrx.  I am sure I am doing something silly to cause this problems as I do not remember it having this problem before.  Has anyone else seen this problem, and what is the cure.
73's
Mike
K4ZEA

Kevin Reid

Nov 19, 2013, 5:37:56 PM11/19/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 19, 2013, at 14:25, Michael Thursby <mhth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just recently i have noticed that there is no response from the keyboard on my Macbook Pro running OSX when I am running gqrx. I am sure I am doing something silly to cause this problems as I do not remember it having this problem before. Has anyone else seen this problem, and what is the cure.

I used to see a problem where my (internal) keyboard and trackpad would stop working until a few seconds after the next time I used them, whenever I started or stopped using *any* RTL-SDR program, not just Gqrx. I suspect it was doing something funny to the USB bus to reset the device.

This seems to have gone away lately, but I didn't track what software upgrade might have fixed it. Current versions:
OS X 10.8.5
gnuradio 3.7.2
gr-osmosdr v0.1.0-44-g0d10f5e9

--
Kevin Reid <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>

Darren Long

Nov 19, 2013, 5:46:31 PM11/19/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. I've experienced several USB host controller crashes on Linux in
the past month (which I've never seen before), most notably when I was
fiddling with gr-fosphor, the day it was announced. That said, this was
on a new haswell machine that's been a bit quirky in some other respects
(not to mention the buggy nvidia drivers) so I haven't really been sure
where to point the finger.

At the time, I was mucking around with a FCD-Pro, an FCD-Pro+, a USRP
B100 and a HackRF. It seemed to me to be the FCD's that were causing
the USB host-controller to keel over.

I also haven't seen a re-occurence of this for a while, but then my SDR
antics have been fairly restrained recently and I suppose that an update
might have fixed the issue.

Darren

Alexandru Csete

Nov 19, 2013, 5:57:49 PM11/19/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have OS X 10.7.5 running on a Macbook pro from 2010 and Gqrx as
bundled for 2.2.0. Although gqrx is a little slow to start, it works
fine once started I can use the keyboard to change the frequency etc.

Alex

Michael Thursby

Nov 20, 2013, 6:38:53 AM11/20/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
All,
further information, I have OSX 10.0(13A603) with 8 GB of memory.  The keyboard stops working after a few minutes and does not correct itself.  Further I have to reset the computer after removing the dongle to regain keyboard function.  I am sure as Kevin pointed out it is a USB controller problem.  The software is very nice and I like all of the functions available and you can still navigate with the mouse, just can't enter any information via the keyboard.  Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
K4ZEA

Michael Thursby

Nov 20, 2013, 6:39:29 AM11/20/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Correction osx 10.9...

Alexandru Csete

Nov 20, 2013, 6:48:37 AM11/20/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Michael Thursby <mhth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correction osx 10.9...

Oh, but the bundled gnuradio is not supposed to work on that version
at all. At least that's what I understand from the posts on the
mailing list. I think there has been some progress in the macport
version resolving the issue but it is extremely unlikely that *I* will
be able to provide an app bundle that will work on OSX 10.9.

Alex

Michael Thursby

Nov 21, 2013, 6:17:33 PM11/21/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I wondered if the source code for the app is available, I have some experience with coding and would like to learn more about how this app works, maybe i could make some contribution to the existing code.  I have a feeling that the mac interface may be beyond me but maybe some of the other is not.  Please let me know what code is available if any?

Mike
K4ZEA

Alexandru Csete

Nov 21, 2013, 6:38:54 PM11/21/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Michael Thursby <mhth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wondered if the source code for the app is available, I have some
> experience with coding and would like to learn more about how this app
> works, maybe i could make some contribution to the existing code. I have a
> feeling that the mac interface may be beyond me but maybe some of the other
> is not. Please let me know what code is available if any?

Where did you get the software since you have to ask about this???

Alex

Keith Laaks

Dec 29, 2013, 8:38:03 AM12/29/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I am having the same problem on my Maverics Macbook Pro.
Till now I have been using an older version which I grabbed from:  http://eliasoenal.com/2012/09/30/osx-port-of-the-awesome-gqrx-sdr-software/
This version worked fine an no problems with the locking of the keyboard or trackpad.
I upgraded today using the 'gqrx-2.2.0.dmg' image - very quickly discovered the keyboard/trackpad going 'offline'.
Fiddling around I can get it to work, sometimes, but this is a frequent issue.
So for now I am switching back to the older version.
I notice some rtl apps as part of the 2.2 dmg - which I also have in my /usr/local/bin from building and installing the driver from source earlier. I wonder if this could be causing the issue..

73s.
Keith
ZS6TW

Mike Thursby

Dec 29, 2013, 1:18:00 PM12/29/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Keith I will probably back off to the older version
Mike
K4ZEA

Sent from my iPhone

Jim B.

Jan 6, 2014, 3:49:31 PM1/6/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike
I have this problem (OS 10.9.1, gqrx latest binary) but can get it around it using an external USB mouse.
Jim

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:25:01 PM UTC-5, Michael Thursby wrote:
Message has been deleted