2.14.4 only for macOS Catalina ?

Alex Gorski

Feb 21, 2021, 1:42:48 AM2/21/21
to Gqrx SDR
that one hurts.
waiting for a DMG is now only rewarded with an exclusion of macOS 10.14 Mojave.

my 2 macs are also my working machines and I have to keep them under Mojave because of some old 32bit tools that are indispensable ... until a new mac can be purchased.

was this exclusion necessary ?
do the builds from macports have the same limitation ?

( what was the command line to type in macports to get a build from there ? )

righthal...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 10:30:43 AM2/21/21
to Gqrx SDR
macports -

port install gqrx

righthal...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 10:32:06 AM2/21/21
to Gqrx SDR
Opps -

make that -

sudo port install gqrx

Alex Gorski

Feb 22, 2021, 6:32:56 AM2/22/21
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you, already found out that sudo command.

Getting the same errors as months before, this time with a new Macports install on 2 different Macs.

And since I don't know if the resulting build would be "old OS friendly", I'm abandoning that path.

Still baffled that an app like GQRX would be suddenly be only compatible with Catalina and upwards.

There has been no communication/explanation on the reasons.

righthal...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2021, 10:01:12 AM2/22/21
to Gqrx SDR
You could use SdrGlut - it works fine on Mojave and Catalina -

You are getting the same errors on macports, because you have not done an uninstall.
Just follow the uninstall instructions that should clean up the install errors -

Andrea Lawendel

Feb 22, 2021, 11:29:04 AM2/22/21
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I'm running 2.14.4 on a High Sierra (10.13.6)  MacBook Air. Install via MacPorts, but you may be getting errors in that environment due to some glitches with gnuradio latest Mac Ports update, causing gnuradio install to fail (if you're tring to install gnuradio dependencies during your Gqrx port, that is).

Please refer to discussion in:

and the following from user NF6X:

As of 2021-01-16, starting from a clean and up-to-date MacPorts installation, I still need to run:
sudo port -sn upgrade --force gobject-introspection gdk-pixbuf2 atk
in order to install gnuradio. I think it's the same issue reported here.

With this, I managed to correctly install gnuradio 3.8.2.0 and after that Gqrx port went on smoothly.

Hope it helps,
Andy

Alex Gorski

Feb 22, 2021, 3:06:56 PM2/22/21
to Gqrx SDR
Thx Andy for all these details.

Had a clean Macports Installed after having previously removed it, months ago, from my system, uninstalled the Macports official way.

Will give it another try with these new instruction about gnu. Later ...
For now,  I'm worn out editing videos one after the other.

I feel no pleasure having to go through all this. Not enough geekblood in my veins I guess.
It's not my main hobby to use procedures that remind me of my horrible Windows years.

One related question : Once GQRX is build on one computer, what needs to be done to get a "portable" version, where all the dependencies are in a bundle with the app ?
Want to be able to transfer the goods to another Mac, without having to spend another hour installing Macports and it's huge amount of dependencies followed by 40 min session to get GQRX in a usable state ?

What does it take to get a real .dmg installer, compatible with at least Mojave ?
Has the official dmg file been limited to having at least Catalina because of the same OS version of the host computer creating the dmg ?

BTW :

Had SdrGlut for some weeks and it's even worse to handle than Cubic.
Minimalistic layout, an X11 generated gui ( hello Windblows 98 !!! ) and terminal open ...

Sorry, not my taste. But thanks righthalfplane for the tip. Always good to know.

Thank you guys for your help and advice.

alex

Andrea Lawendel

Feb 22, 2021, 6:53:43 PM2/22/21
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Yes, I konw how you feel, with me it's the same, not enough geekblood!

It has never occurred to me, but migration policy under Macports looks pretty straightforward:

What I've no idea about is how to produce a .dmg binary install version of anything. AFAIK the most recent Gqrx .dmg available goes back to version 2.11.5. The Macports guide has a section devoted to .pkg o .dmg binaries creation, but I've never had the opportunity to experiment with them.

Andy

Alex Gorski

Feb 22, 2021, 7:26:37 PM2/22/21
to Gqrx SDR
Yep, 2.11.5 was also my last install with a dmg.

Apart from healthy breaks from my editing duties to write to this group, my brain is not ventilated enough to comprehend some Macports subtleties ...

Whenever I get some off-time, I'll try again, or maybe the creative person behind those latest dmgees could confirm that his/her creation was indeed biaised towards Catalina & BigSur because these were the OSes used to build the dmg.

Now, you telling me that the build from Macports is still compatible with Mojave and even High Sierra, keeps my hopes alive.

Thanks Andy for your help & advice.

Let me get some fresh air 'til then.

It's about time to go for a deep sleep here in France  .....