Re: RPi

David Taylor

Dec 18, 2020, 9:28:39 AM12/18/20
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On 17/12/2020 16:46, Richard Bown wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I very much Doubt that you will have much success with GQRX using RPi OS
>
> personally I cant understand why so many think the only OS that works on
> a Raspberry Pi is PI OS.
>
> Linux has many flavours,
>
> I use Linux Mint and Ubuntu , the later on HardkerneL Odroid SBcs , much
> much better than RPi.
>
> FACT , you have a 64 bit SBC there, WHY use a 32 bit OS, as thats what
> RPI OS is ??????
>
> Also if you want to use Airspy or RSP devices I have written debs for
> them, but they WILL NOT run of Rasp OS
>
> So if you want to use them you will have  to learn to compile, and if
> you have come from windows , that is NOT an easy
>
> thing to learn , especially as you will need to build for RSP four
> applications, as they need libraries from each to build for RSP.
>
> The help files I wrote for getting RSP1a working with GQRX will port to
> Ubuntu easily , they will not with raspOS.
>
> The file structure on ubuntu is the same as raspOS as the both use the
> debian file manager.
>
> Should wish to persevere with RaspOS I suggest getting at least 5
> bottles of your favourite malt , perhaps some hair restorer,
>
> Where as a change to a modern OS, instead of a stone age wreck you will
> only need one the sip and enjoy as things work nicely
>
> 73 Richard
Thanks for your thoughts, Richard. I do see reports that folk get gqrx
working on an RPi 3B, so the 400 should be man enough. I have compiled
stuff on the RPi (NTP, gpsd for example) so that shouldn't be an issue,
but it isn't an experience I would wish on the new user, getting an RPi
for Christmas!

gqrx is offered as a directly installable package with the RPiOS and
that is what I used. Reading further [the RSGB RPi Explained book] it
appears that further work may be required after installing:

- udev rules
- volk_profile

but it's not clear whether the packaged version does this for you, nor
how the audio change from ALSA to PulseAudio might affect things (I
would like to use the Bluetooth sound).

[Sorry for the direct reply last time, it seems that my change to
Thunderbird hasn't been without issues.]

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-...@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Claus Neumayer

Dec 18, 2020, 10:34:48 AM12/18/20
to Gqrx SDR
Hi David et al., last week I made several tests with gqrx and Raspi OS and at the end I gave up. The problem is ALSA and PulseAudio both do not work together. If you delete Pulseaudio also gqrx is deleted. One option is to install e.g. Ubuntu on Raspi (this will I do in the next future). On the other hand  if you install CubeSDR on Raspi OS there is no problem with sound -  it works.
Cheers Claus

Richard Bown

Dec 18, 2020, 10:50:44 AM12/18/20
to Gqrx SDR
Alsa and Pulseaudio Is a Debian thing , and RaspOS is a debian clown, No
I did not misspell

I build the linux binaries for MSHV, for amd64, ARMHF and two variants
for RPIs running Ubuntu

and here's the proof of what I said

this is the LIB line in the .pro file for the ARMHF variant, its all one
line, and not the use of pulse and alsa  (asound)

LIBS = /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libasound.so
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libudev.so
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libfftw3.so -lpulse-simple -lpulse

and as for taking RSGB books as an authority, its

Richarda bit like Welsh whiskey .

I still consider the best place for a pie is in the oven

--
Best wishes /73
Richard Bown

Email : ric...@g8jvm.com

HTTP : https://www.g8jvm.com

Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: HF + 50-432 MHz + Microwave
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52.6620 N LONG. 2.4696 W
VHF: 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W,
Microwave: 1296MHz 110W, 2320MHz 100W, 3400MHz 15W, 5760MHz 10W & 10368MHz 5W
OS: Linux Mint 20, on a Dell Inspiron 3580 laptop

willie b

Dec 18, 2020, 11:23:54 AM12/18/20
to gq...@googlegroups.com
no problem with gqrx on rpi (some initial Buster probs with the 4-series)

(scroll to bottom of post)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/e94fc9da-0f8e-15a1-f8e2-6fbec92c37f9%40g8jvm.com.

David Taylor

Dec 18, 2020, 11:33:58 AM12/18/20
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On 18/12/2020 15:34, Claus Neumayer wrote:
> Hi David et al., last week I made several tests with gqrx and Raspi OS
> and at the end I gave up. The problem is ALSA and PulseAudio both do not
> work together. If you delete Pulseaudio also gqrx is deleted. One option
> is to install e.g. Ubuntu on Raspi (this will I do in the next future).
> On the other hand  if you install CubeSDR on Raspi OS there is no
> problem with sound -  it works.
> Cheers Claus

Thanks, Claus.

I had hoped that Linux and its implementers had learnt the lesson of
compatibility which has so hampered its progress (from the experience of
others and my own), at least for this project.

I've had much success with the RPi in other projects, so this is rather
a disappointment. Good hardware, powerful enough, but let down by software.

Oh, well.

To Richard, many will use the RSGB book, whether the book is right or
wrong. Being able to give them an informed view may be useful.

Sounds like CubicSDR will be the next project and consign gqrx to the
doesn't [yet] work pile. I had been hoping to play with GRC as well.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Cheers,
David

righthal...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 11:39:16 AM12/18/20
to Gqrx SDR
The problem with the conflict between pulseaudio and alsa is solved by installing and using alsoft-conf.

do a

sudo alsoft-config

and turn off  the pulseaudio backend. The pulseaudio and the alsa audio then will both work.