Signal in time domain

Juan Doppler

Feb 23, 2016, 3:51:43 PM2/23/16
to Gqrx SDR

I'm beginning to use this sofware (gqrx 2.5.3 on ubuntu 14.04) and can't figure out a way to visualize (live) the received signal in the time domain.

I'm able to save it as wav to view it later but i would like to see the signal live. Is there a way to do this within the program? Or maybe using matlab/octave?

thank you!

Alexandru Csete

Feb 24, 2016, 3:58:30 PM2/24/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

This feature is not implemented in gqrx so that's why you can't find it. Sorry.

Alex

Juan Doppler

Feb 25, 2016, 8:52:17 AM2/25/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex

Ok, thanks.
I've trying to use the udp streaming but i can't figure out how to receive it on octave/matlab, has anyone been able to do this?

Juan

jmly...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 6:10:21 PM2/25/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Juan:

You could probably build something in Perl to read the UDP stream and feed it to a plotting package, assuming you have documentation for the stream format.

Do some looking on the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network(www.cpan.org) for packages that might already do part of the process. I use a package called GD to draw a simulated o-scope screen with four curve traces. There's probably a package that can read a UDP stream.

James

David Ranch

Feb 25, 2016, 9:48:57 PM2/25/16
to Gqrx SDR

Gqrx can save the demodulated audio via the "REC" button in the lower right AF window.  Obviously, that won't give you the option to see things in real time.  Another possibility might be to use ffserver to receive the UDP packets:

   http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1268

and from there, send the output to STDOUT from where something like Baudline can show the timedomain:

   http://www.baudline.com/oscilloscope.html

--David
KI6ZHD

Juan Doppler

Mar 2, 2016, 6:49:46 PM3/2/16
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you James and David.

I actually got it to work on octave using the udp streaming and a matlab toolbox.

Juan

jmly...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 11:08:49 AM3/3/16
to Gqrx SDR
Juan:

Excellent! Please post the details for the next person who has an interest.

I have a small(20 line) Perl script working that reads, decodes, and prints the UDP data stream. I plan to feed this to my o-scope code when I get time to get back to it.

James

jmly...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2016, 2:43:16 PM3/9/16
to Gqrx SDR
I have a working wxPerl script to display the UDP raw audio stream. See attached output.

It's a little crude. It captures 600 packets and then produces the plot each time a button is pressed. More work to do to produce a continuous update.

Alex: It looks like I'm getting one sample per packet. Is this correct?

James
rawaudio.png

Alexandru Csete

Mar 9, 2016, 2:47:27 PM3/9/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:43 PM, <jmly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex: It looks like I'm getting one sample per packet. Is this correct?

I have no idea since I'm just using the "off the shelf" UDP sink in
gnuradio, but it sounds very wrong.

Alex

jmly...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2016, 3:34:55 PM3/10/16
to Gqrx SDR

Alex:

That's what I thought also. I'll investigate further.

James