Install on Ubumtu Mate v16.04.4 (x64)

mgr...@m0ady.org.uk

Mar 15, 2018, 1:51:19 PM3/15/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hello Alex.

Apologies if I have missed a previous but I have searched the archive but nothing came to light.

My OS is Linux Ubuntu Mate v16.04.4  (64 bit).
My hardware is a Funcube Dongle Pro, v1.1.

I installed Gqrx from your instructions given in the web page "install Gqrx SDR on Ubuntu Linux" using apt-get etc. Everything wext ok and Gqrx runs with no problem, except it there is no Funcube dongle entry in the Device drop-down list.

I am puzzled as it what is missing.

I noticed that there is an alternative Linux download of a tar.xz version. Would that be more successful?

Many thanks

Alexandru Csete

Mar 15, 2018, 3:31:16 PM3/15/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
There are known issues with the Funcube Dongle Pro+.

Run gqrx from the terminal to see which messages are printed. I think
there willo be something that indicates what is wrong.

Also, whenever some device specific seems wrong, the thing to do is:
gqrx.dk -> Hardware -> Select your device -> Known issues

See in particular this:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91

Alex

mgr...@m0ady.org.uk

Mar 15, 2018, 4:33:50 PM3/15/18
to Gqrx SDR
My Funcube is just a Pro, not a Pro+

Running it from the command line does show up a few errors. I have attached a log file from the script(1) output.

Martin.
log

Alexandru Csete

Mar 15, 2018, 4:53:11 PM3/15/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It is very strange that it is not working.

Did you plug in your funcube dongle after installing gqrx?
Also, please post the output of:

cat /proc/asound/cards

after you plug in your dongle.

Alex

Simon Kennedy

Mar 15, 2018, 5:50:55 PM3/15/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Those are the same messages I get with my FCD. It is hit and miss whether it works but the USB port used can make a difference.

Try all your USB ports, one of them may turn out to be better.

My FCD is now permanently plugged into a RPi connected to my rig IF output using some Python code I have adapted to provide a panadaptor so not using gqrx.

HTH
Simon.

mgr...@m0ady.org.uk

Mar 16, 2018, 7:04:09 AM3/16/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex

I am almost sure I did not plug in the Funcube before doing the installation. Is the order important?

Here is the output of cat /proc/asound/cards:

 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xe0280000 irq 25
 1 [V00            ]: USB-Audio - FunCube Dongle V0.0
                      Hanlincrest Ltd. FunCube Dongle V0.0 at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1, full speed

Although it says the Funcube is v0.0, the label on the device says v1.1.

Martin

Alexandru Csete

Mar 16, 2018, 8:26:12 AM3/16/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:04 PM, <mgr...@m0ady.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> I am almost sure I did not plug in the Funcube before doing the
> installation. Is the order important?

It matters in the sense that the device needs to be power cycled after
the driver is installed. We have seen cases where people plug in the
dongle, then install the driver, but the driver will not see the
dongle until is it power cycled. This doe not seem to be the case here
though.

> Here is the output of cat /proc/asound/cards:
>
> 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> HDA Intel at 0xe0280000 irq 25
> 1 [V00 ]: USB-Audio - FunCube Dongle V0.0
> Hanlincrest Ltd. FunCube Dongle V0.0 at
> usb-0000:00:1d.0-1, full speed
>
> Although it says the Funcube is v0.0, the label on the device says v1.1.

Interesting. My dongle says:

3 [V10 ]: USB-Audio - FUNcube Dongle V1.0
Hanlincrest Ltd. FUNcube Dongle V1.0 at
usb-0000:00:14.0-4, full speed

And the code does indeed require V1.0 or V1_0 on some platforms.

Perhaps you do not have the latest firmware in your FCD? Is it an old unit?

Alex

mgr...@m0ady.org.uk

Mar 16, 2018, 4:59:55 PM3/16/18
to Gqrx SDR
It must be more than 5 years ago that I bought my FCD so it must be due for a firmware upgrade!!!

A search came up with a doc suggesting that version 18j is current. Please let me know if that is current, and ///iwill upgrade it.

Martin.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 16, 2018, 5:26:53 PM3/16/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes, just follow: http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=313

You probably need to use the windows tool. I am not sure if my Qt
program can do it. Sorry, it's to long ago.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/4d85446e-8dd4-4313-8a08-0d3864df3e5c%40googlegroups.com.

Robin Gape

Mar 16, 2018, 10:16:29 PM3/16/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Martin,

you should be seeing a soundcard listing similar to:

o:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7f34000 irq 31
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f30000 irq 29
 2 [M2496          ]: USB-Audio - Musical Fidelity V-DAC 24/96
                      Musical Fidelity Musical Fidelity V-DAC 24/96 at usb-0000:00:14.0-5, full speed

 3 [V10            ]: USB-Audio - FUNcube Dongle V1.0

                      Hanlincrest Ltd. FUNcube Dongle V1.0 at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, full speed
As Alex indicated, the simplest way, if you have access to a Windows machine, is described at http://www.funcubedongle.com/?p=874.

Like Alex, the last time I touched QTHID was a very long time ago. I do have some notes if you absolutely wish to use Ubuntu, rather than Windows. There are some issues with QTHID, and my recollection is that I used an earlier, more informative, version of QTHID for firmware update.

Caveat Emptor, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

mgr...@m0ady.org.uk

Mar 17, 2018, 4:03:29 PM3/17/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex, Robin and Simon.

I have now upgraded the FCD firmware to 18j  (fortunately I keep a windos netbook for DMR radio programming!).
Gqrx now works as extected.

Thank you so much for all your help)

73 Martin M0ADY.

Robin Gape

Mar 17, 2018, 8:52:42 PM3/17/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Martin,

glad you got it working. Attempting a full Linux solution to the problem, according to my notes of a certain vintage, requires an inordinate familiarity with the Dark Arts. I still have a pair of dongles, one FCD and one FCDPP, which work fine. However, technology has, in general, moved on. That applies both to base cost (for a cheapie RTL-SDR dongle) and to what one gets for one's money (a whole host of high function SDR receivers and transceivers.)

Good luck with your newly resurrected toyreceiver! 73,

Robin, G8DQX