Gqrx 2.4-1 won't start on OSX 10.11.1

Gaston Ettedgui (LU5AGQ)

Dec 20, 2015, 8:26:39 AM12/20/15
to Gqrx SDR
Hello everybody.

First I want to thanks Alex for such a great app and specially for make a binary for those who are unable to compile it.

Although I've tried many ways and many config types I'm not able to start Gqrx on my Mac. Everytime try to open it I get this error:

Pro-de-GE:Applications gastonet$ Gqrx.app/Contents/MacOS/gqrx -c /Volumes/RAID/Users/gastonet/Desktop/Untitled.conf
Mac OS; Clang version 7.0.0 (clang-700.1.76); Boost_105900; UHD_003.009.001-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-56-g1f2511dd (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.8.1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using Volk machine: sse4_2_64_orc
 *** alpha: 0.242535
INFO: Audio sink arch: osx
ERROR:

A unique output audio device name matching the string 'built-in' was not found.

The current known output audio device names are:
    Instant On Sound Effects
    MOTU Audio Express

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: audio_osx_sink::setup
Abort trap: 6
Pro-de-GE:Applications gastonet$

Can someone point where can be a problem?

I'm using a RFSpace NetSDR, the sound card (output audio device) should be the MOTU Audio Express and I've tried tons of config options although seems like Gqrx is "ignoring" the config file.

Many thanks in advance.

RemnantMan

Dec 20, 2015, 12:42:40 PM12/20/15
to Gqrx SDR
LU5AGQ de AE1D  I'm using El Capitan 10.11.2 and unable to run Airspy - Do I have to buy Windows 10 machine!!

Michael Dickens

Dec 21, 2015, 1:37:33 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaston Ettedgui (LU5AGQ) - Thanks for the issue info. I just spent a bit of time playing around with the audio interface, and it looks like you might have come upon a bug in either Gqrx or GNU Radio. The best way to work around this issue that I've found is to manually select your desired output audio device in the System Preferences.app Sound panel's output tab. If need be, start up Gqrx with reset on ("Gqrx -r" from the command line), -after- selected the correct audio output device, and just use the default audio device provided in the dialog box.

Alex: It looks like the bug is when the selected audio device is different than the one selected in the System Preferences.app Sound panel's output tab. As I said, I'm not sure if this is a Gqrx or GR issue. I'll test on GR shortly. Here's the Gqrx output for me when it errors out:
{{{
% Gqrx -r
Mac OS; Clang version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81); Boost_105900; UHD_003.010.git-MacPorts-git-4a1cb1f2(20151208)

gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.9rc1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd sdrplay hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using Volk machine: avx_64_mmx_orc
 *** alpha: 0.242535
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio sink arch: osx
gr::log :INFO: audio_osx_sink0 -

Using output audio device 'Mpow Cheetah'.
  ... which is the current default output audio device.
  Changing the default output audio device in the System Preferences will
  result in changing it here, too (with an internal reconfiguration).

BookmarksFile is /Users/mlk/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
Number of audio input devices: 2
Number of audio output devices: 2
get_devices started
mir_sdr_Init: starting hardware initialization
mir_sdr_Init: gR=60dB fs=2.048MHz rf=200.000MHz bw=1.536MHz if=0.000MHz

mir_sdr_usb_USB DLL: Revision 0.1.1

mir_sdr_usb_Init: Timeout expired/failed to establish connection with the device

mir_sdr_2500_Init: mir_sdr_usb_Init() failed
mir_sdr_Init: mir_sdr_2500_Init() Error 1
Device count: 0
get_devices end
Object::connect: No such signal QComboBox::currentTextChanged(QString)
Object::connect:  (sender name:   'inSrCombo')
Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'CIoConfig')
2015-12-21 13:35:29.385 Gqrx[49348:557756] modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.9rc1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd sdrplay hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::invalid_argument: cannot disconnect edge multiply_const_ff0:0->audio_osx_sink0:0, not found
Abort trap: 6

Michael Dickens

Dec 21, 2015, 1:40:36 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi RemnantMan - Airspy is provided via gr-osmosdr, and to the best of my knowledge the Airspy port functions as desired on OS X & is used correctly buy gr-osmosdr. I believe others have used Airspy hardware on OS X; I don't have one for testing purposes. Without more info on what's going on when you try to execute Gqrx and use Airspy, we really can't help you very much. Hope this helps! - MLD

Mike Murphree

Dec 21, 2015, 1:46:03 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I installed the disk image version of gqrx 2.4 and it works fine with the latest OS X and Airspy.  I haven't updated the MacPorts version recently to try it there.

Mike N4MHO

Alexandru Csete

Dec 21, 2015, 2:30:15 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Michael Dickens <m...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Alex: It looks like the bug is when the selected audio device is different
> than the one selected in the System Preferences.app Sound panel's output
> tab. As I said, I'm not sure if this is a Gqrx or GR issue. I'll test on GR
> shortly. Here's the Gqrx output for me when it errors out:

In the gqrx binary I have I can only select "Default" audio output
device and then decide which hardware to use under system preferences.
In system preferences, I can switch between audio devices even while
gqrx is running. As I remember this is the intended behavior, no?

Alex

Gaston Ettedgui

Dec 21, 2015, 3:05:30 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The problem only happens in my Mac Pro, which had MacPorts installed.

The latest Gqrx binary runs perfect on my Macbook Air.

Both running El Capitan.

So, any idea why the audio device problem? The Air uses the default audio device, the Pro uses an external USB card.

73!

Michael Dickens

Dec 21, 2015, 4:08:54 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 02:30 PM, Alexandru Csete wrote:
> In the gqrx binary I have I can only select "Default" audio output
> device and then decide which hardware to use under system preferences.
> In system preferences, I can switch between audio devices even while
> gqrx is running. As I remember this is the intended behavior, no?

Good question.

In my testing with just GR, I find that I can select whichever audio
device I want to from the command-line. It does't matter which is
selected in the System Preferences Sound panel. OS X directs the sound
to any legitimate output audio device, and I can select that device from
the CLI or GRC interface via a specific string.

That said, flow graph execution fails when the audio device selection to
a specific device fails. I believe that the gr-audio-sink throws a C++
exception, which then must be caught by the calling program. For the OS
X output audio device and using Python for scripting, the exception
looks like the following:
[{{
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio sink arch: osx
gr::log :ERROR: audio_osx_sink0 -

A unique output audio device name matching the string 'Inter' was not
found.

The current known output audio device names are:
Mpow Cheetah
Built-in Output

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./dial_tone.py", line 60, in <module>
my_top_block().run()
File "./dial_tone.py", line 54, in __init__
dst = audio.sink(sample_rate, options.audio_output)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/audio/audio_swig.py",
line 221, in make
return _audio_swig.sink_make(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: audio_osx_sink::setup
}}}

The OP's error was:
{{{
ERROR:

A unique output audio device name matching the string 'built-in' was not
found.

The current known output audio device names are:
Instant On Sound Effects
MOTU Audio Express

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type
std::runtime_error: audio_osx_sink::setup
Abort trap: 6
}}}
which implies that the OS X audio output device name was stored
somewhere, and that Gqrx isn't handling the C++ exception property.

Thus, hopefully doing "Gqrx -r" to reset it will work for the OP.

That said, in Gqrx if I select an output audio device that is not the
one select in the System Preferences, then Gqrx errors out in the same
way as the OP found.

Thus, I believe that Gqrx isn't handling the OS X output audio device
selection as robustly as it could. Just a guess right now. - MLD

Michael Dickens

Dec 21, 2015, 4:11:08 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Can you try executing "Gqrx -r" on the command line of the troublesome computer & the select the current output audio device (as found in System Preferences). I'm guessing there is a setting in the Gqrx preferences for the "Build-in" audio device that it is trying to select & failing. Just a guess right now. - MLD

Alexandru Csete

Dec 21, 2015, 4:34:02 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Michael Dickens <m...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 02:30 PM, Alexandru Csete wrote:
>> In the gqrx binary I have I can only select "Default" audio output
>> device and then decide which hardware to use under system preferences.
>> In system preferences, I can switch between audio devices even while
>> gqrx is running. As I remember this is the intended behavior, no?
>
> Good question.
>
> In my testing with just GR, I find that I can select whichever audio
> device I want to from the command-line. It does't matter which is
> selected in the System Preferences Sound panel. OS X directs the sound
> to any legitimate output audio device, and I can select that device from
> the CLI or GRC interface via a specific string.

I think I found an explanation for my confusion. I somehow ended up
building the gqrx binary without GQRX_OS_MACX defined so I do not have
the device listing code enabled in gqrx.app. It's probably again one
of the cmake issues that need to be sorted out.

There is very little exception handling in gqrx and none with respect
to audio. I have once tried to do exception handling but found it hard
to do anything meaningful with an exception coming from the gnuradio
flowgraph.

Alex