Cannot open rtlsdr device

David Toombs

Jul 14, 2015, 11:42:45 AM7/14/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'm running Linux Mint 17 and I'm trying to get Gqrx to work with my RTL2838UHIDIR USB dongle. Each time I try I get the following errors:

$ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using Volk machine: ssse3_32_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000013

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted

If I'm reading this right it seems to suggest that something else has "grabbed" the dongle and Gqrx cant access it, but I have no idea what or how to resolve this.
Can anyone help be trouble shoot this please?

AndreaVi

Jul 14, 2015, 1:24:06 PM7/14/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Before launching gqrx, type " sudo rmmod  dvb_usb_rtl28xxu "
see if it works,

David Toombs

Jul 15, 2015, 6:02:13 AM7/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
That worked perfectly, many thanks.

David Toombs

Jul 15, 2015, 6:52:52 AM7/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Only issue now is I have to run:

sudo rmmod  dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

everytime before I start gqrx, is there any way to make this change permanent?

Simon Kennedy

Jul 15, 2015, 9:35:59 AM7/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

There is, search 'blacklist' in this group archives and you will find a few messages covering the subject.

David Toombs

Jul 15, 2015, 10:15:37 AM7/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Simon, I've added the TV dongle to the blacklist now and it work 100%.